Danny's "poor mans Spitty"

Danny Fenton

Advert

What I did was fit the wing to the fus with some cling film between the two parts to stop thenm acidently becoming one. Then I cut a 64th ply facing for the wing leading edge. This was glued in place and then packing pieces were added to the fus lower section to try and make it deeper, and make the wing look as though it was recessed further than it actually is. Then the wing underside leading edge was sheeted in soft balsa sheet and sanded to the shape you see. It isn't perfect but improves things somewhat. Just watch out if you are using the dowels as I said pages ago. The wing cannot really tilt to disengage the dowels and this fairing will make it wors. I think this is why Simon Delanaey left this fairing off his.

I will be amazed if any of that made sense, so hopefully the pictures will help

0605.jpg

0606.jpg

0608.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Thanks for the compressor /spray gun advice Danny. Just bought the TG2 gun and a 2hp compressor.

Sprayed the white roundel and really pleased. The only problem is that I used Tamiya acrylics for the white coat and it's costing a fortune for the little pots, which hardly cover the bottom of the spray gun.

I wonder if using warbird paint for the red and blue would react with the dried white acrylic?

Anyone any thoughts?

Apologies to Danny, it's not my intention to hijack this thread.

Hi Charles, great well done I have some Warbird paints in the roundel colours much more cost effective I don't think the warbird paint will react, but I certainly would do a test first if I were you.

No Hijack away

There have been several questions regarding airbrushes and compressors over the last few months, not just on this forum, so don't be surprised if you see some of this in the next scale column in the magazine I do try to focus on what people ask though its not always easy to do that.

The airbrush I linked too, that was under £20 with three needles and jets arrived and even includes a nice 3 metre braided hose. Can't go wrong at that price, though the action of the trigger isn't a patch on the Iwata, but then I wouldn't expect it too, it was a tenth the price!

Cheers

Danny

Thanks Danny, I've been eyeing up the Iwata RG3, but can't really justify that kind of outlay. It looks as though it would do the whole range of jobs.

I have an Aztek airbrush which I bought about 10 years ago and has sat there unused until now. The set comes with interchangeable nozzles of various sizes up to 1.2mm. It was fine for doing the fuselage roundel, but wasn't up to the wing ones.

Hi Charles, just re-read your post! The TG2 is for spraying an entire model and fast, as it has a full size (automotive 1:1) spray head. I am hardly surprised it has eaten the paint....

For roundels I use a .3mm or better still a .5mm airbrush

If the Aztek wont work, try that airbrush set for under £20, you will need a regulator and connection reducers to get the pressure and connector sizes down from 1/4 BSP to the smaller 1/8 BSP fitting probably on the airbrush. You would also need that for the Aztek.

Cheers

Danny

Managed a little time over the weekend to make a start on the upper wing surfaces. I have modified my stitching to make them just a tiny bit more pronounced, not much, just a little

0760 (large).jpg

0761 (large).jpg

What I am doing differently to the original technique is i am adding a drop of thin CA to the stitches to harden them just before they get covered in the tape. A fiddly job but seems to have worked nicely. Hopefully it hasn't overdone things.

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 16/02/2015 16:47:06

I have bit the bullet and added the upper rib stitching, and the Proskin/G10 strip that gives a sharp edge to the leading edge, where alloy meets Fabric. With hind sight I should have just used solartex half an inch forward and glassed over it, with a masking/electrical tape demarcation. It is going to be difficult to see the difference doing it my way especially at this scale, and would have been so much simpler crook

0762 (large).jpg

Cheers

Danny

Hi John, no I haven't glassed over tex, plenty of people have, I am just a bit nervous about the tex relaxing it's grip on the balsa. Perhaps if you give the area you are going to overcoat a coat of Balsaloc to make sure?

I have been struggling with this bit in my head for months, and am still not happy with the solution I have come up with But I will keep going and we will see how it looks.

Cheers

Danny

Make sure you take pics John so we can all benefit

Hi Martyn, I have used the shroud technique, except I have used G10/Proskin instead of ply, it's thinner Perhaps its not clear in the photos??

I think there was a sketch drawn by David? as to how this strip is done. Its quite difficult to put into words.

But basically a strip of pinked tape is clamped against the spar top, along with the main surface fabric with this pinked strip laying forwards towards the leading edge out of the way. Then it is layed back over the clamp to seal the join. What you see under this pinked strip is not rivets but screw heads, which is why I have used glue dots to try and simulate this.

Cheers

Danny

I have kindly been given clearance to get some close-up pics of the Cosford Chippy on Thursday. It is a bit hemmed in so I am really not sure what I will get, but I will definitely be looking at the wing fairing!

Must print a few incremented paper strips in preparation.

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 18/02/2015 22:24:02

Well the phot shoot went okay I still need to fine tune my technique with the camera as the lighting inside Cosford's Hanger 3 is not good and to be sheltered from what light there is by a Nimrod is not good

Anyway though not as well lit as taking the pics outside, I think they capture all the parts I need. I took 313 and they take up 5.7Gb so I will have to shrink them down a bit to squeeze them onto a 4.7Gb DVD if anybody wants one.

Here is a sample:

dsc_0395.jpg

The shadow underneath was my error needed to be further away as the lens shielded the flash

The size of the pics are such that if you zoom in this is that same picture....

dsc_0395 zoomed.jpg

Cheers

Danny