Something a bit Batty

Ok so a bit more of an update, figured I might as well push on and show the build to completion then go back to the beginning just to confuse, then it is called 'Batty'.

Tail now completed with rudder and elevator covered and hinged with mylar strip and cyno and pinned with cocktail sticks. Also cut the slots for the control snakes, these are on the top surface as the model will be belly landed so keeps everything out of the way. I'll support the rods further down with some wire supports or similar but they will get lost once painted.

s1030055.jpg

Hatches also now cut out from the fuselage for the battery bay and radio bay. These have been end faced with 3mm balsa for added strength and will fit a couple of high strength magnets to secure each later. The rudder and elevator servos will drop into the wing so some holes and ply plates have yet to be done.

s1030057.jpg

A dig around in the shed located this Emax 22200/07 brushless which should be 1200kv circa 300watts at about 30amps on a 9-10inch prop so should be ok for this model on a 3 cell 2200 lipo.

s1030059.jpg

Next job is to get the horns fitted on the tail surfaces and the servos mounted in the fuselage, then sort the aileron servos before getting some paint work done, fit the motor, receiver and go fly. Bet it takes a bit longer than that sounds though!

s1030058.jpg

More soon. Linds vamp

Little bit of an update, firstly the aileron servos (Hitec HS85 MG) have been fitted into the wing using the plastic fixing plates screwed onto a ply plate so that the servos sit on there sides, a long servo output on then connects to the aileron horn with a 2mm connecting rod. I will finish the job by using a solartex patch over the servo later.

s1030062.jpg

The aileron servo leads pass through holes pre cut in the ribs to the centre section were the rudder and elevator servos are mounted and connected with a 'Y' lead. The rudder and elevator servos (Hitec HS 225MG) simply sit in a hole in the wing skin with two 3mm ply strips glued to the surface of the wing in the fuselage cavity and screwed in place. Surprisingly more space than I though there might be so sighting the receiver should be straight forward enough forward of the servos.

s1030061.jpg

I'll make up a simple screw fixing for this hatch as access hopefully will just be for periodic checks and servicing.

Almost ready for paint now. Linds

Edited By Lindsay Todd on 06/06/2014 22:13:38

Couple of jobs to start with including fixing the hatches then time to drill a hole in the front former for the motor wires to pass through then line up the motor and screw into position, no side or down thrust at this stage, will decide what it needs after the first flight.

s1030064.jpg

Next job as you can tell from the above photo is starting the paint work. Now this has the opportunity to be an absolute masterpiece or an absolute catastrophic disaster. The idea is to make it look a little furry / feathery in places with some skeletal structures across the wing. On the plus side this requires some fairly free art work but it could easily end up looking like something even Liverpool Tate Gallery would turn there nose up at. Stage one is to get the basic shadow dark colour down, I'll then hopefully add some colour texture and highlights so the end result will be a good deal lighter but will still have a fair bit of open solartex.

s1030063.jpg

I might go for something simpler on the underside. More as I botch it up. Linds

Lecture mode begin warning...

Bats are scientifically known as chiroptera, which means, from the Latin (or is it Greek) hand wing. (I have just looked it up to correct the spelling - it was Greek.)

If you look at your piccie, the four black bits on the wing correspond to the finger bones of a hand. That's right - four fingers. I have been checking, and I also have a thumb. So does a bat. To complete the image you need a bit of something sticking out of the front of the wing to represent the thumb and its claw. (My hand has a nail, not a claw. The parallels are not perfect.) Might I suggest a snippet of felt, rubber, or silicone tube might do.

Lecture Mode Off

Love the model though!

Plummet

Plummet, I feel you have a golden opportunity to go down in the natural history scientific world as someone whom has discovered a brand new species with several genetic abnormalities that makes Darwin's theory a complete farce. I leave this historic moment and indeed the glory that will no doubt descend to your good self to appropriately document in National Geographic or other such scientific journals. Linds p.s. like the silicon tube idea though.

Well now, Lindsay, you have got me going. Lecture Mode On again.

You may of may not be aware that a few years ago the British species, the Pipistrelle Bat was discovered to actually not be one, but two species. (This is a bit of a fib - as a second species had been suggested many years before, but most experts could not tell the difference.) The newer (Please don't be picky.) species, Pipistrellus pygmaeus could only practicably be distinguished from the older species Pipistrellus pipistrellus either by the use of DNA testing or by the use of a bat detector that can tell you the frequency of the bat's echolocation sounds. This leads the Common Pipistrelle (Pipistrellus pipistrellus) to now be generally known as the 45 pip, and the other species, Pipistrellus pygmaeus, to be known as the 55 pip or the soprano pipistrelle. This is because they use maximum echolocation frequencies of 45 kHz and 55 kHz respectively.

Lecture Mode Off. (but be warned!)

So when your new species takes to the air we need to think of a suitable scientific name for it. It is sure to be popular. The common (45) pipistrelle is probably Britain's commonest bat - although all British bats are in trouble and their numbers are declining.

Being a new common species it is natural to think of your bat as being a new species of pipistrelle. So what shall we call it.

One common name must be Lindsay's Pip, or Todd's Pip.

A few years ago it might have also been the 27MHz or the 35MHz pip. Now I suspect that the 2.4GHz pip might be more suitable. This does not solve the problem of the scientific name.

Pipistrellus is the given - given the above assumptions. (If required I could add some alternative suggestions in order to prevent this posting being less incomplete although somewhat longer. You have only to ask.)

The second part of the name must include a part based either on 'Lindsay' or 'Todd' . What else should be included? A number of possibilities have occurred to me. I am sure that others may well be able to make better suggestions.

• Pipistrellus Toddlipolicus
  • Pipistrellus Lindsaywizzabouticus

All pipistrelles are insectivorous. They normally catch large numbers of small insects in their mouths as they are flying. Your specimen seems to have a curious adaptation in order to increase the area swept for insects while hunting. It appears to have some sort of blades at the front that will presumably swat insects, reduce them to a soupy consistency, and direct them back to the bat's mouth.

• Pipistrellus Lindsayliquisizicus

But I await other's suggestions.

Plummet

That thing at the front is for catching insects. I know because I have a similar one on the front of a plane, and while the engine was running on the ground I once saw a large blowfly fly into it. However, no recognisable parts of a blowfly were observed to emerge behind it. Therefore I deduce that the blowfly got eaten.

John

Of course, we may be being a bit short sighted here, restricting ourselves to relatives of our local bat species.

All bat species (so far) are members of two groups. The Mega-Chiroptera, which are the large Fruit Bats, Flying Foxes and the like, and the Micro-Chiroptera, which are, as you would guess, smaller, and by and large, eat insects. (There are exceptions. There are bats that eat fungus, frogs, and of course blood, but these are rare exceptions.)

Should we be thinking of a new group now. Perhaps, the Balsa-Chiroptera?

Incidentally, several experts believe that Balsa trees are pollinated by bats.

Plummet

p.s. And keep your fingers clear of the hunting blades in case your specimen tends towards feeding on blood.

Hi Steve, my original though was for fur on the fuz, might go back and do it at a later stage. For now I have done a bit more artwork, still more to do but it's coming along ok. Decided to get the 'details' done so a couple of ping pong balls acquired cut a quarter off and glued in place with rc modellers glue, if I get time I will fit a couple of led's inside the cavities so they can light up at night.

s1030067.jpg

With that done it was time to make up the ears, for these I had a few off cuts of brown leather used for ww1 cockpit surrounds etc that I picked up some years ago. I used a 22" prop tip to draw around to get the right sort of shape. Now I want this to flap a bit in the wind but hold some shape on the ground so I have used some tie wrap lengths glued down the centre and then fold the leather around itself at the base to get a bit of a curve shape, again all done with rc modeller glue. When dry I cut the tie wrap lengths leaving a 3-4mm excess and poked holes behind the eyes and glued the ears into place. Final job add a couple of pupils.

s1030070.jpg

s1030071.jpg

Bit more paint and detailing work but not far away from that first flight, not sure quite what finish to do on the underside yet, possibly the same maybe more sport model or even just plain - not sure. More soon. Linds