Martyn's Chippie RCAF 671

Martyn K

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it has flown. Nice day but a bit blustery and a 45degree cross wind. But it flew quite nicely. Picked its tail up a bit sooner than expected on take off and it was a bit too soon do was a bit sluggish and risk if a tip stall for a few seconds but once up to speed it was lovely. Stooging around on half throttle, a bit too sensitive on elevator and needed more aileron throw but very gltable. A couple of rolls in both directions and a loop that was far too tight confirmed my suspicions about the throws but apart from that it was OK until I tried to land. Heck, it doesn't half float on and with a strong cross wind and little headwind, it took an age to get the descent right but eventually I got it down in one piece.

A few little jobs to do but feeling quite chuffed. Only took 4 years and 17 days. Many thanks to Danny, couldn't have done this without you. dsc_1214.jpg

Well Martyn did take the Chippy to Ashbourne and flew it a treat in quite blustery conditions. The model handled really well and Martyn gave it a pretty good wringing out. It looked as if he'd been flying it for some time, so I was surprised to learn that the first flight of several at Ashbourne was only the model's second time in the air, replete with loops, rolls and stall turns. A great big WELL DONE is in order!! The model looked so neat in flight that I now think that I too need a Chippy!

Gordon

P.S. Despite having only limited rudder throw, it also spins very nicely.

The biggest problem is getting it to slow down, even on tick over you have to hold the nose down to get it to descend,,

The stall is very mushy but it will flick if you are careless. Or at least mine does..

Martyn

The solution to getting the power source to slow down is quite easy. Just ask Gordon because I'm quite sure he doesn't have that problem with his Tiggie. Sorry I'm beig so contentious

I hadn't realised your flying of the Chippie was at such an early stage of what I hope is a long one in its career. It flew well, or in any case you flew it well. It looked great. Pity the wind was in such a tricky direction.

Geoff