Chips with everything

Nev

Advert

Not sure I can give you a make, this was just one of the cheep plastic ones you find in model shop bins, mine came from Leeds but everybody has them, shows etc. Pretty sure it was 2 1/2 inch before I cut the skirt off, just happens to be a good shape.

Mine came from Leeds model shop, they have them listed as "Radio Active" although the generic photo shows random shapes, they all seemed to be the same type that came to a point when I was in, although it was quite a while ago.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more done. I think this is the last of the building jobs.

dscf1570.jpg

I didn’t want to build it completely of foam, I needed it to be a bit more rugged, so I rummaged around for some light balsa and build up the tail cone

dscf1572.jpg

Sanded down and a bit of filler to smooth it out it came out better than expected.

dscf1573.jpg

I’m not usually very good at all these curvy bits, wing fillets etc. but they have turned out ok this time.

I have even put some foil around the cockpit ready the some paint and weathering. Haven’t gone mad with the foil. Pilot in the front, seat cushion in the back will cover up most of the bare bits.

dscf1576.jpg

Now I have run out of things to do, so am going to have to get the covering done before I can carry on. Still a lot to do with the covering and finishing but if I’d realised how close I was to finishing the build I might not have left it so long before picking this back up again.

Nev.

• 10 months later...

Hi all.

Well it’s been a funny old year to say the least but look what I’ve been up to lately.

dscf1585.jpg

The rib tapes are hand cut from offcuts ( not as time consuming as you might think ) so have a straight edge but I can live with that at this scale and it keeps the cost down a bit.

dscf1593.jpg

I also have the wings covered but not painted yet. Hopefully thing have steadied down now for a while and the plan is to get this flying for the summer. So more soon. Nev

Cheers folks.

The fuselage isn’t covered yet Martyn, I rely on a soft focus to improve the build quality. Not sure what I am going to cover it with yet but it will be something simple.

Tail feathers are covered in White solartex and sprayed with Halfords - Aluminium rattle can. It’s simple and I think the colour is quite realistic.

Nev.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

I have been trying out some brown paper covering and so far I’m pleased with the way it’s going.

dscf1609.jpg

Now if you’re practised in glass cloth and epoxy resin then you are not going to be convinced by brown paper but without too much effort you do get a pretty smooth finish.

dscf1596.jpg

I practised on this little bit under the tail first, I’ve been sanding down the edge as I go so as not to get to much of an overlap and it will need a coat of varnish and a very light sanding before painting but glad I tried it.

Have a Happy New Year everybody. Nev.

Nev, the brown paper treatment looks really good - are you ironing it on? I tried it once on a homemade foam wing and it seemed to take ages; I used diluted pva which made the paper go very wrinkly but I then used my film iron to smooth it out - the heat dried the paper and it shrunk as I did so. I was pleased with the result but cant help but think I went about it the wrong way. I'd be interested to hear how you did it.

Presumably you can overlap the joints and rub them down with wet or dry afterwards - does that affect the surface texture or do you then varnish over the whole thing?

Best wishes

Trevor

Edited By Trevor Rushton on 02/01/2017 09:38:17

Hi.

I’m no expert, as this is the first time I’ve done this. All I’m doing is wetting the paper on the dull side ( don’t be afraid to dip it into a bowl of water !) paint slightly watered down PVA onto the model, lay it on, smooth out with a credit card and let it dry. I’ve only used an iron to stick down the odd tricky edge I’m not going over the whole thing.

Yes I am sanding over the overlaps and I will varnish it to hopefully bring back the finish but I’ll let you know how that goes after I’ve done it.

The advantage with this for me is that it’s not a big commitment time wise, 10 – 20 minutes at a go and you can progress you way down the model. Once you get set up it is quite quick, whilst I’ve been posting this I could have put another couple of pieces on but then I let things dry. Slow maybe but at least its progress.

If you were doing a foamy maybe don’t thin the PVA, just make sure the paper is wet so it goes around the curves and then let it dry, a lot of the wrinkle’s will go as it dries and shrinks. It shrinks a lot so if you are doing a wing do both sides together and keep it flat.

Nev.

Edited By Nev on 02/01/2017 11:58:00