Chips with everything

Nev

Well thats very worrying, although it feels strong enough, it is only normal solder. I am not going to recomend them anymore!

If you want to silver solder it is really easy I use a Propane/Butane blow lamp from B and Q made by GoSystem.

the silver solder I use is matched to a powdered flux called easyflo No. 2 the flux was only 2 or three pounds the solder is a bit more pricey but one rod has lasted years.

Thanks for the info Charles very interesting and alarming too.

Cheers

Danny

Hi

Silver solder would give piece of mind. The elevator joiner is a critical part.

Silver soldering is not difficult to do but you can't do it with a soldering iron.

Apart from making exhaust manifolds & the like I have never used anything but soft solder. A Soft soldered joint can be considerably strengthened by first binding it with wire ( copper wire or fuse wire will do) This gives a much bigger surface area for the solder.

You pays your money & takes your choice. I used soft solder but it will get a good pull in the vice.

Remember the 4 rules of soldering : 1) KEEP THE PARTS CLEAN, 2 ) same as 1, 3) ensure the parts fit well, 4) use an iron thats big enough.

I have just hung a 10lb wiegh from the end of the eevator horn. That will do for me.

Cheers John

John you must have a good one there. I used a airline baggage pull gauge, and the solder joint gave way at 8.5lbs which is actually loads more than I expected so it is probably okay to use. I dare say the tail would break under thos sorts of loads. Perhaps 6lbs should be a good go-no-go test?

What do others think?

Cheers

Danny

Well just for fun I clamped the legs of the joiner in the vice and hung a 5 kg weight from the horn, didn't budge although the wire trace twanged a bit.

Then I got a bit more done on the tailplain. First plained the leading edge to shape.

dscf1350.jpg

Then I made some little boxes around where the hinges fit. Finally fitted the first of the skins.

Well I finished a bit. I know it doesn't look like much but I've given it a good eyeballing,checked it where I can and it looks square to me, so thats the first bit done, at least for now.

dscf1356.jpg

Thats pretty good going for my usual building speed, so it may be a while before the next installment.

Nev.

Well done Kev! Together we`ll make a decent job of these Chippies! I had a day off. SWMBO req`d my presence 30 miles away at 7.30 am to be a marshall at her running clubs 5 and 10K races. Naturally it was cold and raining but I did get my first opportunity to wear a yellow jacket and direct traffic on French roads! Early night tonight.

Terry

This is what’s been happening this week. Faffed around a bit at first, I couldn’t see how the ribs were going to be deep enough.

dscf1361.jpg

In the end I just made it with a slightly oversized leading edge, convinced that I would have to add thin slivers to the ribs to make the depth correct.

dscf1364.jpg

Now I’ve got both sides done and had a trial fit I think they’re going to be ok. Still a lot of planning and sanding to do and a little fettling around the hinges but happier than I was a day or so ago

• 3 weeks later...

Been a bit busy this last couple of weeks so not a lot done, been keeping up with the blogs though on an almost hourly basis. Got the elevators finished, hinged and joined so at least I can put this aside for now.

dscf1369.jpg

Made a start on the fin, laminating the LE made making the rest of the frame a doodle.

dscf1366.jpg

Just got it to sheet and knock up the rudder so I can get cracking on the wings.

Speaking of which, I won’t be trying to make any adjustments for the sake of scale appearances, the plan is as scale as I need it to be right now. Although I may be more inclined to fit mini servos in the wings and access hatched underneath but let’s get there first.

Nev.