Chips with everything

Nev

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

Thanks for the comments lads. It may look like I'm lagging behind a bit but this is pretty good pace for me. Anyway wings are finished and I'm well pleased with the way they have turned out, so thanks again for the encouragement.

dscf1447.jpg

I like dowels at the front and a wing bolt at the trailing edge but as Dany pointed out it does mean a gap at the back, so I have gone with John's suggestion of angling the rear fairing plates forward to minimise the gap.

dscf1445.jpg

Not the best photo but it should be ok. Fuselage next, be good to have a change but I didn't want to put the wing aside until I hade most of it done, I don't think I would have wanted to go back to it.
Nev.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting a bit more done. First made the battery box, this is just a square light ply box with a 1/8 birch ply doubler at the front, same dimensions as the original bearers and going back to F4 so it doesn’t enter the cockpit. I think everybody has worked that bit out. A 3000mAh, 5S fits in easily

dscf1453.jpg

Next the big bit.

dscf1454.jpg

dscf1455.jpg

I found F3 a funny shape so when I had reached this point, I dry fitted and no way was it going to fit so trimmed it back to where I thought it should be.

dscf1451.jpg

Now I’m on with the planking. This is a first for me and I have to say it’s an experience. It just seems odd cutting up some lovely 3/32 sheet and then trying to stick it back together again.

dscf1457.jpg

Having said that I don’t think I would have been able to roll a piece of sheet around the formers and get the nice curves I have with this. It’s coming on and I’m really pleased with it.

Nev.

Hi, first half done and yes Nigel it is sort of fun frown I think I'll spend a little time tidying it up a bit then crack on with the second half before I have chance to think about it.

The motor bulkhead is a birch and light ply sandwich, thick enough for the inserts so plenty of gluing area. To be honest if that joint fails I wouldn't hold out much hope for the rest of the frame, too late now anyway.

Nev.

• 2 weeks later...

Well that’s both fuselage halves done. I even braved it out in the garage tonight for a while for a bit of sanding and yes John it is a pleasure to see it all smother in, although I was a little worried I might be getting a bit heavy handed so I didn’t go mad.

dscf1461.jpg

I am quite surprised at how light they feel but yet still quite rigid, 170 g for the pair. So I think that’s all the big bits built, just a case of assembling it all together now eh.smiley

dscf1458.jpg

I have done a rough cut out for the wing seat but still a lot to do there. I need to have a bit of a think before I fix the dowels and wing bolt.

Thanks chaps. Wing seats now fitted, that’s a good job done. smiley I wasn’t looking forward to them I had visions on wonky wings and all sorts of disasters but it all seems to be reasonably straight and level.

dscf1465.jpg

I also marked the position of the wing dowels while it was all clamped together. Their now fitted as well and waiting for the glue to go off.

dscf1467.jpg

It feels like I’m getting somewhere at the moment, should be plain sailing from here. cheeky

Such a big gap and so few bits of wood !!

dscf1468.jpg

All I’ve managed to do so far is fit G2 and then juggle the little bits trying to work out what it is supposed to look like. Has anybody got a good shot from the back, like this but with the fairing in place.

dscf1470.jpg

I’ll have another go tonight and hopefully figure it out.

Thanks. I meant the model but actually the real one helps.

I was trying to gauge how far up / down the fuselage it needed to go. I tried marking bits off the plan and 3 view but wasn’t quite prepared for how big it needed to be so didn’t really trust what I was doing.

I had looked at all the photos people have added and thought I know exactly what shape it needed to be but had trouble visualising where the bit of wood went. I think I will be ok when I have another go. smiley

Nev.

Just a little update, not much done really but the fairing is done, at least the rear part. It’s not perfect but unlike John’s it’s not coming off again and it will be better with a bit of smoothing in.

dscf1473.jpg

dscf1481.jpg

Not much else done though, been staling a bit deciding what to do next. Fit the tail feathers I suppose.

Nev.