Chips with everything

Nev

Fin and rudder finished at last, I'm sure you've all got one by now. All sanded, hinges glued into the rudder, just needs covering. I am finding this is taking a lot longer than I anticipated, not the building as such it all the sanding to shape and fitting the hinges, blocks and finishing.

dscf1372.jpg

Not complaining though its quite different from the kind of thing I usually build and I am enjoying it. So bits packed away for now, bench cleared down ready for the wings. More fiddly bits no doubt, according to those that are there already. smiley

Nev.

Not exactly Nigel, Im going to try a 3 part wing build if I can, just because my work space is limited.

I wanted to have a dry run tonight to work out how I was going to tackle it but I just unpacked all the ribs and found half are missing. I have 4 of some sheets and none of others, should have checked earlier. sad

Hi Andy. I remember seeing yor posts but didn't check mine properly, just a quick check showerd about the right number.

When I found I had some missing, I thought the same thing but strangely I have 4 sets of all those. The ones I'm missing are 7 8 9 10 etc. and the small ones at the tip. Thanks for the offer though, I'll call Traplet tomorrow and if I don't get anywhere I'll pm you the missing ones just in case.

Nev.

Hi Andy. Thanks for the number, the one on my invoice didn’t work. I’ve been away with work so couldn’t do anything until now.

I’ve just spoken to Paul and it looks like I’m sorted, missing ribs should be on the way, no problem at all with Traplet. Once I mentioned your name, many doors were opened, wink Paul knew all about it.

Thanks again. Nev.

And we're off. Missing ribs arrived from Traplet so I couldn’t put if off any longer.

dscf1375.jpg

I’m adopting the Nigel Day wing building approach. 3 part wing, left right and a middle section with a tapered wedge to set the trailing edges. At least I think that’s what he’s doing, I’ve read so many build blogs they are all starting to merge. My cunning plan was to make the wedge out of 1/8 sheet so I can glue the ribs straight to it as I go and will trim the excess of later. I have also put blocks onto the waste part 1/8 from the top to act as a guide to set the trailing edge when it’s time to fit that.

I hope I’m not trying to be too cunning, we will see.

Nev.

Edited By Nev on 18/11/2014 21:23:41

Hi Nev.

Yes, that's how I did it, but without gluing the wedge to the ribs. I thought about using it to position the trailing edge correctly but since that wouldn't be cut exactly to size, did it another way.

For the trailing and leading edge, I put a line down the centre of both strips (LE and TE). I then marked each rib, both sides, LE and TE, with centre marks. After all the ribs were glued in place as you're doing now, I then used those marks to line up each rib and glued it to the TE and then the LE.

I used the DF false LE method as well and will be sheeting over the first half LE.

As you'll have read before, the sanding/trimming of the LE and TE are 'fun' - with the ribs being so thin and vulnerable. Still, with a little care it not too difficult.

Just remembered in time to tape the plan to the window so I could trace trough to the other side, otherwise it would have been next weekend before I saw any daylight.

dscf1378.jpg

So now I can start on wing 2. The first is pretty much to plan except I’m fitting servos in the wings so have made ribs 10 and 11 a bit stronger.

Nev.