Antonov......

Danny Fenton

I dont know whether its an age thing, having been around aviation all my life, but it still amazes me that the air can support an aircraft of any mass. I understand the science, but it still never fails to amaze me......

Ooo and watch out for the Dreamliner, at 1:35 look at the wing flex...... scary....

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 05/06/2014 09:07:15

Advert

Hi Danny

What I think was more scary was the fin and tailplane fluttering on the Antonov as it was running up the engines at the end of the runway. I didn't expect that. There must have been several feet of movement at the tip of the fin.

Regarding flexi wings, when I worked at Heathrow, we always said that there was two schools of aircraft design strategy.

The British aircraft at the time, (BAC1-11, Trident etc) always had a very rigid structure with very little movement of the wings in flight, there was very little flex, while the American aircraft always seem to have very flexible structures. You could see (as you could on the Dreamliner), several feet of dihedral appear (on Boeings, Lockheeds and McDs) as the aircraft accelerated to take off velocity. I was always intrigued how they could allow a wing to be so flexible in bending yet maintain adequate torsional rigidity, which clearly they did.

M

Strewth Andy, that must take some "chucking" of a hill, I presume its a sloper?

Hi Martyn, Yep I noticed that, the engines were run up to what looked like full power and held on the brakes for quite some time too, which surprised me. I guess they really didn't want an engine failure at takeoff. I guess they have done their sums with regards the flexing crook the Airbus flex a fair bit too.

Cheers

Danny

Notice how the Emirates A380 fin towers well above the Antonov's fins, but back in it's day the An was a truly impressive machine. As a comparison, the six An engines produce just over 300,000lbs of thrust, where as the four engines of the Emirates A380 produce roughly 320,000lbs of thrust.

The full size Antonov, flew over our field during the last year, possibly 6 months back, apparently having departed Ringway.

The A380 (Emirates) flies over the field on a regular basis, at about 14:30. Perhaps not as impressive, as I suspect it is always a good bit higher than the Antonov was.

Both impressive though, even from the ground.

I do not think either has impressed (that should be annoyed) with noise, both being quiet. I have noticed very recently that a ATP flying over (not seen one for a bit) was noisier than most of the pure Turbo/Fan Jets that fly over on a regular basis.