98" Depron C-130 Hercules Scratchbuild

Advert

Evening chaps.....and Monz if you're lurkin

Thanks for all the comments. Feeling an air of excited anticipation of what might happen on Sunday. The weather is looking sort of promising and i can't make any excuses about the Herc' not being ready. Well, I suppose I could, I haven't done the rivetting details on the model which should take a month or so laugh......
So, today, with Sunday as target day for maiden, set to ensuring everything would be ready. Rudder and both elevator servos needed installing and pushrods connecting so did those first. Next job and one that I had quietly being avoiding and worrying about slightly was sorting and setting up CG. There is a 100" Hercules kit available and having glanced at the recommended setups, have used their data for CG. That's to say 95mm to 100mm back from LE.
Now, not being one to make excuses but I put my back out a couple of days ago and have been struggling to kneel, bend or sit etc and lugging around this huge Depron Hercules was going to be nigh on impossible, enlisted the help of Charles (Pilot-Chuckle).fridup.jpg
Charles beneath the model having taken pity on me and the bad back
Another problem became apparent too, the Great Planes CG machine would not be wide enough to take the fat-bodied Hercules. No worries, a portable fold-down picnic table would do the job nicely. fridup1.jpgStood with it's feet upwards made for the perfect Hercules CG machine. This is where Charles did his bit. He sort of laid beneath the model to line up the CG marks beneath the wing and supported it whilst I added small amounts of lead to a plastic bag that was pinned to the nose of the model.

It turns out that to get the model to balance at the desired spot, I needed to add close on to 120g of additional weight.
A disused, dead NimH Sub'C' battery pack weighed in at precisely 120g and so was stripped down to it's 5 individual cells. fridup2.jpgSimple job then to core-out the foam nose of the Herc' to secrete the said ballast. Just need to fill in the holes with blue foam and a little filler and no one will be any the wiser. fridup3.jpgOne balanced model!
Fingers crossed for Sunday!!!
Regards - Roy

Firstly as always, many thanks for the encouraging messages.
The Maiden
Not going to lie, was particularly nervous for this one for some strange reason. The usual suspects were present at the field, (you know who you are) and offering words of encouragement like

'it's lovely and calm now Roy', or

'will it be flying this afternoon?' .

Early on in the day, the winds had been quite troublesome in that they couldn't seem to make up their mind which way they were blowing. Critical at our field because we have a no-fly zone over a road that runs close to the field. It did however calm to such an extent where there was no discernible wind direction and so take-off could be in almost any direction. With cameras primed and the model aimed into whatever breeze there was, she rolled...............
Under half-throttle and she parted company with terra firma. It was immediately noticeable that the model requires quite a lot of rudder input in the turns to avoid the appearance of dragging her rear-end around the circuit. Also, it was obvious that on throttle, the nose had a tendency to pitch up. I decided to keep it short and attempt a slow approach and landing. - No real issues, she behaved perfectly and came in nicely for her first touch-down.
We discussed the merits of adding a little elevator to throttle in a mix to overcome the pitching tendency but I decided I should be able, now I knew how she flew, to be more gentle with the throttle and also to add, if necessary, a little down elevator and also, greater use of the rudder when turning on the aileron.
The second flight, albeit short was lovely. Take-off was more relaxed and drawn-out and landing, well, you'll have to wait until I upload the video hercmaiden0.jpg

hercaway.jpg
Away for the very first time

hercmaiden1.jpg
Low'ish level head-onhercmaiden2.jpg

Charles made good use of my camera - cheers Charles!
hercmaiden3.jpg
And flair for a trouble-free touch-down.
Hey, I LIKE THIS MODEL!!
From one very chuffed and relieved flier, thank you to Charles, Tim, Phil, Michael (and Mum) for the moral support on the day and well........ I'll post the video when I get it finished (sooner rather than later)
Regards

Roy

Edited By Electriflier on 24/08/2014 18:59:24