New Spektrum DX6 Owners' Thread

Paul Marsh

Can anyone help me I am trying to set up a new DX6 to have the ailerons raised as spoilers for landing. I have managed to get what I want but cannot change the throttle stick so the spoilers deploy when I pull the stick back. Please see my set up below

MODEL : FILLIP RUDD / ELEV / AILERON ELECTRIC GLIDER

RECEIVER : R610-X

MODEL TYPE: WING 2 -Aileron Tail – Normal Motor – Switch A

CHANNEL ASSIGN:

RECEIVER PORT ASSIGNMENTS

THRO –Gear / AIL – Right Aileron / ELEV – Elevator / RUDD – Rudder / GEAR – Gear AUX1 – Left Aileron

CHANNEL INPUT CONFIGURATION

THR –N/A : AIL – N/A : ELEV – N/A : RUDD –N/A : GEAR – A : AUX1 –N/A

FUNCTION LIST.

SERVO SET UP : Switches Reversed : MOT / RAL / GER / MOT / LAL

D/R & EXPO : Aileron & Elevator 100% & 50% DUAL RATE : 30% EXPO Switches C & F

DIFFERENTIAL : Ailerons 80% Switch ON

MIXING : Aileron – Rudder 20% Right & Left

P-MIX 1 SPL – LAL RATE 100% 0% Offset 0% Switch ON

P-MIX 2 SPL – ELE RATE 25% 0% Offset 0% Switch ON

FUNCTIONS : Elevator Ailerons & Rudder on sticks as normal (mode 2)

Motor on Switch A Spoilers on Throttle stick (FORWARD to deploy)

RECEIVER CONFIG : THRO – ESC - AILE – Stb. Aileron - ELEV – Elevator - RUD- Rudder - AUX 1 – Port Aileron

Any suggestions welcome,

Regards,

Norrie

To be honest, I find programming horrendously complicated and I still have to go to the reference works every time - I don't find ANY Tx programming particularly intuitive, apart from the simplest of functions. I'm sure I'm not the only one....smile

However, one option you may consider here is to use the Flight Mode setup. Consider each separate flight mode as programming a separate model and you switch from one to the other depending on the phase of flight.

For example, here you seem to have a simple on/off setting for the motor on Switch A. If you make that the flight mode switch, you could arrange for the throttle stick to be enabled only when the motor is in the off position. Once you switch off the motor after the initial climb, you'll have to fly with the spoiler stick fully back until you wish to deploy spoilerons, as they are in this instance.

Page 15 of the manual mentions, all too briefly, Flight Modes, which may be of some help.

Not having a DX6, I'm not sure of the switch allocation limitations compared to the DX9, so it may be that you'll need to set it up in a Sailplane menu to give you the switch option.

Am I thinking on the right lines?

Pete

Just got one of these for my first ever radio transmiter, I am thinking of going back to college after seeing the hand book frown is there any particular size of SD card required and do you have to leave it in during use ? I know it's required for registering. Sorry for the dumb question.

I have a 2GB card in it. As they're quite cheap and if using telemetry plenty of space. I also bought the Li-ion pack for it - essential as repeated plugging/unplugging batteries will damage the board/lead and compromise integrity of the unit.

Leave the card in, although it's not used in normal use, except the telemetry, or when saving/recalling models from it.

I'd have expected an SD card to be supplied but if it isn't, virtually any SD card will be fine. The one supplied with the DX9 is only 128Mb which is plenty big enough on capacity but you're more likely to find Gb cards these days. It's the standard SD card - not a mini or micro...

The Tx will work with or without the card in place, although if you use telemetry you'll need it to record flight data. It's not necessarily required for registering - it just makes it easier to get the serial number exactly right if you follow the export procedure to register the radio.

Once you've registered it, check for updates and install them. Make sure you follow the instructions religiously - many folk complain about it mall going wrong and it's almost invariably user error.

You'll enjoy the radio once you've got your head around it, I promise you....thumbs up

Pete

If you registered your details (Set up account), then register product, it will be there. If not, you've done something wrong, such as not entering the correct serial number correctly. (remember it's case sensitive, so if there's a "x", you have to use an "x", not an "X" (upper case to lower case).

Edited By Paul Marsh on 29/11/2014 08:59:43

You can also save your models to the SD card and keep a copy on the computer. I found on the DX18QQ, it usually wipes the onboard memory and luckily had a copy on SD card, which transfered back. Only problem is that you would have to re-bind the models reinstated on the tx.

The DX6 and 9 seem to have the updates done ok, and the latest update on my DX18 sorted out a massive switch-not-working problem (a thread on here a few months ago) and increased the meagre 50 model memories to 250,like the DX6 and 9.

No lights are showing whilst charging, unlike the DX 7,8,9 and 18. Bit confusing, really as you don't know if it's charging, unless you leave it for a few mins and check if the batt voltage has increased.

Also, don't forget to change the battery type in the tx's config, mainly the low battery warnings.

Posted by trebor on 02/12/2014 18:15:01:

Has anyone adjusted the gimbal springs under the rubber grips at the back of the case yet ? Just wondering how you get the rubbers to move, I don`t want to brake anything.

Had the rubbers off my DX9 - dont know if its the same, but it would seem probably, they are stuck on and have plugs that engage in holes, the sticky stuff stays sticky after you have peeled it off - certainly mine have stayed put and I didnt use any additional glues.... dont do it in a dusty environment though

Hi Trebor. THey are rubber plugs that cover holes located directly over the tension spring screws. They are only held in place by the friction and expansion of the rubber in the holes, I used a cocktail stick to start to ease them out and then you can probably pull them out the rest of the way with your fingers. Don't be too worried, there is nothing to break, unless you are really heavy handed.

I used the lid of the box, to hold the DX6 upside down, so that there is no pressure on the sticks.

Hope this helps

Anthony

DX6 newly question.

I have just bought a new DX6 and have just changed the mode from 2 to 1. No problem.

I have fitted, as instructed in the manual, the Throttle limiting Wedges to the throttle-side and find that, when checked on the monitor function the throttle fully down shows -90 and fully up it shows +84. All the other controls go from -100 to +100

Is this correct or have I done something wrong ?

Thanks.

Another question, I received two receivers with this model as part of a special offer. One is an AR610 and the other is an AR610C. Anyone know the difference please.

Edited By Bugbear on 03/12/2014 15:30:43

Edited By Bugbear on 03/12/2014 15:31:12

Google is your friend....wink 2 The only difference between the AR610 and AR610C seems to be that the C has a waterproofing coat - haven't a clue why they've bothered but it might help in a floatplane....smile

I've not done a mode change on a Spekky but in the setup menu there should be a 'Calibrate' option. That might do the trickthumbs up

Pete

Hi Mr Moderator. You just pipped me with the answer for BugBear. You are correct, they are waterproofing the sets with a C prefix. I used to do my own years ago with clear lacquer, when I had model boats.

As for your throttle wedges, did you notice that there was a chamfer on one side of the wedge. That chamfer has to face into the centre of the gimbals. You might just have ne of them around the wrong way. If that is not the case, then you may have missed the stick calibration screen. as Pete B suggested.

Let us know how you get on. Anthony

Thanks everyone. I fitted the bits the right way round (sloping edge toward the gimbal). I did a calibration but, interestingly I found that doing a softer movement when moving the throttle stick can increase the numbers.

The trim screen shows 100 / 100 across the whole range so I'll see how it goes tomorrow when I check it with an actual motor in a plane.

Gary

Glad it all worked out for you Gary. to be quite honest, I don't think you would have noticed the small discrepancy in open to closed on the throttle, even though as you say, one was +84 and the other was -90. But its nice to have it all correct.

I have had my DX6's quite some time now, well ever since they came out, and the "Wireless " Buddy box works a treat. Anthony.

• 2 weeks later...