New Spektrum DX6 Owners' Thread

Paul Marsh

Ah, I can understand your confusion, trebor....smile

I posted this on another thread the other day:

I can't answer for Spektrum's dumbness over naming the new DX6 - it was just asking for confusion....sad

The New DX6 is labelled DX6 G2 on the back of the radio and it is referred to as DX6G2 by Andy Kunz, the Spekky software developer over on RCG, as here. That's good enough for me - it's a pity Spektrum don't take the hint. I make a point of referring to it in the same way as, sooner or later, someone with an old DX6 parkflyer is bound to get confused...smile

The story is that many years ago, Spekky's first offering was the DX6, using the DSM protocol. They now refer to that Tx as the DX6 parkflyer - and that's what they're referring to in that link you've posted.

Your Tx will work with any DSMX or DSM2 Rx. The only Rx you may encounter from Spekky is the AR6000, which was on the old DSM protocol.

Buy the AR6115E or any other Spekky with confidence - or you can look at the compatibles from OrangeRx or LemonRC thumbs up

Pete

It's worth adding that the AR6115E is described as a 'park flyer' Rx as Spektrum will not guarantee normal full-range performance. It's intended for smaller models which will be flown a relatively short range, say up to 200m or so - although in practice it will probably be fine for some distance further out.

If you're intending to put it into a standard-size trainer or glider, then it's better to go for a 'full-range Rx', such as the AR610 - a more suitable Rx at an even better price here - and that's just the first place I've looked.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

No problem at all, Simon. Spektrum don't offer a viewer themselves but there are two available - one, ROBO Software, has a 30-day free trial and then costs $19.99 for a licence. The other, a freebie, is available as a zip download here.

I have both installed and they work fine - the second one is rather quicker to upload data, I've found.

There are threads about both programs over on RCG.

You'll find the vario a very useful devicethumbs up

Pete

Posted by Simon Hall 2 on 03/01/2015 20:11:30:

Thanks for the info Chris and Pete. I am really surprised that the manufacturers don't provide standard software to show the data that they are providing instead of relying on random third party people to do this.

Look at a Frsky Taranis; cheaper, more channels and cheaper telemetry and built in logging. Awesome TX

Rob

The only thing I find annoying is the li-po charging with no indication light or sign that the battery's charged full. There is not even a light on the charger and the only way to tell if it's charged is to switch it on. Does anyone know if it cuts down or will it charge all the time ?

When you say 'LiPo', do you mean the Li-Ion pack available as an extra? If so, the battery control circuitry is built in to that pack and it will cut out when fully charged. Pity there's no charge indication, I agree.

The 'charger' you mention isn't as such, it's just a power supply. Although he mentions 'LiPo' rather than Li-Ion, this post on RCG may help...

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

I have the new DX6 and am running out of charge on the supplied 1.5 v AAA batteries. I don`t want to use the Li- Ion battery. I am looking for different options.

Can I use a chargeable NIHM battery in the place of the supplied ones (6v battery for instance or even a 4.8v battery). Does anyone know which batteries I can use with the necessary transmitter plug.

Could I use four separate rechargeable ONeLoops and use a plug in wall charger for charging. If so what chargeable batteries are available to replace the four in the transmitter battery tray. I have seen 800 mah ones, but these seem small capacity.

The DX8 uses a 4.8 v Nimh, which I have. Is this usable on the DX6. If so could I splice a charging lead into the transmitter lead so that I do not have to remove the battery for charging, but leave the spliced charger lead accessible.

The DX8 Nimh is the same type used on the DX6. I originally bought a 4 cell 2500mah NImh pack for the 6, but got the Li-ion pack last year then converted the Nimh to futaba connector and used as a ignition pack. You will have to tell the tx which battery type you are using, but why not get a Li-ion pack, as you can use your DX8 charger to charge the 6 also,

Thank very much Pete.

I would like to splice a charger cable into the supply cable (two solder joints) to save me having to take out the transmitter plug every time I need to charge it. Is this an acceptable solution, I presume it would not affect the transmitter (switched off during charging). I would use my usual charger set for NIHMs with a charge rate no higher than 1/2amp. A 2000mah battery should be good for 10 hours flying I assume unless the 4.3 v cut off shortens this.

John