New Spektrum DX6 Owners' Thread

Paul Marsh

I've bought the New Spektrum DX6 today. Am starting a thread to what people think of it and others who are thinking of getting one.

I think it's a good value set, around £145 for a combo, with a rx, which is worth £40 alone. The Dx6 has voice and 2,4 linking to another DSM 2/X tx and massive 250 model memory! Really a 250 model memory on a "budget" set is quite some. Also had a SD memory card slot, so can backup/transfer files from the DX18,DX9 and the DX6.

Pity the DX7,8 files aren't compatable - so means having to manually move /delete from the DX8 to 6, if I want to.

Looking forward to yours and others views, Paul - it's a big advance on the Dx6i.

As far as converting files goes, a free-to-all converter is available is available here. This is endorsed by Spektrum, as discussed in the RCG thread. I have used this for a dozen or so DX8 model files and, apart from reversed rudder on a couple of models with CAR, it has worked perfectly.

However, it doesn't yet list the DX6 as a suitable destination Tx and I've put a question on the thread to see if it will become an option.

Pete

• 1 month later...

Hi Paul, I have a DX6i and was considering changing to the new DX6. I was impressed by the review of the DX9 in terms of voice alerts etc., and Pete's comments about a big advance. There several DX9s etc at my club, but haven't heard anybody using the voice alerts yet. How do you rate the DX6 now you have had it for a few weeks.

if its your first radio it is great but make sure you only use spektrum dsmx rxs i like the voice countdown on the timer you know how long you have left you dont have to remember how many beeps don't like the lack of sprung switches for trainer and throttle cut for a beginner set there is way too much on it if its your second computer set it should present no problems just take your time and play with it the manual is not that good it gives you a start

Gentlemen - I ordered a DX6, pre-release, on the strength of the first adverts in the "comics" without actually handling one. Does exactly what it says on the tin, an absolute doddle to set up a plane, but regrettably the case is just a bit to big for my (arthritic) old hands to manage in comfort. So sadly the DX6 needs to go to a new home.

I would like to offer my DX6 to a forum member for £100, collected, I am keeping the receiver. Carriage at cost. The Tx has only been used the once.

Have now acquired a DX6. For new buyers a couple of things to note, as Pete said in another thread, there is only one aerial, albeit the manual shows a diagram indicating an 2nd aerial in the handle. As part of the registration process the manual also advises to use the 'included' SD card. There isn't one in the box. It appears that a generic set of instructions have been used in compiling the DX6 version.

• 2 weeks later...

My neighbour who is new to modelling has just bought a DX6 along with the Spektrum Lipo, but no charger came with the Lipo or information on charging. Information on the net seems very sparse, as is the DX6 handbook that appears to only cover installing the Lipo. Has anyone come up with any answers to this. The new battery includes a charging jack but we do not know if it requires a Lipo Charger or an ordinary generic charger as per DX8 and 7s.

Posted by Alan Randall on 29/08/2014 17:26:17:

My neighbour who is new to modelling has just bought a DX6 along with the Spektrum Lipo, but no charger came with the Lipo or information on charging. Information on the net seems very sparse, as is the DX6 handbook that appears to only cover installing the Lipo. Has anyone come up with any answers to this. The new battery includes a charging jack but we do not know if it requires a Lipo Charger or an ordinary generic charger as per DX8 and 7s.

If the tranny has a charging jack use that with the lipo installed in the tranny, my DX8 is the same.

The battery for it includes the charge port. The DX6 as it is doesn't have a charge port, and the 4 cell Vapextech battery has to be taken out to be charged. A pain, but until the battery comes out will do. Also being 4000mah will last ages, as the DX8 has a 4000mah in it and I only charge it every few months.

spmb2000litxcs-250.jpg

The new DX6 does have a charge port once the Lipo is installed, but there is no indication as to which is the correct charger. Horizon appear to be issuing items in advance of information or listing on their web site.

Where did you get your photo from Paul, as the Horizon sites I have looked on say photograph to follow.

Edited By Alan Randall on 29/08/2014 21:40:35

I reckon the charger you get with the Dx8/9/18 are all the same and will work with the DX6. Have 3 chargers, so just get the battery and use that, The battery has an internal balance board, as in the other Lipo packs which tell the charger although charging through a 2 wire plug cuts the charger off when both cells are charged/balanced. Like the old Duralite batteries.

• 1 month later...

considering this set or the DX6 i but confused about wireless training feature.

Have just got my son a blade 200 ARTF helicopter with LP6DSM 6 channel transmitter . This has a buddy box socket (sorry old term but that's what we used to call it way back). Can I use DX6 or should I go with DX6 i with a physical lead to connect the two transmitters?

I can then use the "spare" transmitter for an electric glider perhaps.

Thanks Ian

Hi Ian,

Welcome to the forum! If budget isn't an issue, I'd not hesitate - go for the new DX6 rather than the DX6i. It's a generation ahead of the 6i and will stand you in good stead for the future.

You can use the wireless trainer facility on the DX6 with any DSMX or DSM2 transmitter, so you'll be fine with the LP6DSM Tx. The wireless facility does make life so much easier, too....thumbs up

Pete

Can you help me please I am trying to programme a Pelikan Fillip T – tail glider with rudder elevator aileron and motor control. I want to set both ailerons up to act as a landing brake along with elevator compensation, the motor is set on switch A and ailerons as up going flaps work off the throttle stick.

The receiver I am using is a Spektrum R610X and I have the right aileron in the Ail port – elevator is in Elev port – rudder is in Rudd port – motor is in Gear port and left aileron is in the Aux 1 port.

Servos reversed are left aileron – right aileron and gear.

Receiver port assignments are , Throttle – motor : Aile – right aileron : Elev – elevator : Rudd – rudder : Gear – gear : Aux 1 – left aileron

Premix Aileron –Rudder is set at +20% with switch on.

Mix 1 is set up as Gear – Right aileron set at 50%

Camber is set up as Left aileron + 50% Right aileron -50% Elevator +20%

I have not centred the servo (mechanical) neutrals yet but everything seems to be operating correctly apart from the up ailerons which do go up but there is a “kick” when I pull the throttle stick down, I have tried resetting the neutral masterpoint but no matter which way I go it still “kicks”

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Norker

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening all, Handyman here with a thumping great headache through trying to set up my two DX6 transmitters to operate in the buddy box mode. I have read the book over and over again, but I still cannot bind the two transmitters to each other. Can someone please give this 73 year old aero modeller some step by step instructions on how to complete this operation.

I need to get these two bound together before the weekend, I promised a good buddy some stick time, and I hate to only use one tranny and have to snatch it back at crucial moments.

I hope some whizz kid can put me right, but slowly. I don't think too fast these days.

Many thanks...Tony.

You only need to bind one tx to the other. The master tx is bound to the slave tx after enabling the wireless protocol on the master, and selecting "Bind". Then switch on the slave tx and press the bind button on that, then the master will go through it;s process and that's it.

You only need one wireless tx (DX6/DX9), but can use any DSM tx for the slave. Once the slave tx is bound to the master, you can't use that tx's model memory to fly a model on it's own, as the model is the master tx.

To summerize:

The Master TX is bound to the model normally;

The Slave TX is bound to the Master TX

Hardly a whizz kid, Tony, I'm not that far behind you but I'll try....teeth 2

First of all, have a look at this video which explains it reasonably well:

Now for some basic points.
Decide which is Tx is going to be the Master and bind that to the model, making sure it's set up correctly. On the Slave Tx, make sure you select a clean Acro memory.
When you get to the Trainer menu, as described in the video, you'll find you'll have the choice of 'Programmable Master' or 'Pilot Link Trainer'. The first will allow the Slave to control ALL functions when the pupil has control, the second allows the pupil to only control the 4 main channels, Thr, Ail, Ele and Rud.
If you've a fairly basic 4-function model, that will be fine. You can choose whichever switch you like to transfer control. If you make the Master Over-ride option Active, you will regain control when you move either of your sticks on the Master Tx, without having to move the trainer switch.
Now bind the two Tx's as per the video. Any problems, just ask.....thumbs up
Pete

Ahh!! you lovely people. After a very frustrating evening, I have finally got my two DX6's bound together and I have a dummy rig set out on my table and everything is working perfectly, including the Master override.

Very many thanks to Paul Marsh and to Pete B Moderator for a very enlightening video. The handbook instructions do not explain it very well, but now I know.

Thanks again lads. its nice that you look after us old "Fogies"