"NO ARTFS for me. I build real models" Sticker

Peter Miller

Advert

Maybe its just me, but I always feel that people who feel the need to put stickers up declaring their opinions are a bit insecure?

And why do some, who want to follow one particular route in the hobby, find it so essential to belittle or ridicule those who follow a different - and no less valid - route? Insecurity again maybe?

Live and let live I say. It's just my personal opinion, but our hobby is not so over populated that we can afford to start drawing lines in the sand and declaring who will be allowed to stand on the side labelled "proper modellers".

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 29/06/2014 22:31:10:

Maybe its just me, but I always feel that people who feel the need to put stickers up declaring their opinions are a bit insecure?

And why do some, who want to follow one particular route in the hobby, find it so essential to belittle or ridicule those who follow a different - and no less valid - route? Insecurity again maybe?

Now why is wanting that sticker belittling or ridiculing other people. IT isn't saying that ARTF enthusiast are wrong, it is merely stating what I like. Or perhaps That is not allowed either?

And then stating that people who like stickers (Me in this case) are insecure is actually trying to belittle ME

BEB Your apology for belittling me will be accepted gracefully.

I am with Peter on this one. I wear my 'Ben Buckle' sticker with pride. Amuses most of my club members who always see my models (even when new) as tatty compared with their sparkling RTF/ARTF's. They are not offended and TBH, it should be me who has the inferiority complex. I don't. I just fly models that are very different to theirs and I am proud of what I fly and occasionally crash..

Thinking about it, I could also argue that I don't build kits either so therefore the Ben Buckle sticker doesn't apply to me either. I am now feeling very offended that I am displaying a sticker that disrespects me as a scratch builder

Martyn

"Now come on, girls* - settle down, please!" (in my best Miss Jean Brodie accentteeth 2 )

I'm sure Peter had his tongue firmly in cheek when he posted this - it's in Chit-chat, for a start - and wasn't intended to start an ARTF v. Balsa-Bashers spat!

Now let's play nicely and there will be a beer for the first one to spot one of these stickers on an ARTF....wink 2

Pete

*It's a figure of speech - not an aspersion!smile

What about,

"No foam for me, I only use balsa"

"No electric for me, I like noise"

"No IC engines for me, I kept my flying site"

"No CNC cut kits for me, I prefer to cut myself"

The list could probably go on and on, with posters adding their own particular biased view.

Yes, I even have my biased views about tasteless stickers as well wink

I always feel slightly amused when I read "build blogs" or questions about "building" a particular model, when actually they are about putting four or five finished components together (eg"I then bolted the wings on with the supplied screws". I also find it strange that such builders are congratulated on a "fine model" when in actuality 99.99% oft the work was done by a factory worker in the Far East!