another shed story

Vecchio Austriaco

Finally, after month of searching an negotiations I moved house and left my lovely shed behind. After a period of 4 month struggling to get the house renovation project going (which was also the reason for missing this years Greenacres fly-in) it is time for a treatment. Time to think about the hobby, and where to do it. Actually this is a lie, as I looked from the beginning for a plot which is big enough to allow a good size shed and I did know where to put it before I bought the house. But now it is time for action.

shed 2.jpg

16.04.14. Day of exchange. This is the lovely site which I selected for the shed. Unfortunately there are massive overgrown shrubs, an apple and a pear-tree.

shed 3.jpg

17.04.14. This solves the tree problem.

shed 4.jpg

18.04.14 rubbish clearing. I ordered the shed -base from the same company which is looking after my driveway, as they are good their order book is quite full. So a little waiting time starts.

shedbase 060714.jpg

07.07.14 digging for the foundation

shedbase 080714.jpg

08.07.14 spreading out the gravel layer

shedbase 080714-2.jpg

08.07.14 Almost ready for the concrete.

VA

Edited By Vecchio Austriaco on 08/07/2014 16:19:51

It is looking good! I wish I had space to do that. I am a bit concerned that you have removed so much soil at the base of that wall and from the fence posts. A good winter storm could potentially push the whole thing over? Are you planning on putting a support wall of concrete blocks in place?

@ David - ahem - I do not plan to move anyway from there (purchased a bungalow - just in case - so my better half got a good size conservatory - and I will have a good size shed.

@ WF Even the fence looks new the posts are already a bit rotten. so they would rather break above the concrete they are in. Tomorrow the concrete for the shed base will come at 14:00 and will secure also the fence posts - so if we do not have any serious winter storms in between today and tomorrow I do not see a big problem.

@ Erfolg Thanks a lot - I had and have enough DIY at the moment. never buy a house which is the same age as you are

VA

@ Steve - all the Austrian can make is Most - no comparison to the British cider. So I prefer going to the pub if I feel I need one....

Actually I wanted to keep one tree - a cherry, not too old and in healthy condition, but my better half preferred to start from a blank canvas. All trees gone.

@ Jo - Thanks for your wishes - as usual you over estimate my talents.

and finally @ Colin, without building regulations I would build the Newport Pagnell Shard - but as this is a no go I stick to the maximum roof height. Don't want to start any arguments with the neighbours after 4 month - have already complaints that the reflected sunlight from our conservatory roof will damage their furniture.

VA

@ BEB - concrete arrived at 13:50. I like the English precision. Took them 2 hours to pour it in and to level it.

Roger, the webpage says delivery 22nd of July - exactly in a week I will spend in Turkey for a factory audit. so I didn't order the log cabin as I would like to be there when it will be delivered. Probably the date given by the website is a bit optimistic. I thought about bitumen felt shingles - probably from another company.

by the way - the 28 day were about the concrete - this is the time the concrete needs to have its optimum strength. (actually to build a shed on it it is good enough after 2 days...)

and here we are. situation 09.07.14

shedbase 090714-2.jpg

VA

Edited By Vecchio Austriaco on 09/07/2014 16:32:39

a friend had the shingles for his shed, so far they have been good for 4 years (in Corfu).

I had 2 layer torch on which so far has been good.

One aspect I didn't like is the shed relies on gravity to stay together I went round with a lot of 3 and 4 inch screws plus I bolted some 4 x 2 between the roof trusses to make an A frame feels more solid now.

Now, Gerhard thinks hard, Hmmm, should be OK in about 28 days, to take the full load. A pretty good and strong hard standing. So where did I park my Panzerkampfwagen?

Then the planning department will know who they are dealing with!

Seriously, it sounds that it is more Canadian luxury dwelling, than a shack from Devon.

My wife keeps trying to throw me out into a garden shed, I would probably vacate my building room (ex bedroom) if I could have something as substantial. I do worry I may just thrown outcrying 2

I do not consider it as been thrown out - I prefer to have a workshop where I can make noise, make a mess and close the door behind me. There is a garage, and my intention is to keep it as a garage (currently crammed full with stuff as usual). And luxury - well - my almost wife (44 days left being single) got this -

woman cave.jpg

and my man cave will be only 20% of the value

VA

good idea, probably I do the same. will get some final treatment of the base by the builder on Monday, after that I can fill the gap. by the way I will fit guttering to the shed as I want to collect the water for watering the flowers. so there will be only a small amount of rainwater between the fence and the shed which shouldn't be a big problem.

but at the moment I have to concentrate to the flooring in the house - so the shed has to wait

VA

I ignore the sunlight reflection moaning - I am happy when the sun shines. and as it looks this a good summer.

Have only one 2-stroke, well there is also one petrol 2-stroke, rest electric or 4-stroke - so the noise production will be limited. I am quite happy with her conservatory - like it as well of course - and she already asked for a comfortable chair in my shed - so she can knit and chat with me while I am building. We will see how this influences the build quality

VA

women can knit and chat its in their DNA, men can`t multi-task, I had the same when I claimed a bedroom when my youngest finally moved out, " can I have a chair in there so I can come in and chat" says she , 6 months later I`m evicted to the garage and she has nicked my room for sewing machines, tapestry stands and a hole load of other "crafting" paraphernalia!!!! be warned!!