commonwealth games

Advert

I have to admit to having just about zero interest, so I find the BBC's extensive coverage an abuse of my license fee.  It seems that for the last couple of months the Beeb has been concentrating on sports coverage to the exclusion of just about everything else except Eastenders!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 29/07/2014 10:48:39

At the risk of offending, I would have to say that the majority of aeromodelers could do with a bit of sport in their lives. Participation, not viewing. Overweight and out of condition doesn't even come close.

I, for one, am really enjoying the Games. Went to the rugby 7's at the weekend and it was sensational. Going to the boxing this weekend. Can't wait!

Posted by Prop Nut on 29/07/2014 12:00:25:

Overweight and out of condition may apply to those whose favourite food is deep-fried Mars Bar and who consume the eighth highest level of alcohol in the world, but we're not all so afflicted.

No need to get shirty about it. I didn't mention anything about national stereotypes. My comment was slightly tongue in cheek. Even RCM&E made a joke about 'sucking in stomachs' in this months issue. Lighten up.

Michael,

I have nothing against Scotland or it people. What I have enormous problems with is the constant discussion of purely Scottish affairs on my English television.

I'm given to understand that some sort of devolution has occured.

I now understand that some people are agitating for a form of "independence"!!

I was, and am not, considered important enough to be addressed, or considered, duri through all this and I am currently fed up with it all.

Mind you Michael - I already know, without you telling me - that you are a really nice guy!! laugh

Rant over!! I feel better know.

Not remotely interested. The biggest effect for me is that our club field is at Barry Buddon and has been closed for ten days while the shooting events are held there. Dreadful imposition! I've had to give up listening to Radio Scotland because the Games are all they talk about now. And when they're finished it will be back to wall to wall independence debate coverage. And I'm not interested in that either even though I'm proud to be Scottish. And I'm overweight, completely without the aid of deep fried mars bars or excessive amounts of booze! Sheesh, now I'm depressed. wink

John.

P.S. I didn't know anybody in England knew about the independence thing. Thought it was our secret.

Posted by Andrew Price 2 on 29/07/2014 14:21:38:

Michael,

I have nothing against Scotland or it people. What I have enormous problems with is the constant discussion of purely Scottish affairs on my English television.

Strangely, I feel it's the other way round. We get an over abundance of English related content, particularly if it's weather related. I suppose, however, the same could be said of any part of the UK. Too much emphasis on Scotland or too much on London and the South East, it's bound to get someones back up.

Yes Michael, I agree. On a more regional scale I always fume a little to have to sit through much Norfolk and Norwich news whilst hoping that something interesting re Northampton, also within the Norwich headquartered, Anglian region, may be broadcast!

Even the "local" news which is meant to give us more coverage for for the Eastern areas, including Northants, is packed with Cambridge items. Guess where that is broadcast from?

I do however enjoy a chuckle each time I hear Sally Traffic on Radio 2. Due to past comments and requests, no doubt from the north, she always starts in Scotland and works South.

I've been enjoying the BBC's coverage of the games, but I've just one small criticism. I watched the late night BBC roundup programme last night, and they had some very interesting interviews with the boxers, however when interviewing some of the Scottish and Irish boxers I wish they could have put up some subtitles. I assume they were speaking English, which is my native language, but I honestly couldn't understand a word .

Well done Glasgow, an excellent Games.

Posted by Essjay on 03/08/2014 12:03:21:

I've been enjoying the BBC's coverage of the games, but I've just one small criticism. I watched the late night BBC roundup programme last night, and they had some very interesting interviews with the boxers, however when interviewing some of the Scottish and Irish boxers I wish they could have put up some subtitles. I assume they were speaking English, which is my native language, but I honestly couldn't understand a word .

Well done Glasgow, an excellent Games.

Bit like Geodies and Scousers, then?

Although approaching World Champion levels of sloth, I have spent the last few days and nights in Edinburgh to attend events at the Commonwealth games.

We stayed in Edinburgh suburbs, commuting to Glasgow and Edinburgh centre by train and tram respectively.

The games themselves are excellent, as is Edinburgh.

What will shock many English Northerners, is the visualisation of the vast differences in Government spend per head of the Scottish population, that is visible in the infrastructure compared to us English Northerners. Perhaps with independence we could get our fair share?

Also noticeable there, is pride in being Scottish, evident in the Saltire which is flown normally from many Scottish institutions and businesses etc. In contrast to the view taken with the flag of St George and accusations of Little Englanders in those who hold England in the same esteem.