The Atom Special

Richard Harris

HI Richard.... Have you managed to make a rotor head yet? The way things are going at the moment, it looks as though I am going to make one, as the C30 is all sold out with a long waiting list.

I am building the ATOM SPECIAL but will not put everything together Intel all the parts are there.

regards .... Edmond.

Advert

Ok i have done a little more .

Some of you may of noticed that the bottom of my Atom was flat and this is why.

atombee.jpg

So that i could fit a training wing that can bee removed after i have learned how to fly it .

Thank`s to Tom Wrights cleaver inventionthumbs up.

atombee1.jpg

The wings are held in place by a rubber band. As you can see i have positioned the servos at the back with the head servos Angled in order to operate the head as normal.

atombee3.jpg

atombee2.jpg

Sorry my camera work is not too Good .

And i hope that Richard is not to disappointed and think`s that i have turned his design into another one off my Novelty models .

Steve,

Steve,

Interesting alteration, let us know how it flies?The wing will help with orientation and as a rule creates about 30% of the lift.

This same type of model was being developed when I first started playing with autogyros and nearly built the 'Whistlers Cousin' for my dad in the early days.

Here is a video I uploaded pulled off a CD I was sent from Joel Waldo the designer of the Cousin, taken at the 2008 Gyronuts fly-in, Morris /Illinois.

I am full of useless information smiley

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 03/11/2014 20:50:26

Hi Richard ,

Thanks for sharing the Video with us .

It Just shows it`s not a new idea and after watching the Video i can clearly see how much it helps with the orientation.

I have the landing gear legs to make up yet and i am going to make a jig to help sand the blades to shape , as i guess i will probably need to make several of them during the learning process.

Cheers Steve,

Wing assisted RC auto gyros are certainly not a new idea M Nowell fitted small wings to his G3PO IN 1994.The lift contribution of course depends on the section and area, the dihedral provides a degree of stability and damping in roll , but even a very small wing goes a long way to help avoid the dreaded disorientation.

If the rotors are not up to speed during ROG or launch the wing may not prevent the classic roll over, and it can make the rudder more sensitive.

Just a bit more useless information, but it can work well.wink 2.

Tom.

Managed to shoot some footage today (with an oldish mobile from a friend, quality not too good):

I am really enjoying this thing, control is getting better all the time. I made a couple of flights last weekend before a sizeable gathering of clubmates. Lots of interest for it.

Max.

(Original footage was better than this. This is my first ever Youtube upload, so I am struggling a bit. Sorry)

Edited By Max Z on 04/11/2014 19:48:59

Edited By Max Z on 04/11/2014 19:49:48

Edited By Max Z on 04/11/2014 20:07:30

Edited By Max Z on 04/11/2014 20:08:57

Edited By Max Z on 04/11/2014 20:12:01

Edited By Max Z on 04/11/2014 20:19:35

Posted by Stephen Jones on 04/11/2014 20:34:18:

You seem to have got the hang of it , where those larger rudder a big help ?

I'm inclined to say yes, but then again when you are learning you are getting more confident in controlling anyway, so it may all be in the mind.......

Max.

Hi,

very nice Idea using the little wing undersidethumbs up

I for myself also had problems considering disorientation by making my first flights with a Fire Fly.

Keep the gyro near and don´t let it get too far away!

So here a few pics of my "Smurf Mobile"!

Couldn´t resist to paint the Cowl in white and add some Decals which I used by my Panther.

p1030476.jpg

p1030477.jpg

Rich,

this little Pilot isn´t Easy to findsmiley , but I think I try to make one by myself out of foam and paint, in order to get a fitting scale for the atom!

Further I build a little steerable Tail wheel out of thin piano wire and a half of a hinge, normally used for the Rudders on a fixed Wing Airplane! Think this will work fine especially using a hard underground to take off from.

p1030478.jpg

p1030479.jpg

Greetings from Germany

Markus

Hi, I'm not sure if it's ok to post this here or not, please tell me if it's the latter. I have been having a rationalisation of my modelling and have 2 new in packets C130 heads. I had intendened to use these on two models, however I don't think that I will ever get round to doing so. Therefore if anyone is interested I will post them in the UK by my MyHermes signed for at a cost of £13.50 each, this will cover my original cost and postage. If you are Interested  please pm me. Regards adrian

Edited By adrian lawrence 1 on 05/11/2014 20:21:59

Posted by adrian lawrence 1 on 05/11/2014 19:57:08:

Hi, I'm not sure if it's ok to post this here or not, please tell me if it's the latter. I have been having a rationalisation of my modelling and have 2 new in packets C130 heads. I had intendened to use these on two models, however I don't think that I will ever get round to doing so. Therefore if anyone is interested I will post them in the UK by my MyHermes signed for at a cost of £13.50 each, this will cover my original cost and postage. If you are Interested please pm me. Regards

Hi Adrian, we cant PM you as your profile is not public, I am interested if you would pm me and we can hopefully do the deal

Phil

Posted by Markus Drillkens on 05/11/2014 19:41:49:

Hi,

very nice Idea using the little wing undersidethumbs up

I for myself also had problems considering disorientation by making my first flights with a Fire Fly.

Keep the gyro near and don´t let it get too far away!

So here a few pics of my "Smurf Mobile"!

Couldn´t resist to paint the Cowl in white and add some Decals which I used by my Panther.

p1030476.jpg

p1030477.jpg

Rich,

this little Pilot isn´t Easy to findsmiley , but I think I try to make one by myself out of foam and paint, in order to get a fitting scale for the atom!

Further I build a little steerable Tail wheel out of thin piano wire and a half of a hinge, normally used for the Rudders on a fixed Wing Airplane! Think this will work fine especially using a hard underground to take off from.

p1030478.jpg

p1030479.jpg

Greetings from Germany

Markus

Markus

Love your tail wheel which I think I will copy as it fits in so well with the existing rudder set up. Love the colour scheme too.

How have most people finished their models with film or sprayed. Must admit that compared to a Wot4 or similar I found this really difficult to cover neatly or maybe old age is creeping in. I think if/when I need to build another I will opt for painting next time.

Mike

Edited By Mike Stevens on 06/11/2014 07:12:30

Markus,

Nice job thumbs up I do like the steerable tail wheel that have been added to a couple of Atom's, I may just borrow the idea for my No2 model!

Mike,

I used worldmodels Litex to cover mine, you can apply it with a lower heat than normal, boom and mast are spray painted.

Steve,

You have got decorate those wings to look like bees wings smile p

Rich

Hi Steve,

A good bit of lateral thinking on your part. Did you make it from Depron?

There have been one or two posts about the lack of rudder control. When making my Atom I was thinking what Rich said about trying a central rudder aiding the others. I was toying with the idea of increasing the rudder area but not the rudder and fins overall size. My Idea is as this sketch000_0108.jpg By trimming the tail plane thus enabling to move the rudder hinge line 25mm forward.

Terry

Edited By Terry Whiting 1 on 06/11/2014 20:28:17

Mike,

The Atom Mast (including the servo mounts for the Head and ail Tail) and the cowl are sprayed, blue Tail, Fins and the fuselage are covered with Oracover and the white and black decals are Orastick.

the Panther is all oracover film including the white and black stripes! Only the Canopy white area is sprayed!

Rich,

Thanks a lot! We´ll see if this little Tail wheel works properly.

Terry,

Great idea!thumbs up Think the only way to get to know if this works better is to build and test it.

Cheers

Markus

Edited By Markus Drillkens on 06/11/2014 20:51:46

Edited By Markus Drillkens on 06/11/2014 20:52:50

Edited By Markus Drillkens on 06/11/2014 20:53:15