Northern Lights

john stones 1 - Moderator

Advert

I've seen photos and videos of the Northern Lights on many occasions, but I still can't quite picture what they look like in real life. I imagine that most photos will be long time exposure and video will be time lapse, so I can't quite imagine the speed, brightness or colour of them. I think it's one of those things that you need to see in the flesh to really appreciate.

It's on my bucket list, along with the Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls and the Great Barrier Reef. I've already ticked off Whale Watching off the Canary islands. I'm really glad I did because the emotion I felt was unexpected and unforgettable. It makes you appreciate the wonder of nature and the insignificance of man. This is something that photographs or TV images cannot capture .

They are occasionally seen from the UK, more so the further north you go. There was a photo in the Metro a year or so ago showing the Northern lights visible from my old home town in the north-east of England. I don't think anyone has (recently at least) claimed to have seen them from as far south as I am now (N. Surrey)

I did glimpse them once out of an aircraft window shortly after departing from Kitilla, north of the Arctic Circle in Finland. From the view I got it was difficult to tell how quickly, or slowly, they were changing, but they were certainly green as in most pictures you see.

Hi John (et all).

The chances to see them depends on what is called "KP index". This index refers to the impact of the sun activity in the high layers of the atmosphere, where the auroras are created. The index goes from 0 to 10. With a KP 5 they can be seen at around 60-55 north latitude, and a KP 10 is visible in France or even the north of Spain.

I live not too far away from Kielder forest which 55 degrees north, and also is one of the biggest "light-free" areas in Europe. I know that auroras are sometimes clearly visible here, and in fact Kielder observatory organizes events to "look at the sky", so long the weather allows it (not too often unfortunatelycrying 2).

You can check the KP index, and other interesting bits, in this link.

I hope this helpswink

Alejandro