bending wood

John Miller 4

Advert

Seems OK now.

The answer to your question John is,...generally yes it will help. But obviously hardwood will be somewhat harder to bend. I think it will also depend on the exact nature of the hardwood. Some have quite a lot of natural oil in them which renders them semi-water resistant. I have not worked with walnut so I can't comment.

Have you searched say Practical Woodworking - do they have a forum? You might get better advice on this particular issue there.

BEB

LoL me either.....devil there's gremlins on here I offfff!!!!!!

On the subject of bending wood I seen a program on bending wood and the guy used a 2 inch peace of tube just like a down pipe of the wall on your house that connects to your guttering. He put a kettle at the bottom and sat the plastic tube over the spout. He then tilted it to a 45 deg angle and leant it against the wall. He then plugged the bottom with a rag, dropped his wood into the tube....plugged the top with a rag and saturated the tube with steam. He said it was trial and error and you had to keep checking the wood for flex every couple of minutes...

The video was about making Canadian canoes using cedar

Jamie

OK thanks for letting me know - a switch was accidentally set that meant that only Mods could see JM4's posts. So the thread looked fine to Chris and I! Silly switch and far too easy to accidentally nudged without meaning to! And the first thing we know is when this happens. Fortunately its quite rare.

Anyway - normal service is resumed!

BEB

Ah now it all makes sense. Could not understand why Peter would need to ask. I am a plumber so have an advantage and made a tube from an off cut of copper tube. You need a spacer to keep your plank from the water and a pressure relief hole otherwise its potentially a disaster waiting to happen. boil the water and steam your plank. As for walnut I think it might be too brittle. Another way is to ease it around a preheated bar but best effect may be a mix of the two. Alternatively bend several veneers and glue together around a former as you make wing tips etc. Hope this helps

Stevo's advice seems good - perhaps you could explain further Stevo? Do you bend it further than required so it can spring back a little? Do you use a much longer length than needed to obtain leverage? Do you clamp until cold? Multiple heatings and bending or just once? etc, etc ---this might be useful for aeromodellers too.

However if you want to laminate then SLEC sell thin Walnut sheet which might be useful.

John,

I used to make Shaker Style Furniture particularly Slat Back chairs and Rocking Chairs to earn a crust. I used mainly Hard Maple which is particularly difficult to bend without steam,

I put together a steamer to bend the slats which consisted of an insulated metal tube ( a plastic drain pipe is not good because the heat will distort it totally ) connected to a wallpaper steamer. The tube was mounted horizontally with a wooden bung at each end, one drilled to take the pipe from the steamer, the other with a drain hole to take the condensate away and to act as a vent. This worked very well indeed despite it's Heath Robinson appearance.

The slats, which were 6mm thick, were placed four at a time in the tube with spacers in between, and steamed for 2 to 3 hours after which they were removed very quickly - not giving them a chance to cool down, and clamped in a former overnight Once removed from the former, there would be some spring back, but it would still leave me with a nicely curved set of slats for the back of my chairs.

maple rocking chair.jpg

Edited By Colin Ashman on 19/09/2014 11:38:21

OK Keith here goes

I take it we are not bending 2" Oak so it is a little simpler! When I did my Be2c wing and and tail, I did laminate, but all strips were steam bent. I bent 6mm x 1.5mm Cyparis. I soaked them overnight, and made up a steam chamber. Jigs were made first, exactly to size.

be2c 6.jpg

the chamber was a length of plastic drain pipe fed from a Wickes wallpaper stripper. Steamed them for 20 mins, and QUICKLY got them out of the chamber, and wrapped them around the template. They were oversize by around 8", but the way to do this is to hold it against the template - you WONT have time to clamp it-and force it around inch by inch. If you have steamed it correctly it will go round and not crack - trust me.

Then, clamp it in place and leave overnight. When I removed them from the clamp, yes they did spring out, but I held them with a little masking tape so they wouldn't. After 3 months I removed the tape and inspected them for just that - that had not moved.

For smaller strips, like our 2mm x2mm, I would soak and use a kettle and bend around a former. I have done this with Walnut, spruce and Mahogany for guitar work. Again, the trick is not to grab each end for leverage (you won't need leverage!) but to hold one end on the former and gently but FIRMLY and QUICKLY tease it round - and clamp in place.

Also the more even and straight the grain is, the better and less likely to crack.

I've not used Ammonia, but many have. It will have two effects 1) it will bleach the wood and may upset the bonding between layers, and 2) it will clear your sinuses better than an airline. But, for our uses as small scale/balsa/mahogany/walnut I would steam every time.

If our original poster is in any doubt please let me know and I'll do it for you .

Steve J