Fuelproofing

David Ovenden

Advert

I have made up a test piece of oracover painted with Hobby Flight enamel. I left it for a few days then gave it a coat of Aerokote matt wiped on with a bit of sponge (saves cleaning a brush!)
It has gone on fine with no reaction, it seems to flex ok as its got to go over parts of an unsheeted wing. Hopefully when I put a drop of Contest 10 on it nothing will happen!

I have recently discovered a single pack polyurethane in a rattle can. So far I have only tried it over cellulose and acrylic but so far so good. It is definitely proof against diesel fuel and I have no reason to think it would not be proof against glo fuel. As it is in a spray can it is obviously very easy to apply though it is a bit prone to runs so two thin coats are better than trying to do it in one go..... but it does give a very good finish.

Made by Rust-Oleum, it is sold as a protective finish for furniture and it says "Polyurethane Finish" on the can. I got it in B&Q, I can't remember the exact price but it was somewhere around £7 - £8.

Edited By Paul Jefferies on 14/10/2014 08:28:24

I use mr epoxy clear from mick reeves thinned with cellulose....now that should make it do all sorts of awful things for for reasons I do not understand it just works. the only think I can think is that the celly thinners evaporates before it can do any damage

the stuff is a right pain to mix up and use but works really well. but for the love of all that's good and holy make sure you have a decent spray mask or you will have epoxy coated lungs in no time