Rutlands Airbrush deal

Advert

Wow, that does look good and as far as I can tell Rutlands are okay. If I hadn't already got mine I think I'd be very, very tempted to use credit card for the the one you have linked to Jon or maybe just a single gun setup for £70, looks quite reasonable too.

I'm not an airbrush expert though.

Ian

Edited By Ian Jones on 13/10/2014 18:20:17

I think I would be inclined to go for the set up Monz posted mainly because it has a tank on the compressor, this does smooth out the pulses from the pump, but so does a good regulator.

The main thing I would advise is check the spares availability for both brushes and compressor because you will need them eventually.

I used airbrushes a lot in my ceramic restoration business so have a little experience in what can go wrong and spares are a very real problem sometimes, I have an Iwata Studio compressor which I run 4 brushes from or can and do, I have a mixture of Iwata and Bell Artco (Aerograph / devilbiss Super 63 / 93) brushes 10 in total, I can still get spares for all of them, my oldest is 47 years old and has a leather air valve and I have this serviced every 5 years or so to have the valve replaced, has to be done by an engineer.

I obviously don't use all the brushes at the same time but they are all set up slightly differently, my favourite is the 47 year old Aerograph Super 63 my Dad gave me, it is beautifully run in with a smooth light action that the leather air valve gives, so good for fine work down to a dogs hair!

This set up if I were to put it together now would come to far too much!! blush if I were to start again I would go for the ebay one as long I as I could get the spares.

Hope that helps a little.

Nige.

Edited By Nigel Dell on 14/10/2014 11:06:01

Scott, I have a screwfix compressor with normal spray gun for spraying complete airframes and then use airbrushes for the smaller areas (I would say detail but that glosses my abilities too much sad). You wouldn't want to use an airbrush for painting the whole airframe, unless it is small scale.

Downside with the screwfix compressor is it's noisy, but when airbrushing the compressor hardly ever kicks in.

Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 13/10/2014 17:13:22:

It looks good value but I do wish that retailers would stop saying 'UK Mainland' when they really mean 'GB Mainland' (it's not the same thing)

Living on the Isle of Wight I too really hate retailers that state ''Mainland Only''. We have a PO (Portsmouth) postcodehere and we are only 5 miles off the mainland. I recently took issue wit a seller who was based in Portsmouth and wouldn't post a small item to me! With around 125,000 residents on the island I often wonder how much business these people potentially lose? Sorry to hijack the thread but it is subject that us "CAULKHEADS" feel very strongly about..

Thanks! laugh

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 20/10/2014 08:16:58:

Scott, I have a screwfix compressor with normal spray gun for spraying complete airframes and then use airbrushes for the smaller areas (I would say detail but that glosses my abilities too much sad). You wouldn't want to use an airbrush for painting the whole airframe, unless it is small scale.

Downside with the screwfix compressor is it's noisy, but when airbrushing the compressor hardly ever kicks in.

• 2 weeks later...

After some careful consideration and a few e-mails I went with one of these..

**LINK**

It arrived this afternoon ( an early xmas present from my wife )... she doesn't know about the impending JL/BVM F16 smile p (AND DOESN'T NEED TO KNOW YET!!)

I was allowed a quick look as I know more about them than she admits to and it looks to be excellent quality.

Now I need a course (youtube or otherwise) on how to maximise what I can do with it!! The thought of screwing up £5K's worth of jet isn't appealing!!. I have an old BVM D/F F16 that needs a respray that I intend to practice on..any hints/tips/links gratefully appreciated!

Posted by David P Williams on 31/10/2014 17:08:46:

Hi Scott - I'm looking for an airbrush compressor myself as the Machine Mart large compressor I have makes a fearsome racket. I would be very interested in how noisy you find this one.

It's a pretty quiet little thing. I'll find a vid I posted somewhere of it's noise. Back in a mo!