Arising Star - first build

Nelmo

As I seem to be hogging this sub-forum, I've decided to maintain this one thread for my inane questions/problems thread, rather than creating a new one every 5 minutes. I don't think I've done anything right first time yet cheeky

My latest issue is servos - in my defense, i'll point out that my kit was a present and someone put the servos in a separate box, so i never realised that they were actually part of the transmitter and thus build instructions were in the transmitter manual.

So, i hope this is nothing serious but when i installed the aileron servo on the wing, i didnt use the rubber grommets and little brass wotsits - is that very bad?

I could take it out and fit them but i am not sure that i should be unscrewing things out of balsa wood as they wont screw back in again as well, or is that not the case?

Hi Nelmo,

Not sure how long you've been on the forum but welcome,

You've set alarm bells ring here already lol. Scewing servos's directly into balsa without grommets and brass inserts ? My suggestion is that you stop your build and have a thorough read of the kit build instructions/manual.

What kit is it ? Servo's should be mounted onto their own mounting rails or bearers either made of ply of some other such denser material set into the balsa substructure with suitable adheseive. There are many excellent build blogs here with photo's that are worthy or a peruse before you commense any further as this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Regards

Alan

Edited By FastFlyer Smyth on 21/10/2014 14:07:36

No problem - it takes a while to find your way around a forumsmile

Having said that, 7 separate threads about the same build is a bit extreme, so I'll give this one a clearer title and re-direct everyone to this thread. If you put all further questions on this thread, it will keep everything in the same place and give a much better picture of where you're at, as it were....teeth 2

As you are using an IC engine in the model, I would strongly advise using the grommets, which reduce the transmitted vibrations to the servos - not good news for electronics.....smile o

They shouldn't be screwed into balsa in such an installation but into a hardwood block, or ply mount. If a balsa mount is specified, you can harden up the wood around the screw hole with a drop of CA adhesive after you've made the initial thread cut.

Pete

Hi

Looking at the arising star manual, the aileron servos are wing mounted into a ply servo plate that need to be mounted onto the wing before the servos are fitted see page 5 of the manual **LINK**

Basically its asking you to mark round the servo plates and gently and carefully remove the factory covering inside the template left by marking round the plate. Then you epoxy the plate onto the wing where you removed the covering then you screw the servos into the ply plate

But BEFORE you epoxy the plate down you should offer up the servos you have to the mounting plate and check the hole is big enough for them - if not you may have to open the hole a little, they should be a snug fit but not so snug that force has to be used - be aware however that there are many different sizes of servos and this plane is designed for wing servos of a certain size so IF the ones you have would require the removal of a great deal of the ply plate, then you may have the wrong size servos, in that case STOP and get the correct servos!

The key to any build or assembly is to sit with the parts and dry fit them together several times to make sure you fully understand the assembly - IF there are parts in the kit you are not using, find out why!

Resist all temptation to cut, drill or glue anything until you are sure....

and don't ask me how I know!

As per the old carpenters saying "Measure twice cut once"

I guess I didn't make myself clear - I did follow all the instructions, dry fitted everything (had to slightly enlarge the servo mount) before screwing the servo in. Sadly, the kit instructions do not explain how the rubber grommets and brass inserts go on the servo - it was only when I started reading the separate TX manual that it showed a diagram explaining how its done. You'd think the instructions on a starter kit would do that... frown

My question is; now that I have put the servo in without the grommets, is it better to leave it as it is or is better to unscrew the servo, risking stripping the thread and not getting a good fit after I put the grommets on?

Better to put the grommets in, remembering that the brass bush is inserted from below the grommet, with the flange against the wooden support. Tip - fit the rubber grommet to the servo housing first, slide the bush over a thin screwdriver, piece of piano wire or similar (I use a fine pointed circular file), then insert the guide from below and push the bush through the grommet - saves a lot of fiddly pushing to fit, especially if you have big mittsteeth 2

As I suggested earlier, a drop of thin CA around the screw hole will harden it up. If you want to be certain of the grip, glue a bit of, say 3/16", square balsa under the screw holes. This will extend the threaded depth of the mount. Pre-drill the balsa with a 1.5mm bit - most servo screws are 2mm. Put a drop of CA in the hole and let it go off. Fit the servo screw, tightening it down to just barely tighten on the bush - no tighter.

The servo won't go anywhere under normal conditions...thumbs up

Pete

Good luck with the build.

A few trips to your local club with the plane to show them progress might be useful. They might see things you haven't picked up that can be rectified before the maiden flight. And of course there is the matter of fitting the engine.

Don't worry nelmo, the learning curve levels off once the first build is out of the way. Just remember though that even after 25 years in this hobby it is not uncommon for me (and I am sure the rest of the long standing flyers here) to learn something new each time we build a new model or go flying. There is no substitute for experience in this hobby, but that is part of its attraction. there is always something new to do, to try and to learn.

While you have made a few mistakes you clearly have an instinctive idea of what is right and what is wrong as you are asking questions about things you are not happy about, so keep it up and all will be well

Thanks Jon thumbs up

And today i took one for the team, so to speak...caught a drill bit in my hand trying to sort out my engine mount. Just a nick but first blood shed in the name of my new hobby crying

My engine mount, by the way, is toast (see my other thread for the sordid tale). I took the engine out and filed a bit off each arm to get the engine to slot in, rather than be forced in and distort the arms. Unfortunately, after i'd done that, the holes didnt match up with the engine. As i had already drilled a previous set of holes (dont ask), i've run out of space to drill more holes, so i will order a new mount, file it to get the engine in and then drill the holes.

I tried to go buy a bigger mount but the holes are in different places and i did not want to struggle drilling more holes in the firewall and trying to get to the back for the nuts.

So going well then....wink

Edited By Nelmo on 22/10/2014 19:35:10

Posted by Nelmo on 22/10/2014 19:13:20:

Thanks Jon thumbs up

And today i took one for the team, so to speak...caught a drill bit in my hand. Just a nick but first blood shed in the name of my new hobby crying

Next step casualty crook ?  No, seriously, be careful...especially around the prop while it's spinning. This is akin a sharp food processor blade.

Edited By cymaz on 22/10/2014 19:30:43

Posted by cymaz on 22/10/2014 19:29:35:
Posted by Nelmo on 22/10/2014 19:13:20:

Thanks Jon thumbs up

And today i took one for the team, so to speak...caught a drill bit in my hand. Just a nick but first blood shed in the name of my new hobby crying

Next step casualty crook ? No, seriously, be careful...especially around the prop while it's spinning. This is akin a sharp food processor blade.

Edited By cymaz on 22/10/2014 19:30:43

Nelmo

I cant emphasise the point about the prop enough, a brushless motor will not stop if you get in the way of it, it will simply draw more power from the battery in an attempt to maintain its RPM.....Prop blades are sharp and will slice flesh without thinking about it - Golden rule - remove the prop while you are working on the plane

Posted by Nelmo on 23/10/2014 10:19:39:

engine mount out of stock at Perkins (the wholesaler EVERYONE seems to use) until mid-November...sad

Give some of the bigger model shops a call, Steve Webb, Leed Model Shop, Slough Model shop, Kings Lynn Model Shop - someone will have one in stock next to a copy of J R Hartleys "Fly Fishing" probably

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 23/10/2014 10:54:21

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 23/10/2014 10:55:18:

Keep it clean, folks, please - and don't quote posts that fall foul of the forum rules!

Pete

Wow, that b-word breaks the rules?! Strict! My apologies...I have school age kids and they're obviously a bad influence wink

I phoned round every shop in SE england and they all said the same thing - except one which suggested a different brand which was exactly the same as the official Seagull one. Just been round and got it, so I'm back on track...smiley

Edited By Nelmo on 23/10/2014 11:44:19

good to hear you found something, as for the 'b word' I don't even know which one you mean as its been deleted!

As a side note, where are the much discussed forum rules? I see people called up on them all the time but have never actually seen them and cant seem to find any link to them :\