Preferred hinging types

Advert

I used to think the furry Mylar hinges were a little 'iffy' and cutting slots a pain, but experience has shown them to be very reliable so I use them in most builds now. Like Cymaz I also use flat, pinned hinges and also Robart barbed hinges, where you just need to drill a hole.

Although I've used Robart barbed type, flat pinned ones, and Solartex for top-hinging, my favoured method is simple mylar strip or, more lately, the furry ones cyanoed in. The only hinges I've had fail on me are where they don't use any hinge in foamy models, and when things like ailerons and elevator have eventually fallen off my Multiplex Twinstar I've repaired them with furry mylar hinges.

Furry Mylar are great for most purposes but I also use Robart Hinge points or Great Planes Pivot point hinges, Basically the same thing.

One thing about the Robart ones. You can buy sockets that are sunk into the fixed surface and the hinge point goes into these and is held with a grub screw. Great if you want to be able to remove the control surfaces for any reason.

Pinned leaf hinges every time for me now - epoxied in place and then cleaned up with meths.Robarts are pretty good as well. Hairy hinges are OK I suppose, but the ones supplied in most AFTFs never seem to take up the glue correctly and can give a dry joint. I'd always replace them with 'Great Planes' hinge strip which sucks the thin cyano into itself really well.