Sometimes Its the simplest thing that goes wrong

Adrian Smith 1

I was happily flying my Dymond 50cc Sbach 232 on an sunny Suffolk Thursday morning when towards the end of the fourth flight there came the dreaded phuut! and the engine cut on the downwind leg of all places. It is testament to the lightness and good design of the aircraft that I had enough height to glide and complete the downwind leg and turn into wind and execute a near perfect dead stick on the runway, even if I say it myself.

I couldn't restart it so that's it for the day and back to the workshop and investigate. Now the OS gasser in the plane is normally sooooo reliable, but anyway started to investigate from the tank forwards, nothing amiss with the tank, plumbing, filter, fuel getting to the carby no probem. Well last thing to check is the spark plug. Lo and behold the plug boot had worked itself loose and was not fully pushed in. Oh the dreaded vibration bird! Note to myself to check the fit after every couple of flights. Anyway fuelled up in the workshop yard for a test and she fired on the first twist of the starter and ran perfectly. Why is it the thing that's wrong is quite often the last thing you check? Anyway lesson learned.

• 7 months later...
Posted by ted hughes on 27/06/2015 12:10:43:

We should say to ourselves, "where is the last place I would look, what is least likely to have caused the problem"

then we would find it straight away in the first place we looked!

Which would also be the last place you looksmiley