First Radio

trebor

I need some advise on getting my first transmitter, the local club near me uses spektrum so I was thinking about the Dx6i or the newer Dx6 black one. Both would be ok for training with. The newer one talks to you which might be helpful to me whilst learning. These have 6 channels but do I need any more or will this be enough for my needs ? I don't really want to upgrade any time soon so this has to be the right one. Only reason for asking is there is a big price jump for more channels.

Advert

I suspect you will get many opinions here. For what its worth in my opinion Spektrum is fine.

As regards number of channels you will obviously need the basic four, for a two servo wing that's another channel, so you have one spare, which could be retracts or seperate elevator halves. By the time you outgrow this your TX will either be quite tired or you will fancy something new. I'm using a DX7, the most involved plane I have only uses six channels and that has a two servo wing and split elevator halves, I'm thinking of adding smoke but that's the only way I'll use all seven!

As a learner I think six channels is fine.

Shaunie.

Six channels will cover most requirements for sports flying, but if you want to move on to something more demanding another two or three channels can be helpful. Get the best you can afford now (consider second-hand, if necessary) but, whatever you go for, do handle it first to be sure it's comfortable for you in use. My own experience is that you instinctively know when you have the right one in your hands, and it may not be the most expensive option.

If your using fuel don't you need a cut off switch. When I look at various model kits I cant see any indication as to how many servos a model needs. How do you find out these things, eventually id love to build a bi and tri plane. Is there a guide somewhere that tells you how many channels you need.

I'm not sure if you're also interested in comments from those who are not Spektrum fans, or is the brand decision made?

You're aware that you can pretty much buddy anything to anything, you dont have to use the same make - as an extreme example, Chris Bott buddies his Macgregor MR200 to a Spektrum!

chris_sc_tx.jpg

Cheers
Phil

Nothing wrong with the Dx6i - mine did me well for a couple of years before I went to the Dx8 and then the Dx9 - this hobby tends to make you do that...smile

Six channels will cover most of the models you'll be flying in the early stages anyway - and which I most often fly on a day to day basis now. I only need more than that with multi-servo wings in sailplanes.

However, what I will say is that the new DX6 is way ahead of the 6i in terms of its functionality and potential, with software upgrades available as and when necessary and downloadable program setups for various models. I wouldn't underestimate the value of the voice function either, which may seem to some a gimmick but I wouldn't want to give it up now.

If your budget can go the extra mile, it's worth considering it.

Pete

Hi Trebor

I have had a Spektrum Dx6i for nearly 3 years now and it is good. Certainly all you need to start and then some. What makes Spektrum stand out for me is the after sales service from Horizon Hobby. After a year and a bit (out of warranty) I broke the trainer switch. I e-mailed Horizon Hobby for the price of a new one and they sent me a new one by return of post, free. Last month I had problems with my transmitter. The model would go into fail safe at 150 metres on the ground. I thought it was probably the antenna which can be vulnerable but wanted it checked out so I sent the whole lot back to HH again asking for the cost of repair. Again I received it back 3 days later WITH A NEW TRANSMITTER free of charge. They have my custom now forever!

Posted by Philflyer on 14/11/2014 09:45:15:

Hi Trebor

I have had a Spektrum Dx6i for nearly 3 years now and it is good. Certainly all you need to start and then some. What makes Spektrum stand out for me is the after sales service from Horizon Hobby. After a year and a bit (out of warranty) I broke the trainer switch. I e-mailed Horizon Hobby for the price of a new one and they sent me a new one by return of post, free. Last month I had problems with my transmitter. The model would go into fail safe at 150 metres on the ground. I thought it was probably the antenna which can be vulnerable but wanted it checked out so I sent the whole lot back to HH again asking for the cost of repair. Again I received it back 3 days later WITH A NEW TRANSMITTER free of charge. They have my custom now forever!

I take it this is the site your on about http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/

Posted by trebor on 14/11/2014 10:15:47:

If I fancied getting a sailplane am I going to be restricted for choice in the future ?

Nope, when you add a new model to the TX you tell it what type of model it is Airplane, Helo or Sailplane, that then opens up different set ups appropriate for that type of airframe, so each individual model has its own specific set up of detailed operating parameters and of course binding to the correct RX

Here is a link to the DX6 Manual it may answer some questions for you  http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/SPM6700-Manual_EN.pdf

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 14/11/2014 10:31:26

Phil Green may well be right that anything can be buddied to anything (in theory and by electronics experts) But must instructors & clubs would only be happy with using the same makes together.

The latest DX6 might be the best for a newcomer to buy as it has a wireless trainer function doesn't it?

Posted by trebor on 14/11/2014 11:03:53:

Sorry I thought it depended how many servos were required in the wing as to the amount of channels might be needed on top of the normal controls. thinking Allot to learn all at once blush

Basic Control are:

1 Channel and 1 Servo for Elevator

1 Channel and 1 Servo for Rudder (Note Steerable nose/tail wheel might have an extra servo on a Y lead)

1 Channel and 1 Servo (IC) or an ESC (for Electric Power) for Throttle

Three ways of doing Ailerons:

a) 1 Channel and 1 Servo controlling both Ailerons

b) 1 Channel and 2 Servos (Y lead) each servo controlling 1 Aileron but permanently paired

c) 1 Channels and 2 Servos each controlling 1 Aileron (but programmed in the TX to obey 1 Stick)

Y Leads are a way of splitting the signal from the RC to two or more servos, when this is done each servo connected to the Y lead will move identically

Other channels get used for (in more advanced models)

Flaps

Retracting Undercarriage

Glider Tow release

Bomb/Parachute Drop

Smoke

Other "special" effects

In a nutshell, a 6 function Tx will give you the ability to have throttle, elevator and rudder on one channel each, two channels for ailerons (which will give you the option to set programmed differential or spoilerons) and one channel for flaps.

Plenty there for some fairly complex power models. It will also be enough for most sailplanes as the mixes will allow you to set 'crow' braking, where the ailerons go up and the flaps down, to provide a braking effect. What you won't be able to have is full-span ailerons, where the flaps act in unison with the ailerons.

As Dave says, you'll need extra channels, or lose some of the above options, if you want retracts etc but that is a little way down the road at present...smile

Pete

I am not sure if it has been mentioned already, but you should see what brand of radio is in the majority at your flying club.

Personally I have used Futaba for 25 years and suffered one failure in that entire time, most of which was (and still is) on 35Mhz.

If it were me I would go for the Futaba 6J and if you can stretch to it financially the 8J (I use the 8J myself) as you will be quite future proof with that and its nice and easy to program.

If you go for the 6J you can always upgrade to the 8J later as it uses the same receivers.

As for the talking radios, personally I hate them as they are very distracting when I hear some computerised woman telling the guy next to me its time to land. Also in my experience training you will not hear it anyway as you will be so intently concentrating on keeping your model in the blue bit and away from the green bit!

Edited By Jon Harper on 14/11/2014 12:53:21

Just seen your reply, trebor. Yes, four channels is enough to control the aircraft but nowadays, with programmable transmitters, most of us tend to use two channels for aileron, one on each. This gives us the opportunity to set differential, which is where the aileron goes down less than it goes up, which can be helpful in preventing adverse yaw. It also means you can use the ailerons as 'spoilerons', where both ailerons go upwards a couple of degrees to reduce lift and aid landing.

Using 2 channels just means they become more versatile - it certainly isn't essential.

Many modellers will happily settle for 6 ch and never need more - but you'll not know that for sure until the bug's truly bitten.....teeth 2

Pete

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 14/11/2014 12:47:42:

In a nutshell, a 6 function Tx will give you the ability to have throttle, elevator and rudder on one channel each, two channels for ailerons (which will give you the option to set programmed differential or spoilerons) and one channel for flaps.

Pete

If im getting this right my 6 channels are used up thinking