PSS Tornado GR1

Phil Cooke

Advert

cheers for the comments chaps!

Pete - good to have you back in one piece - I hope you've had a good week on piste - now crack on with the covering!

Steve - I think I'm just going to make it, I'm off work now until Thursday with some good opportunity to 'hide away' from the family in the garage so yes, still hoping to have this flight ready for 11th, just in time.

Tim - yes there should be a number of new models on show at our first event and again at the June meet too. There's clearly plenty of energy still within the PSSA ranks generating a lot of new exciting slope models - fantastic stuff!!! thumbs up

Pre-breakfast modelling must mean there's a deadline looming! clockmoonembarrassed

Milestone achieved before my cornflakes though, in that the fuselage wing 'saddle' has been cut off and the wing has been fitted (unbolted) and seating confirmed as ok.

The spine gets quite chunky towards the front and was beyond the 'reach' of a normal scalpel or mini hacksaw so it gave me the perfect chance to utilise my new scalpel razor saws, as recently recommended by Danny Fenton and procured by Matt. Thanks chaps they worked a treat (although I did have to hunt high and low for the smaller scalpel handle)

topdeck1.jpg

topdeck2.jpg

Having marked the spine up it was a pretty straight forward task to create an accurate cut and in a couple of minutes we could see the insides of the fuselage for the first time in a long time!

topdeck3.jpg

With the wing saddle removed I could check the wing seating for the first time.

topdeck4.jpg

The SD6060 wing section is almost flat bottomed so the fit on the underside was good, you can see I've over estimated the size of the wing around the L/E and suction surface shoulder, this will have to be infilled (and it will be covered by the wing root L/E extensions or gloves anyway - so no problem. Key thing is the wing seats nicely and the incidence is as intended.

topdeck5.jpg

Investigating the wing alignment further whilst in the process of drilling bolt holes and fitting load spreaders, it was clear that the wing was seating on the outer air intakes only and not actually bedding on the stronger, inner fuselage walls. The mismatch ran in from zero at the front to approx 3mm at the back, so I trimmed the tops of the intake sides down allowing the wing to seat on the main fuselage sides (where the captive nuts are fitted) I'm happy that this hasn't altered the incidence of the wing from the plan as the inner fuselage sides were cut accurately to the drawing.

To drill the bolt holes accurately through the foam wing I utilised Petes excellent idea of sharpening a couple of cut down bolts and fitting them so they are just proud of the wing seat.

wing bolt 1.jpg

Positioning the wing accurately and pressing it down onto the points on the bolts had the positions marked and very quickly we had the wing accurately drilled and fitted. Next job is to add a couple of 1/8th ply load spreaders - Ill fit these flush or sub flush mounted into the top of the wing ensuring that they don't foul on the wing saddle.

wing bolt 2.jpg

A number of things completed today, wing saddle fitted, fettled and drilled for access to the wing bolts, Rx and switch harness fitted, full radio check for fus and wing set up, cockpit fillet added and shaped, final sand all over including the wing tips - just need to finish the wing gloves and LEX and shes ready for covering - finally!

cockpit 16.jpg

I made the canopy fillet from balsa in the end - was worried about sanding the hard P38 next to the soft (shaped) fuselage - this proved easy enough - only stand off scale admittedly.

cockpit 14.jpg

cockpit 15.jpg

I've built up the wing gloves in balsa, a bit like building up a little wing in 3D space. First I cut a symmetrical wing rib section in 1/8" balsa extending 60mm forwards of the true wing LE - I glued this to the wing saddle (and not the fuselage!) To this I added a 1/8th" balsa sub LE at the required angle of sweep.

With that triangular 'frame' in place you can glue the balsa gloves down onto the wing and pull them down and round onto the rib and sub LE. Same top and bottom. I used 3/32" balsa to aid the curvature, I couldn't bend the 1/8th without it snapping. On the top side I then stuck another piece of 3/32" to give the glove enough depth.

wing glove 1.jpg

All they need now is a little sanding and a 1/4" LE adding to the front face, sanding that round. Job done, but they seem to have added quite a lot of weight to the wing!

That's interesting Phil. I am doing this today, hopefully. I thought the plan suggests that you put two sheets on top, one underneath the pull them together at the front using something like contact adhesive? This means that it will taper from root to tip and leading edge to trailing edge in a shamfer style if you get me.

Anyway I will do mine how I think it is meant to be and Andy can give his view?

Also I was going to cut off the angle at the leading edge so that it stops at the front of the wing. Andy's wing gloves are drawn for his wing not ours which is narrow from leading edge to trailing edge? Or have I got it wrong?

Not got too much done today, with the weather being so glorious Ive been out with the kids most of the day, but I have managed to finish the build with the addition of the LE on the wing gloves, which have been sanded up, and a final sanding check has been performed in the sun - so the build is complete - tonight, the covering begins!

finished frame 1.jpg

finished frame 2.jpg

PS - she's no floater - with the R/C gear in she tips the scales at 3lb - with covering still to add - just hope I can balance her with the battery without having to add any lead up front.