PSS Tornado GR1

Phil Cooke

Advert

Used as I am to eating humble pie (being married and all) you are right. I put the wing gloves on and one does need about a 1/4 inch leading edge to fill the gap left, so I did the same as you apart from the inner rib against the air intake. I used contact adhesive as my blog shows and it was fine. What glue did you use?

Hi Pete - how you getting on?? I used PVA on the large areas of the glove that fitted onto the wing veneer, then ran thin cyano into the LE joint when I had it bent over into position and clamped. Sounds like 50 shades of glue! devil

I'm back in work tomorrow so desperately trying to finish mine today/tonight if I can - my fus is all covered and decaled up now, wing in covering as I write, just stopped for a bite to eat. Ill post a photo as soon as I can finish the covering and shes into paint.

Still not finished - the covering has taken forever!!! So many faceted surfaces on this one - I was up till nearly 3am covering the wing and wing saddle - this was the trickiest part. It's all covered now, but still needs ailerons and tails fitting, decals, some paint in places - still a bit to do... crying 2

Hi Phil,

Do you know where the CG should be with the extra wing sweep? I've just realised that I've balanced mine at approximately the same position relative to the wing leading edge/fuselage side junction as on Andy's original plan. But with the extra wing sweep, this is going to be too far forward. Have you figured out a better position?

Steve - Ive just been looking at this myself.

The plan as drawn shows a CoG range from 130mm to 150mm rear of F4.

Relative to the plan, our wing is mounted further forward, it has less axial chord, and slightly more sweep.

Taking all of this into account there wont be much difference I think in CoG position - the increased sweep compensating for the forward position of the wing. I've balanced mine so the CoG is 130mm rear of the rear face of F4. Im not saying that's absolutely right, but that's how shell be tested in the morning...

Well, she's not totally finished, still in need of a number of details - but I've run out of time and she is ready to fly.

It's been a hard slog to get it here in time I must admit, with family and work, even with the Easter break falling so kindly - she was a tough one to cover!!! angry 2

fully covered 1.jpg

fully covered 2.jpg

She's ready to go at 3lb 4oz. I had to add a little lead up front to get the CoG where I think its needed, time will tell if I've been too conservative or too aggressive. All the radio is set up with huge expo on the elevator as its so powerful looking.

Forecast is very good for tomorrow on the Orme so once I've got my hand in again on an older model (I've not flown yet this year) Ill be left with no excuses... wish me luck!

Well the MRCA was twice flown successfully at the Gt. Orme in very good conditions - 45 to 50mph winds on the SW slope. I'm glad to report that the model flew well, very smooth with sharp controls and good penetration even in those 'top end' winds. It needed just a little down trim on the all moving tail but my guestimate on CoG (having altered the position, chord and sweep of the wing from the plan) proved satisfactory.

Here's a couple of in flight shots taken on Saturday - thanks to Rez for the photography!

first flight 2.jpg

first flight 1.jpg

There were 3 brand new Tornados at the event - all successfully test flown on the day, so my congrats also go to PSSA members Peter Garsden and Steve McLaren who will no doubt also be posting soon in their build blogs. At one point we did manage to get all 3 machines in the air simultaneously although we never got close enough for a 3-ship formation photo...

Andy Conway, the designer was also on site and no doubt watched on feeling very proud. Cheers Andy good to see you! thumbs up

Roll on June, when we should see another 4 Tonkas ready for the slope...