Airsail Kits now available

kevin b

Well they're finally here !

After what seems an eternity, the Airsail Kits have arrived and I appear to have lost my workshop.

Some of you may recall early in the year a discussion about the demise of the Airsail Chipmunk kits. Well after a considerable number of e-mails and with a great deal of help from ZK BAP, we managed to persuade Brian Borland (of Airsail Kits) to produce a limited run of kits. Brian is now retired, but with a bit of arm twisting and the waving of NZ dollars he ended up enjoying the task and is now building models again ! We also managed to get him to send a few Beaver and Auster kits (Not the quarter scale).

This is a very limited number and as the encouragement came from the forum I have decided to offer them for sale here first. This is not specifically a business venture, so I have tried to get the prices as near to the NZ ones as possible, bearing in mind the shipping costs involved.

The prices are;

Chipmunk £163.00

Auster £143.00

Beaver £127.00

These prices are inclusive of delivery in the U.K subject to verification of delivery by my couriers (some postcodes are not covered and Parcel Force 48 will add £10.00 to the cost). Non U.K buyers must contact me first for a shipping quote. They will also be responsible for any import duty at their end.

If you are interested, please PM me or leave a message on the thread.

kevinb

Edited By kevin b on 23/11/2014 15:37:54

Advert

Well, received my Chipmunk kit today. Fantastic quality all round. The balsa selection seems spot on, as does the rest of the wood in the kit. Beautifully crisp and detailed rolled plans together with a very clear set of building instructions.

The ABS mouldings are of good quality as is the canopy. If your looking to join in with Danny's mass build, then I can thoroughly recommend this kit. Mine's unfortunately being wrapped up as I type until I can get my mits on it at Christmas.

Must also take the opportunity to thank Kevin for going to the trouble of importing these kits. After seeing the quality of this one, I'm thinking about picking up a Beaver too.

Great stuff!!

Simon, I must confess to buying a beaver as well as a Chippie; its a less complicated model but the quality is every bit as good. Mine is being laid up for a bit whilt I finish other projects but if you want to know more about it let me know and I can post some pics.

Not sure how many Beavers came over, but they were limited in number so don't think about it for too long!

Trevor

Hi ZK, yeah to be honest the thought did cross my mind!! I don't think I could have whipped the contents out and replaced them without getting rumbled, I did manage to remove the plans and instructions however, to peruse at my leisuresmiley

Thanks for the offer Trevor, I'm still trying to work out if I can get the Beaver kit through the door without getting caught. I might try the trick of a present for somebody else(?) It is that time of year after all.

I must confess to not being a fan of ARTF's, I know for some people it allows them to get straight into flying, avoiding the hours of building, but for me I don't think you can beat a good kit or even a good set of plans, it's very enjoyable to while away the winter evenings building something. Really great that these kits have been made and are available again, if only for a short period of time.

Thanks to all involved.

Simon.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

I thought I would put up a few photos as there have been a few questions about the Beaver and Auster kits.

The Auster.

auster (2).jpg

auster (1).jpg

auster.jpg

The Beaver

imgp2513.jpg

imgp2514.jpg

imgp2515.jpg

Oh Dear. Now I've opened those boxes, I won't be able to sell them ! That's a shame.  wink 2

Edited By kevin b on 29/11/2014 18:51:45

I have 3 chippies, 2 beavers and 2 austers, one the 1/4 scale other the smaller one. All have been fantastic kits and very enjoyable to build They do sit well together at shows and fit along perfectly like Kevin F mentioned above. Almost like having your very own squadron reallyyes

I would grab one while they are available. Could be a very long time before any more may be produced, we just don't know at this stage, but fingers crossed ladswink

ZK BAP

MFNZ 11300

My chippie has arrived. Really impressed with the kit, lovely wood and very crisp mouldings. The plans are a thing of beauty and I'm looking forward to a few happy hours gazing at them before I even think about starting to build. Many thank to ZK and Kevin for getting these kits to us. Was thinking of getting the Beaver too but after lurking on the depron threads, especially Electriflier's Spit and AT 6, and having picked up a few sheets of the stuff at the Nats, I am thinking of having a go at a Beaver in depron. Never used it before but it looks like it would be fun to try. Thanks again ZK and Kevin.

Well - confession time - Pete B and Danny F look away now! wink 2 (Sorry Pete - the Winter Fuel Allowance was burning a hole in my pocket I just couldn't help it!)

Kev - just wanted to say that the Auster AOP9 kit arrived in very good order. Like Dave Holland2 above the first that strikes you is the quality of everything and the plan is superb. The plastic moulding are not flimsy and everything is very neatly cut - even the shear webbing pieces are cut. If ever the 1/4 scale becomes available again - count me in.

I would buy a Chippie too to 'put aside' but SWMBO might find out...........

I've no connection with Kevin or Airsail but If you're thinking of getting one - treat yourself you will not be disappointed.

Thanks Kevin for organising this it must've have been a nightmare dealing with Customs etc! Well done!yes

Terry

For the benefit of the younger reader Colin is not describing me as cad = "computer aided design" but it is a Regency period swear word referring to me as "a man who acts with deliberate disregard for another's feelings or rights particularly in respect of women" He's absolutely right of course!

The Earl of Leighfield may be pacified to know that it will be some time before I too could get round to even thinking about building the said aeroplane.

Terry

Hi Trebor.

If you are familiar with aircraft kits (wood), then these fall into the "good quality" type. The stripwood is straight and all the shaped parts are either laser cut or vac-formed.

As is usual you will need to supply the covering, adhesives, power system including fuel tank (if building i/c), oh and wheels (why do kit manufacturers do that, is it cost ?). Also, obviously you will need to supply your own radio equipment. What you see in the photos I have posted is all in the box, which measures 1000mm x 160mm x 140mm.

If you are interested then PM me. I will need your e-mail address to create a Paypal invoice and a contact number for the couriers. That is unless you live in the Leeds (West Yorkshire) area.

Hope that answers your questions. Any more just PM me or leave them on the thread.

kevinb.

Posted by Terry Walters on 07/12/2014 13:09:18:

Well - confession time - Pete B and Danny F look away now! wink 2 (Sorry Pete - the Winter Fuel Allowance was burning a hole in my pocket I just couldn't help it!)

You should know by now not much gets past me, Terry Walters! smile d

You're a very naughty man, that's all I can say.... I assume this will be your Winter 2017 build?wink 2

Pete

I didn't post any photos of the Chipmunk kit earlier, so here you are.

chipmunk (2).jpg

chipmunk (3).jpg

chipmunk (4).jpg

chipmunk (5).jpg

This particular kit is the one which the shipping company or carriers tried to destroy (See last photo). Fortunately it was only the box and one piece of wood which were damaged, so this one will be mine.

• 2 weeks later...