building a big spit

Advert

MVVS 80 gone in, total weight looking like 38-39lb just in the final stages of radio installation and detailing at the moment so she should be well sorted for next year. To be honest its been a bit of a stop start project over the last couple of years as I picked up the model virtually built but then set about doing a complete strip down, rebuilt a few areas and made quite a lot of changes and then a complete re cover and paint job. This resulted in dropping the weight by a couple of pound, made the construction a little more robust and generally easier to maintain. I have a pet hate of excess epoxy and carrying dead weight in the wrong areas so the tail was a total rebuild and the nose and bulkhead also totally re worked. Linds

Ben - hopefully you're aware that a 1/4 scale Spitfire (@ 110 inches) will be pushing the 20kg weight limit where it becomes a small aircraft and will need CAA exemption, so I'd recommend considering discussing any large model plans with the LMA before starting construction.

Edited By Martin Harris on 29/11/2014 23:49:03

It's a good point you make Martin, although at this size it can be built within the 20kg limit it is worthwhile and sensible practice to seek advice and indeed assistance from the LMA for such projects if you have not undertaken such a project before that brings you close to the or potentially over the CAA limits.

check out mick reeves 1/4 scale spit. The instructions are pants (if you even get any) but the model is spot on for looks and should be about 30-35lbs

Or, go a bit smaller and build the 80 inch DB spit. They are a handy size to fit in the car and fly well. I would love a 1/4 spit, but having seen a friend buy one and then realise just how massive it is I think I will have to wait a bit longer for more space!

Edited By Jon Harper on 30/11/2014 10:07:57

Why would you blow up a 72" plan to over 100+ inch then have to redesign a suitable structure into it when there are a few good designs out there already. The TN plan you speak of would be a heavy model simply blown up as the sheet sizes would be too thick, the former and rib spacings probably too far apart. The Mick Reeves offering is a great design, easy to build with a bit of thought, flies superbly though you wouldn't want it any lighter than about 35lb as it wouldn't look right getting blown about in anything but flat calm weather. The Brian Taylor 83" plan would blow straight up without modification though as the structure is of the 'more bits but less material' variety.

Ian.

I am with Ian on this why blow up a smaller scale plan, there are lots of greAt designs out there purposely for 1/4 scale, whilst micks kits can require a bit of thought and fetteling they do all fly well, from an experience standpoint I suggest you listen to our Ian! Ps if you do fancy a slightly smaller spitfire I can really recommend the current db spitfire as a good kit a great flier

If you really want to blow up a smaller plan to the size you want, I would heavily recommend that you didnt simply photo enlarge it as the lines will grow in thickness making accuracy of very difficult, the thicknesses of wood will be enlarged to sizes you probably cant buy (meaning almost every chunk of wood would have to be correctly thicknessed down to the enlarged size. The construction methods may not support the weight of the enlarged airframe (ie former spacing will be increased reducing the ratio of Wood:Air in the fuselage etc....

If you really want to go that way, I would suggest you would be far better redrawing the main sections onto heavy duty plasticsed tracing paper and building from that, so you can add formers/ribs to keep the strength and keep the profile drawn lines to a sane thickness

But like people say, why no just buy a Mick Reeves plan and the ply formers for £47 plus P&P?