Best blow torch

Dave Hopkin

Advert

The Model Engineer Exhibition at Sandown Park next week or the Alexandra Palace show mid January would be a good place to view and buy this sort of item. Having a chat with the always helpful model engineers on the SMEE stand would be worthwhile first.

Of course if it's just a one off small job like an elevator horn it might be worth putting the item in your pocket when you go to the show and ask the SMEE  workshop how you could silver solder it and maybe they will actually do it to demonstrate!

Edited By kc on 05/12/2014 19:57:00

Posted by john stones 1 on 05/12/2014 20:01:13:
Posted by Andrew767 on 05/12/2014 19:45:18:

Dave.....as an ex plumber, i would say use MAP gas......don't bother with butane....have a look at Rothenburger torches. Expensive but they work!

Andrew

Prices you charge no wonder you bought the best cheeky

John

Oouch........That's cold!!!

Dave...there are Rothenburger copies at B&Q...less than half the price but definitely use MAPP gas,it's much hotter.

Andrew

I have a Rothenburger SuperFire and can definitely recommend them. Use with the yellow MAP gas and you can silver solder and braze with it.

Also good for tempering U/C after soldering or heating to form bends to remove any brittleness in the wire.

And the top tool for lighting barbeques!

Not so good for heatshrink though! surprise

Yes get map gas,

It is surprising how little silver solder you need when using the right flux and a good flame.

It is well worth the expense to get a torch that will last for years unlike the cheaper butane torches.

Map gas apparently gives about 25% extra heat, The refrigeration technicians use it where I work, and they do loads of silver soldering.

+1 for Rothenburger and MAP gas.

For small soldering I've used the Proxxon micro torch which was great but as all Proxxon tools I've owned it stops working after a while.

Micro torch recommendations as well??

I also got a small twin pack as well with oxygen and some other gas (?) - that was a good buy as well!

Edited By Stevo on 07/12/2014 20:51:19