1/3rd Classic Scale Tiger Moth -

Posted by Jez Harris 1 on 15/12/2014 10:53:17:

Hi,

I'm waiting for a CD of Tiger Moth details to arrive in the post, but in the meantime I've spent a bit of time perusing these..

**LINK**

Anyone else got any links to decent walkarounds?

Jez

Are you still working at the same place Jez or have you now left? If you are will drop my Tiger Moth books etc round for you to borrow, Simon used them when he built his.

Aaaw that is a nasty colour scheme, looks like a Chinese ARTF, crammed with blingy bits from every scheme they've seen and then some more just to 'busy' it up a bit!! Each to their own and all that though!! I like the classic period schemes. Jez, have a look at Midland Aero Club, they had Tigers in IIRC red or blue with club lettering on the cowlings. I like the blue of this one. There is also the Super Tigers like the 'Deacon' or the unfortunate 'Canon' shown here. The isn't a nose over, its the final throws of a spin from 300ft or so!! I love how the pilot is leaning back for the impending impact! He did survive but I don't think the Canon did. I think the colours were black and white, but perhaps black and the dreaded yellow!!

Ian.

205223.jpg

lewis%20benjamin.jpg

Ian/Jez - I was there and saw it! First airshow at Sywell I ever went to. Must've been early sixties? I was standing about where this photo was taken from. He's been doing a 'crazy flying' spot and then got into difficulties.

There was a massive 8 or 10 wheel USAF fire tender present because there had a been a F101Voodoo pair flypast. The crew were beaten to the crash by the local fire truck and when they arrived the locals had to physically stop them trying to drench the Canon in a mountain of foam. IIRC the pilot injuries weren't to bad and the aeroplane was repaired.?

Terry

Edited By Terry Walters on 15/12/2014 20:01:46

Posted by fly-navy on 15/12/2014 19:25:59:

Are you still working at the same place Jez or have you now left? If you are will drop my Tiger Moth books etc round for you to borrow, Simon used them when he built his.

Hi John,

I'm still working there till Friday - tomorrow and Weds I'm in the Jewellery Quarter - Thurs and Friday I'm in Brierley Hill.

I could collect from you if you like?

Jez

Posted by Jez Harris 1 on 15/12/2014 21:05:44:
Posted by fly-navy on 15/12/2014 19:25:59:

Hi John,

I'm still working there till Friday - tomorrow and Weds I'm in the Jewellery Quarter - Thurs and Friday I'm in Brierley Hill.

I could collect from you if you like?

Jez

Thurs lunchtime ok before I take madam to the hairdressers??

Afraid it's chaos week mate with xmas visits ,baby sitting etc and as for next week don't know where to fit xmas day incrook

Give me a time thurs best for you, either lunchtime or end of day.

PS You need some "Soft jaws" for that vicious looking vice cool

Edited By fly-navy on 15/12/2014 22:34:43

Posted by reg shaw on 13/12/2014 20:07:51:

Looking good Jezzer. You have one of the Heron Tiger Kits. Designed by Fred Beard in the late 80's early 90's. The rights to the kits, plus any stock of kits were sold to Ian Castle of Classic Scale. He altered a couple of bits on the design and sold a few kits under the Classic Scale brand. Ian Castle worked with Matthew Boddington restoring real tigers so he had opportunity and availability to get any alterations he made right!! Anyhoo, back to your kit, ignore all of the keel bits as that's all for the inline twin version. Your mount and a Zenoah 62 is a great combination in this model, 24 x 8 or 10 prop keeps the revs and noise down with plenty of power for scale flight at 1/2 power. The two I built didn't have any central keel parts, just the lower ply side frames seen in the pic. If this pic is massive, I'll let you copy it then I'll reduce it so it doesn't spoil your page set up, if it does that is!

Ian.tiger moth 011.jpg

Wow Ian - That picture really really helps!

That looks amazing - I will be chuffed to bits if mine looks that good.

I see what you mean about doing away with the supplied ABS control box - it looks so much better in wood.

Jez

Okay,,,bit more done..

You have to start adding the brackets at this point - A lot of them will require subsequent removal before covering.

To get them positioned exactly you need to keep the 2 side frames tacked together and use a drill press to keep all the holes limes up.

The brackets then bolt through with brasswork on both sides of the sideframes.

moth 072.jpg

4 of the brackets hold drilled cross members. These create rigidity and squareness in the structure.

moth 074.jpg

T'other frame then bolts on.

moth 075.jpg

The 2 top plates go on, and a quick check to see if the front seat frame fits ok..yup!

moth 078.jpg

And a cheeky check of the front seat..

moth 080.jpg

Jez

Next up the firewall gets glued in. The only contact here is glue down the two 6mm sides - nothing top and bottom as there are just the metal tubes as cross members. I think I will reinforce this area a smidge.

moth 079.jpg

moth 081.jpg

Next up I need to fabricate the 2 nose side plates - these will bolt to the brackets at the four corners of the firewall and support all of the cowling.

So ..more 6mm square spruce. These are simple frames but have simulated metal plates that have to be let into the frames. The plates are just 0.8mm ply. A quick cut and a simple scrape with a file creates a void.

moth 082.jpg

When the plates are glued in and finished up they sit flush with the rails.

moth 085.jpg

These "plates" are fitted on both sides of the framework. These are almost ready for paint.

moth 086.jpg

A quick check on the fus...

moth 087.jpg

Jez

Posted by Jez Harris 1 on 17/12/2014 22:25:03:

Next up the firewall gets glued in. The only contact here is glue down the two 6mm sides - nothing top and bottom as there are just the metal tubes as cross members. I think I will reinforce this area a smidge.

Wow! That looks so fragile - especially when destines to take the grunt of the engine. Which all goes to show just how little I know about design engineering!

tim