1/3rd Classic Scale Tiger Moth -

Hello again...

Sorry about the gap in postings but I had a take away curry in January which at the time gave me and my daughter food poisoning - It put her in hospital, which with visiting her (she's autistic and doesnt do hospitals very well!!) meant I didnt get help for me... I eventually thought I was over it after a couple of weeks but suddenly had an episode of acute stomach pain - bad enough to end up in A&E where they diagnosed Hepatitis A as a direct result of the food poisoning..GRRR!!

So Ive been off the beer, wine, spicy food etc and not really feeling up to gluing and sticking..until the last couple of days where I've been back on it with a vengeance.

Update time then..

First off I decided to get some redundancy into the radio installation - the plans call for a solid elevator driven by a single shaft from the rear of the center console as per the fullsize - this is ok for the fullsize as its all mechanically driven with nothing to wrong but pilot error. With the time and effort going into this build I want to get rid of some of the single point of failure opportunities - I know I cant eradicate everything but as I go through the radio installation I hope to cover as much as possible i.e. dual recievers, dual batteries, soft switches that fail to on etc.

Here's the original console...

moth 107.jpg

A bit of re-engineering later..

moth 007.jpg

And the servo installation underneath..

moth 008.jpg

Jez

Advert

The rudder is driven by a single servo -( I use Hitec 645s throughout.)moth 009.jpg

The rudder bar is as full size with a single bar extending right through the fus. The downside of this is that you have to devise a way of installing the centre console, then sliding the bar through the fus and securing it in place.

I will be making the centre console fully removable through the rear cockpit, so need to plan for this too.

What I decided to do was silver solder a pair of 2mm nuts to the bar and this enables me to attach it to a large servo disc.

Access to this is via the front seat - it will be removable.

moth 010.jpg

Jez

Another job ticked off is the instrument panels - The supplied textured panels are great, I had a few dials kicking around from a crashed Moth someone was scrapping - they are quite old I believe so have just the patina I was looking for..I just need to sort the compasses out, and perhaps some better oil gauges.

moth 011.jpg

moth 012.jpg

With the centre console ready, I fitted the front seat frame and the seat, along with the backrests - the textured plastic looks great througout.

moth 013.jpg

And the rear seat..

moth 014.jpg

Jez

Some gratuitous cockpit shots then..

Rear ( where the instructor/primary /solo pilot sits)

moth 017.jpg

Front..moth 019.jpg

I have fitted the centre console using half a dozen captive nuts let into the cross memebers I added to the bottom of the console. Its not exactly scale but due to the way the servos are buried into the console, it was a toss up between doing it that way or cutting totally non scale access hatches into the floor. The only way to access the servos is to remove the console by firstly removing the rudder bar, undoing the 6 captive nuts, detaching the cables from the elevator pivot arms, undoing all servo cables etc....Luckily all the surfaces are via closed loop cables so I will be able to make any minor adjustments externally...thumbs up

moth 021.jpg

Crash padding in place..

moth 022.jpg

I've also primed and top coated all the brackets for the fuselage. I am aiming to fully finish the fuselage, including covering it and installing all metalwork before moving on to the wings. Its too big a structure to leave kicking around the garage attracting all sorts of hanger rash.

moth 023.jpg

moth 025.jpg

Jez

Edited By Jez Harris 1 on 05/03/2015 20:11:30

Thanks for all the kind comments..

Gutted about the Hepatitis - I like a few beers and really enjoy making and imbibing of the infamous Dawn Patrol Home Brew Wine..

Fingers crossed its only temporary - At least there will be a good stock to take to the first few shows this year!

Jez

Hi Jez

I was searching the forum for some info on the very same classic scale kit I have had for 3 years.

I bought mine for about the same money with a deal on my DB Nieuport in exchange. Its partially built but some parts missing, like the engine mount but with the wings and fuz built its not to daunting.

Do you think you could measure up the mount for me so I can make one up please? any other issues that you might have may well be already completed on mine if I can help.

Regards Tim

Bit more done,,

Its getting a bit tough - the things I'm doing now are long, slow jobs. The cowling is next up - this took ages to cut all the ABS from their mouldings.

The metal work for the cowl cheeks had to be got right first time so I got through a few cardboard templates before going live so to speak....

First up a bit more sheet to fold - these will eventually be the cowl retention wotsits..

moth 025.jpg

First they get folded in half

moth 026.jpg

Then take some screws, cut the heads off and file a flat on one end..

moth 023.jpg

Silver solder the 2 together, round the edges and repeat another 3 times..

moth 027.jpg

Add these to four brass plates that have been bent around a drill shank...

moth 028.jpg

Jez

Next up it was time to fold the cowl cheeks..

These are tricky as the cowls are flat at the front but bulge out at the back to go over the oil tank one one side.

heres the r/h side

moth 002.jpg

The hinges need to be folded - one half the hinge is on the cowl cheek, the other is a strip..

moth 004.jpg

These are folded..

moth 008.jpg

they need a bit of tweaking with a flat file..

moth 009.jpg

I used some piano wire to bend the hinges around

moth 006.jpg

moth 007.jpg

I bent the cheeks over a smooth cylinder - in this case the butane torch I had handy

moth 010.jpg

Hers one I made earlier..

moth 011.jpg

To stiffen the cheeks, the leading edge and the bottom are bent through 180 degrees.

To get these folds crisp, I simply squeezed them in the vixe using metal rulers..Bodgertastic but it works

moth 012.jpg

Jez

Edited By Jez Harris 1 on 18/03/2015 22:40:27

So - a couple of hours worrying metal created the basic cheeks..

moth 014.jpg

Quick trial fit..

moth 017.jpg

Yup - hinges work..

moth 019.jpg

Catches for the cowls are in place..they are screws, however I cut them short and actually used them as rivets..whacked with a hammer and they are rock solid..They will be smoothed off as the full size ones are rivetted in

moth 029.jpg

Jez

Ooooohhh...

Engine stroking time...here it is bolted to the custom exhaust/mount.

Also fitted is the prop extension. engine is a brand spanking new Zenoah 62 - magneto instead of leccy ignition - nice and simple.

I need to make a manifold to connect engine to the exhaust. I will be ordering a Z62 manifold connector and silver soldering it to large diameter copper pipe. Unless anyone has a better suggestion???

moth 031.jpg

moth 032.jpg

Jez

The engine position is above the fus centreline. Here is the plan with with a long steel rule laying on the top longeron.

moth 036.jpg

I then clamped the steel rule to the fus and repeated the above..To achieve ths I had to stand the fus on its tail. With the engine in the correct place it was simply a case of drawing around the mounting plate to mark the firewall.

moth 038.jpg

With the engine in the right place, I then had the final position of the front of the cowl. Only now could I place the fixings for the cowl cheeks. These are more brass fittings - plates with tubes soldered to them.

moth 039.jpg

With locations known , the cowls could be trial fitted - looks ok to me..

moth 046.jpg

Another ABS moulding will form the bottom of the cowl.

moth 043.jpg

The fixing for the rear of the cowl is attached to the cowling framework..I used the springs from old biros to give sring loaded retainers..

moth 048.jpg

Jez