1/3rd Classic Scale Tiger Moth -

It's a bit chilly this time of year! Did an hour last week which was bearable.

I struggle with the photo uploading on this forum, it would be great if multiple images could be uploaded directly to a thumbnail gallery. Don't want to clog your thread up with huge piccies.

Will see if there is a way round it.

Posted by Tim Hooper on 11/12/2014 21:39:06:

Could I just take the opportunity to wish young Mr Harris every success with the build of this beautiful kit, and to let him know that I'm actually close to hating him for his good fortune?

tim

Just in from 2 hours in the man-cave...a bit of building done Tim..but mainly just looking at bits and stroking them...

'Tis gorgeous!!

Jez

Posted by Jez Harris 1 on 11/12/2014 22:44:56:

Just in from 2 hours in the man-cave...a bit of building done Tim..but mainly just looking at bits and stroking them...

'Tis gorgeous!!

Jez

Yeah, yeah. Enjoy it.

Seriously Jez, this is an epic project, and I'll follow with interest. Are you going with the twin Zenoah?

tim

Now this I am subscribed to Mr H. Saw the inspiration one many times starting at Sir Reds abode then Flapps and have eagerly awaited this one since you said you had got one.

I am ready to dribble, dribble, salivate and gasp in awe and look forward to your posts as much as the Pup one.

Take your time and thoroughly enjoy it.

Your decided scheme is ???????????

Posted by Tim Hooper on 11/12/2014 22:58:34:
Posted by Jez Harris 1 on 11/12/2014 22:44:56:

'Tis gorgeous!!

Jez

Yeah, yeah. Enjoy it.

Seriously Jez, this is an epic project, and I'll follow with interest. Are you going with the twin Zenoah?

tim

Nah - I have the combined mount/exhaust system for the straight 62 Zenoah and Mr Redshaw reckons this is the best combination.

Did I tell you its GORGEOUS?

Jez

Posted by fly-navy on 11/12/2014 23:30:30:

Now this I am subscribed to Mr H. Saw the inspiration one many times starting at Sir Reds abode then Flapps and have eagerly awaited this one since you said you had got one.

I am ready to dribble, dribble, salivate and gasp in awe and look forward to your posts as much as the Pup one.

Take your time and thoroughly enjoy it.

Your decided scheme is ???????????

Not sure yet John..I like the cream and red one you suggested..

Jez

So...

A couple of hours was spent completing the tailplane..

Wire trailing edges for the elevators were added - these were formed from 14 gauge wire. The wires will be wrapped in tex prior to covering the elevators.

dscf0008.jpg

The rib cap strips were added too - these aren't your normal balsa jobbies - they are birch.

dscf0009.jpg

Also added were the top and bottom ply plates that go between the 2 elevator halves.

Its quite a light construction despite the metalwork.

I'm not too concerned about weight yet - - The model will contain just under 400 ( - yes 400!) metal brackets and other metal bits so will see how it goes. The weight is supposed to be circa 24lb fully built and covered so we will see - I would be surprised if its as low as that.

Jez - currently contemplating whether its wings, fuselage or fin next...

Edited By Jez Harris 1 on 12/12/2014 10:04:47

Well I decided the fuselage would be next so I set about reading the plans and the manual.

I managed to totally confuse myself...here is the issue..

The exploded view of the nose on the plans shows the fire wall I expected to see -

A solid firewall on about a 60 degree angle. The all in one mount/exhaust simply bolts to this..

moth 050.jpg

The side view plans show something altogether different..Both it and the instruction book refer to a wooden "keel" to which the firewall/engine bolts..

Side view - I've highlighted the relevent bit..The firewall position I'm expecting is marked by the big arrow -

moth 047.jpg

Here is the outline of this part as shown as a pattern on the plans..

moth 048.jpg

The plans also include a template for a firewall - thus..

moth 051.jpg

To me, this is also the control box that runs down the centre of the full size moth to which the seats and control sticks mount..

Trouble is - I've already got this as an ABS part..All the servos for the rudder, throttle and elevators are designed to be hidden under here - and are actually mounted to the inside of this part so it becomes removeable as a unit.

moth 054.jpg

I had a quick chat with Ian Redshaw earlier - he thinks I have one of the earliest kits - when they were Heron rather than Classic Scale..

Looking good Jezzer. You have one of the Heron Tiger Kits. Designed by Fred Beard in the late 80's early 90's. The rights to the kits, plus any stock of kits were sold to Ian Castle of Classic Scale. He altered a couple of bits on the design and sold a few kits under the Classic Scale brand. Ian Castle worked with Matthew Boddington restoring real tigers so he had opportunity and availability to get any alterations he made right!! Anyhoo, back to your kit, ignore all of the keel bits as that's all for the inline twin version. Your mount and a Zenoah 62 is a great combination in this model, 24 x 8 or 10 prop keeps the revs and noise down with plenty of power for scale flight at 1/2 power. The two I built didn't have any central keel parts, just the lower ply side frames seen in the pic. If this pic is massive, I'll let you copy it then I'll reduce it so it doesn't spoil your page set up, if it does that is!

Ian.tiger moth 011.jpg

Anyway - time for a bit of building..

The fuselage box is framed up using 6mm square spruce throughout apart fom a couple of 6mm ply formers..

Only they werent in the kit! - I do have 2 sets of rudder pieces and 2 sets of seat frames so clearly the packing dept was having a bad day 20 plus years ago...

I simply traced the plan and cut 4 x 3mm ply parts which I sandwiched together in pairs. Quite a complex shape but I got there in the end..

moth 058.jpg

I had scarf jointed the upper and lower longerons earlier..

moth 056.jpg

I used a combination of Titebond for the joints into the former and epoxy for the spruce to spruce joints..moth 059.jpg

Lots of pins, weights and clamps to keep it all flat and squdged together..

Nowhere to hide with spruce joints - you cant squeeze bits in like you can with balsa!

moth 060.jpg

one side almost done..leaving it overnight to set!

moth 061.jpg

Onwards..

2 side frames now completed.

I've added little re-inforcing plates at all of the joints that wont br getting proper metal bracketry..

moth 063.jpg

Now that I have 2 identical plates, I tacked them together with a spot of cyano in about 8 places. There are several holes that need drilling through the frames to take the bracketry - all of which will need to be exactly aligned to keep the frame square. Glueing the frames together will stop bits moving about and allow me to drill through both sides in one go. To make the process and subsequent removal easier, I just used some scrap 64th ply - easy to sand off later.

moth 062.jpg

Here we go with a bit of bracketry. The build will require the folding and silver soldering of lots of metal work.

The brackets are either .5mm or .7mm thick.

I have started with some of the more difficult shapes..

Heres one I have cleaned and already put one fold in.

moth 064.jpg

I am using some scrap steel plates as formers to fold the brackets around

moth 065.jpg

A bit more folding then a quick solder and clean up...

moth 067.jpg

Sorry this last one is a bit dark.

moth 066.jpg

I think these brackets are going to keep me busy for a few evenings...some really need a bit of working on..

moth 069.jpg

moth 070.jpg