1/3rd Classic Scale Tiger Moth -

Advert

Thank you for the feedback!

Next up I will start to work on the central control box. In the full size the rudder, elevator and aileron controls run through this for both the front and back seat occupants..

Here are a couple of shots of the full size - first - in situ..

repairs to control box.jpg

And some new ones under construction..

control box construction.jpg

Jez

Now the kit does come with a control box but its a bit plasticky being made from a rather thick resin mould..

moth 054.jpg

The control box is wide enough to take all servos required for the elevator and rudder as well being the ideal place for the reciever. I will double up all servos to provide full redundancy.

I therefore copied the abs unit onto some 3mm ply..

moth.jpg

A bit of glueing and sticking later..

moth 086.jpg

Then some more 08mm ply..In this pic below you can also see the 2 seats and the relevent holes for them. The seats ill be made removable for access to the servo arms, but the entire centre console will be made removable to allow servicing.

moth 087.jpg

The elevator servo operates a push rod which in turn moves a pivoted arm. To make this operate smoothly I added a couple of brass bushings cut from brass tube which was then polished to create a smooth bearing..

moth 093.jpg

Edited By Jez Harris 1 on 20/01/2015 21:29:36

Just got on this build a bit late following some advice from Jez on another forum regarding servos for a 1/3rd scale model such as this.I agree John this is a fantastic build and having worked my way through the threads there are some excellent tips and scale items I can add to my 105" WS "chinese built" ARTF.Thanks to "flight1 " for the full size pics.I agree the colour scheme is naff and will probably go with silver or yellow RAF trainer scheme.I am also intending to remodel the undecarriage which is all wire in order to stop the fusalage taking all the shock.Jez you are teaching an old dog some new tricks and thanks for that.No offense taken Reg by the "chinese built ARTF" comment, it's just the beginning of something great hopefully.smiley

Hi Jez

liking the Tiggie build,,,,now what you need young man is a nice period vintage fuel can to go with it,,,,,here,s the very one!!!

chris

tried to do a link but i am useless at these computery things   grrr  grrr

Edited By ceejay on 30/01/2015 16:41:38

Edited By ceejay on 30/01/2015 16:42:36

Edited By ceejay on 30/01/2015 16:44:32

Edited By ceejay on 30/01/2015 16:46:04

• 2 weeks later...

Ok...back on it again,

I've been chipping away at little bits so here's an update...

First off I need to make a couple of control columns - nothing in the kit but they are straightforward enough.

Take a few bits of ali tube, and a couple of suitably sized washers.

moth 095.jpg

Join together..

moth 096.jpg

Make another..

moth 097.jpg

Then reach for a box of milliput modeling clay - great stuff this - you can make all sorts of knobs, buttons and other bits. Its rock hard when set and can be drilled, tapped and turned.

moth 098.jpg

I roughly knocked up a couple of hand grips and left it to dry- at the same time I made a couple of knobs for two of the controls for the slats.

moth 099.jpg

Jez

When dry I simply locked the columns into an electric drill and then using files and sandpaper, simply turned them to the right shape..

moth 103.jpg

A bit of silver paint..moth 104.jpg

Followed by black top coat,

moth 105.jpg

Before rubbing through the black in areas where the most wear occurs...

moth 108.jpg

They were then fitted into the finished console..

moth 107.jpg

The leather gaiters were knocked up from an old settee - seriously! I kept a few square meters of old leather and have used it a variety of models so far - usually as cockpit coaming.

It takes cyano readily and in my view looks great - just needs a bit of scuffing with a bit of sandpaper to age it a bit.

moth 109.jpg

Next up - dangly bits!

Jez

Edited By Jez Harris 1 on 09/02/2015 21:25:25

So, no more putting it off, No more fiddling with detailly bits - Its time to make the trotters!

First up though heres another bit of fiddly detail bits..

these are the control mechanisms that operate the locking slats. These will be glued to the right hand side of front and rear cockpits - a simple rod connects the 2 together.

moth 106.jpg

Ok - undercarriage then!

Heres the bits...

moth 110.jpg

moth 111.jpg

moth 112.jpg

Construction begins by creating two shock absorbers. There are a couple of different size tubes which will slide through each other. They need soldering in place and this is going to need a degree of finesse my chubby fingers may just struggle with..First off - the shorter of these two is soldered inside of the longer one. I have included this pic as the tube is shown in the position it will be soldered.

moth 113.jpg

Great care was taken to ensure the solder went only where required - i.e. between the 2 tubes.

moth 115.jpg

a shorter piece is then soldered to the top of the internal piston.

moth 114.jpg

This is how the 2 parts relate - the bottom one slides through the top one - the small sleeve prevents the piston dropping all the way through as it contacts the internal sleeve fitted to the lower tube.

moth 116.jpg

Simple washers and springs provide the boing - there are 2 strengths of spring fitted - Nice turned aluminium caps replicate the full size very well.

moth 118.jpg

At t'other end a very solid bracket is soldered in place..another turned fixture caps it all off.

moth 119.jpg

One finished strut..

moth 120.jpg

Jez -

heres the bits for the main undercarriage legs

moth 121.jpg

Simple this one - they just slot together - The 2 small collars need tapping to take fixings.

Next then, the bracket for the middle of the main struts. Some simple metal bending first..

moth 122.jpg

Next I need to form the v-shaped strut for the centre. Here is the profiled tubing and the small central pivot bush.

moth 124.jpg

I need to bend the brass profile around the pivot so its out with the heavy vice..I simply crushed the tubing using the vice - I shoved a screwdriver through the pivot to ensure it didnt distort

moth 126.jpg

Next a bit more vice work and bending..

moth 128.jpg

The pivot is then silver soldered in place, a couple of brackets were then silver soldered in place mid length of the v-strut before the whole thing was cleaned up and the main pivot brackets added.

moth 132.jpg

More tomorrow!

Jez