Throttle not controlling esc

vic.l

Hi,I have a esc which when connected to rudder,aileron or elevator channels it works as it should do,but when I connect to throttle nothing happen's.The esc make looks like a 'Hobbypower 10a'and my radio is a spectrum dx9 with orange receiver's.

If it isn't simply faulty then you might need to calibrate the throttle range. Most ESCs do this by positioning the throttle fully open before connecting the power - PROPELLER OFF - waiting for the beep sequence to stop and then close the throttle. Usually, a few more beeps will occur and the motor will then react to the throttle.

Sorry I should have said in my post,servo's work fine on throttle channel.The esc only has a red light which when connected to other channels will flash then go steady when the stick's are moved,but on throttle it just flashes.I've tried calibrating,adjusting trim but it does not help.Other esc'c I have work without a problem.I've bound the receiver to a working model in the tx memory and still the same problem.

Does the ESC automaticaly detect the number of cells ?
If not, or if there's an option to manualy input the cell count it's possible it's been set to a higher cell count than you're using, or even to different chemistry cells.

AFAICS the Hobbypower 10A ESC is for brushed motors, is that correct ?

I've tried reverse no change.The motors are brushed type and the batteries are AA ni-cad's at 6 volt.I just don't understand why the esc work's on the other channel's,but not on the throttle.I admit that I'm not fully experienced with radio's like the dx9,I've played with different setting's in the tx menu but I'm not getting anywhere with it.

Thank's for the reply's

vic.

Vic, try connecting the ESC and a spare servo simultaneously via a Y lead.
This will confirm the throttle channel is varying to the ESC.
Do you have a tester that can measure channel pulses?
Can you explain exactly whats happening with the LED a bit better? "The esc only has a red light which when connected to other channels will flash then go steady when the stick's are moved,but on throttle it just flashes"

I wonder if having tried it on centering channels its now trained to 1.5ms or something other than 1-2ms

When you say it works on the other channels - it shouldnt, because a neutral stick isnt low throttle, so it should refuse to arm, if it does arm on a neutralising channel then it surely must be trained wrongly for a 1-2ms throttle channel.

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 09/12/2014 09:35:12

Posted by Martin Harris on 08/12/2014 22:32:43:

If it isn't simply faulty then you might need to calibrate the throttle range. Most ESCs do this by positioning the throttle fully open before connecting the power - PROPELLER OFF - waiting for the beep sequence to stop and then close the throttle. Usually, a few more beeps will occur and the motor will then react to the throttle.

Yes that's right not all work that way. The Turnigy Trust range for instance, has an auto throttle range calibration that requires the throttle to be in the closed position .

Posted by vic.l on 08/12/2014 23:04:21:

Sorry I should have said in my post,servo's work fine on throttle channel.The esc only has a red light which when connected to other channels will flash then go steady when the stick's are moved,but on throttle it just flashes.I've tried calibrating,adjusting trim but it does not help.Other esc'c I have work without a problem.I've bound the receiver to a working model in the tx memory and still the same problem.

When the ESC is on another channel, you say the LED flashes and then goes steady. Does it go steady, only when you move the stick right to one end of travel? If so, this means it is "arming" once the channel gets to full throw.

It may be that to get the throttle channel to full (throttle off) throw, you need full throttle trim in that direction, and if that's not enough maybe you need to adjust the end point (or travel volume) too?

You say it works in the other channels. Plug into rudder, elevator or aileron channel with the stick central. Move the stick in one direction & check the direction of motor rotation. Then move the stick in the opposite direction & again check the motor. I've a feeling it will be in the opposite direction & that this ESC is intended for cars.

Posted by vic.l on 09/12/2014 00:52:40:

I've tried reverse no change.The motors are brushed type and the batteries are AA ni-cad's at 6 volt.I just don't understand why the esc work's on the other channel's,but not on the throttle.I admit that I'm not fully experienced with radio's like the dx9,I've played with different setting's in the tx menu but I'm not getting anywhere with it.

Thank's for the reply's

vic.

The Hobbyking 10A ESC is for brushless motors and simply will not drive a normal DC brushed motor correctly

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 09/12/2014 10:53:00

And at least one manufacturer, I think it was Kontronic, at one time produced an ESC, (for planes), that would drive a brushed or brushless motor, as I remember it just sensed which type you’d connected it to, two or three wires.

PB

PS Brushed motor also AC.

Edited By Peter Beeney on 09/12/2014 11:22:35

Hi,Thank's to all reply's.I've tried again this morning with various setting's/different model type's and I still can't get it to operate on the throttle channel.The last thing I tried was to reassign the rx port's to the following:

throttle to elevator

elevator to throttle

With esc connected to elevator,moving throttle stick operates esc.

With esc connected to throttle,moving elevator stick does not operate esc.

I have the throttle stick centered and the 2 receiver's I've tried are the orange r400 and 615.

Ok so you have tried two different receivers and the problem doesn't change - If true we can eliminate a RX fault

The ESC itself works on some channels but non on the throttle - so the ESC isn't dead

So we need to test the Throttle channel on the TX - if you hook up a servo to the RX Port assigned to the Throttle stick does the servo operate - If NO then there might be an issue with the Throttle Stick on the TX - Have you tested the TX against a working model that no changes have been made too?

Hi,All my model's are car's and truck's.The one I'm working on is a small scale excavator,which I was hoping to use esc's to control 6 functions.This esc is perfect as it is small and has reverse.

Dave,servo's work fine on the throttle and my other model's,although they use different esc's work.

Simon,My throttle is sprung to return to centre.I recalibrated the stick's yesterday.

Thank's vic

It's quite likely that the central throttle stick position isn't true neutral, I know that it wasn't in the only Spektrum Tx I had.
If this is the case the ESC may not be able to arm when switched on so you need to establish the neutral point of the stick. Since you know that the ESC will work with elevator channel it would be easiest to set a servo to neutral in that channel, mark the point exactly then plug the servo into the throttle channel. If it's off centre correct this with the trim button then check the ESC in the throttle channel.