Escale Seafire Help

Masher

Blimey, I envy you and your club! The power of multiple builds and interest

At my club: At the extreme end of the scale we have Brian Hutchinson in our club Eg Mosquito although it can't be flown from our strip and Brian doesn't fly anyway.

Apart from that we don't have any warbirds at the moment and the majority of models are electric foam and then there are a diminishing number of members who are builders! I think there are only about 5 of us who are IC. So for me, this and other forums are the only real way of getting advice and encouragement regarding warbirds/scale/IC. To make things even worse (or maybe not) the best flyers in our club fly mode 1 and I'm on 2 so I can't get any help regarding maiden flights!!!!!

Hey ho I'm glad not to be going with the flow. I have a similar tale of woe when it comes to improving my flying - if it wasn't for Peter Jenkin's articles I would be pretty much on my own.

PS I still really like my club though - great bunch just have different interest to me

Edited By Masher on 14/01/2015 16:09:37

Advert

We have a club of over 120 members. Last winter I suggested a group WWI build to remember the start of WWI. We had a few takers, and I have test flown an SE5a, Fokker DVIII, Nieuport 17 and a sopwith pup (from flair) all built that winter for the group build. There is still a Fokker DVII and EIII to come as well as my Pup. In fact the Fokker DVIII, again from flair, is being built by another of our junior members who is only 15. He has been at it over a year and I have been helping. He has done a massive amount of work himself and yesterday was given a lesson in how to solartex a wing. He did ok and is desperate to get the model in the air.

We are lucky in that we have no noise test, almost no limit to our flying hours and more than enough space for at least 80'' span warbirds (mostly mine). If you were more local I would invite you up for a go!

As for reducing numbers of builders, we had the same issue. But then I built my P40 and especially my Nieuport. There was a feeling that a WWI biplane was tricky and time consuming to build but mine went to from kitbox to sky in 3 weeks. Also being that it was an unusual subject it got people thinking, and the group build helps people motivate eachother as they chat and exchange stories of what part of themselves they glued to which part of the bench/model and how much the wife has complained about the dust. There is also the feeling of real achievement when you build a model yourself. One guy brought half is family to watch my maiden his SE5a. I did it as the chap in question said he knew he wasn't good enough to fly it before he built it, but loved seeing it in flight and I loved it as it was so nicely built.

Also the guy who built the flair pup cant fly and he asked me to fly it at a public show we did. there was a howling gale and he was astonished when I was forced to reverse up the runway using the wind as the engine got fed up and stopped at the far end of the field. Turning down wind was suicide so I had to reverse! So taken is he with this building lark he has embarked upon a 72'' Lysander of massive complexity, but he says he is enjoying it so its all good

Edited By Jon Harper on 14/01/2015 16:20:03

Edited By Jon Harper on 14/01/2015 16:27:53

Boooo foamys i know they have their place, but they are naff. I am very proud of my 80'' YT La7 as it, and its Laser 300v have successfully converted one of our members away from foamy electric warbirds and he now flys proper engine powered warbirds Including one of these Escale seafires

• 1 month later...

I note that this model is being offered with a discount at quite a few of the main model shops....I'm tempted by anything with a Spitfire connection but I am put off by the Seagull mechanical retracts based on previous experience.

Has anyone fitted electric retracts (E-Flite perhaps?) to this model and if so with what success?

Jon

Nothing wrong with foamies. If we all liked the same thing, it would be boring, and also they are good fun and a different aspect of the hobby.

Naff, they are not, and you don't have to have one, but I will fly a foam Habu then maybe the Seafire next, than a foam P-51 Mustang and a Hanger 9 120 sized Mustang next. Enjoy them all.

Posted by Jon Laughton on 12/03/2015 22:43:09:

I note that this model is being offered with a discount at quite a few of the main model shops....I'm tempted by anything with a Spitfire connection but I am put off by the Seagull mechanical retracts based on previous experience.

Has anyone fitted electric retracts (E-Flite perhaps?) to this model and if so with what success?

Jon

Hi Jon,

Yep dumped the kit version and dropped in 120 e-flites with ripmax oleos. Works a treat and looks good too. The only prob is the doors don't last very long

Andy