Lazy Bee alternative?

I dearly love my Lazy Bees, but I'm wondering if maybe there's something else I ought to have a go on. A glass of halfway-decent red and an hour on the internets last night got me nowhere, so does anybody please have any suggestions for the next build, given the following rather specific requirements?

1 Trad stick and film construction, wingspan no more than 48", wind retained by rubber bands, electric and three channels

2 I'm into slow, laid-back but accurate flying

3. I fly from a playing field which is only mowed for 6 months of the year, so the ability to land on that without nosing over every time would be a real plus.

4. Rather than buy (yet another) kit with mistakes in it, I'd prefer to build off plans

Advert

Hi Spikey,

Did you come across Derek Woodward's Very Short Plane, Here? If you Google it you should find some uTube videos of it in flight. I haven't built one yet but it is on my list - it shouldn't take long as it is mostly air! It's electric of course and you may be looking for something IC although not too difficult to fit a cox or small diesel I would think. There is a build article in EFI magazine March 2010. It's is still available as a back number - with the plan. The wood pack is available too but it is so simple it's not really necessary.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 16/12/2014 11:16:16

Little Bug kit from HK? I've seen one fly in our club and it is cute. Lazy flying for sure, but with the restrictions of a flying wing.

I also had a Speedy Bee many moons ago, I can certainly recommend that too!

speedy bee.jpg

Max.

Edit: oops, missed the 3 ch. AND the no kit requirements sad (But I am sure it will fly with a fixed rudder).

Edited By Max Z on 16/12/2014 11:59:09

Blimey chaps, thank you! I'm pretty much set now for an enjoyable evening in front of the fire with laptop and wine glass within easy reach, but further suggestions also appreciated

Ken, what's a JNR60?  Google's no help ...

Edited By Spikey on 16/12/2014 17:51:13

Sparky Plan from My Hobby Store.

Here is something not mentioned and may be of interest, it is a real blast from the past and was published in Aeromodeller September 1951
I have attached a link to the outerzone site where you can see the plan. If you scroll down there is an interesting 2 page article on the plane written by the designer a certain Mr Hundleby.
It shows pictures of the plane flying in the West Essex Gala and the 1951 Ripmax at Cranfield. Also there is a picture of the plane flying in winter when fitted with skis.
The folks at that time were made of the "right stuff" as he talks about flying the plane in 40 mph winds and doing vertical dives.
The plane was designed to fly "stunts" and was made strong enough to survive hard landings due to what he called "pilot trouble" aka pilot error.
All this on a single channel radio with a elastic escapement and state of the art X.F.G.I ECC receiver, whatever that was.
The plane was powered by a 1.5 cc Albon Javelin and has a 48 inch wing span. The plan on the outzone site has an error as it says the wing span is 40 inches.
I ordered a plan from My Hobby Store which has the correct specified wing span, and am on the process of building the plane.
As the plane is called Sparky I intend to use an electric motor with rudder and elevator control.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_files_02/2914/Sparky_done.pdf

I hope the link works if not perhaps Pete can sort it out

Barry