Prop balancing

trebor

I only usually bother balancing hubs on large diameter props 25-32" size and to do so I stick a piece of self adhesive velcro the fluff type as opposed to the hook and load that with requisite amount of cyno to be honest I seldom come across props with out of balance hubs these days

Hi,

Two things here Magnet ( the joinery company ) sell a ca and activator nice large amount for less than a tenner. It's medium to thick. Ask for Mitre joining adhesive. Well reccomended by several in my club.

Secondly how do I go about balancing a folding prop. Never done one, ta and a merry Christmas to all.

Glyn.

Posted by Glyn Calow on 21/12/2014 21:09:10:

Secondly how do I go about balancing a folding prop. Never done one, ta and a merry Christmas to all.

Glyn.

Rarely needed to balance, but if required I just use a balancer as shown in the photo and sand down the heavy blade. An alternative is to paint clear varnish / thin epoxy / cyano on the lighter blade.

I sand down because there is nothing to fly off or wear off later!

You can usually tighten up the blade hinge to stop them folding while balancing, but if not careful placing usually does the trick. If all else fails similar sized small pieces of sticky tape on the hub holds it straight and does the trick.

Dick

folding prop balancing.jpg

Thanks for the advise chaps, I got some activator in the form of a felt tip pen type. Works good with setting off thick glue. I've done 3 apc props and started on an alloy spinner. This was way out, balanced the back plate first then started the cone spinner. Would recommend checking every prop now before using them.

• 1 year later...