Unstable Plane With Camera on Top

Advert

Dunno but my guess would be the camera sticking up like that is going to cause a lot of drag as its acting as an airbreak (hence extra RPM) and the fact its off-centre may account for the poor handling, can you try it at least centred? The wont reduce the drag but it may help the controls to be a little more "normal"

If you have rudder and elevator only (can't see if you have ailerons) then the turbulence created by the big lump on top of the wing will leave the rudder in very disturbed air and that could also be affecting your elevator as well. Try streamlining the camera and if the lens allows lie it so that the long part is parallel to the airflow. That should help the rudder effectiveness as well as yaw stability.

I would agree with Peter that camera installation is very likely to create an aerodynamic disturbance effect on the tail much greater than the drag it causes.

It is important that the airflow is not disturbed on its way to the tail.

If you built your plane you must have the skills to build a removable aerodynamic 'hump' containing the camera. It can be held down by the wing retaining bands.

When I wanted a wing mounted camera to point vertically downwards it presented is biggest face directly to the airflow so I built this removable streamlined fairing that holds the camera.

Camera pod

Despite it significant frontal area as well as 5" off centre it made very little difference to the plane's handling.

I have had problems with a small camera mounted on the wing of a slope soarer (2.1 metre Solius). It was mounted 2/3 of the way along the wing on Velcro and I had flown several times in moderate winds without problem.

On a day with little wind - so little lift, immediately after launch from a cliff edge I was scratching to gain some height so flying ultra slowly. Suddenly the glider went into a spin towards to camera and was almost lost. After landing safely (just!) the model was inspected by 3 or 4 people but nothing was found. I relaunched and the same thing happened again and this time I was able to sort of land among the cars in the car park.

The camera was removed and all was well!. We decided that at very slow speeds the wing was on the point of stalling and the camera caused that side of the wing to go first which precipitated the spin.

The weight of the camera cannot be ignored although at 19g on a 1400g glider the weight effect, although assymetric would be small.

Peter

Edited By Grasshopper on 19/12/2014 08:47:55

Is holding the camera on with the wing bands the problem, is this allowing the wing to move in flight. I've flown with a GoPro mounted above the wing (on a larger plane) and apart from the drag increase not seen any problem.

If you want to hold it on with the wing bands I suggest you make a light ply plate which is held on by the wing bands and attach the camera to the plate.