sc46a Best fuel?

scott finnie

I'm wandering what is the best fuel for a brand new sc46a? Going to take a leap back into ic flying. I miss the smell and the noise, the thumbling with mixtures and the general delight of it all. I've a new trainer somewhere which I shall use. I've some old tornado fuel. But would rather treat it nicely,

Scott

Advert

Any well recognised fuel will do, 5% nitro no more any more is a waste of money, for no real performance, and go synthetic, as for that old chestnut of castor protecting against a lean hot run, please... Most mordern synthetic oils these days wipe the floor with castor at high temps and will protect your engine way better than castor, the only reason to use castor is the smell which is glorious!! I use Weston liquid gold 5% and have done for many years 2st and 4st

Posted by Lee Smalley on 24/12/2014 23:25:35:
Any well recognised fuel will do, 5% nitro no more any more is a waste of money, for no real performance, and go synthetic, as for that old chestnut of castor protecting against a lean hot run, please... Most mordern synthetic oils these days wipe the floor with castor at high temps and will protect your engine way better than castor, the only reason to use castor is the smell which is glorious!! I use Weston liquid gold 5% and have done for many years 2st and 4st

That's the one for me two thumbs up

Nowt wrong with that Percy, I think what you find is that people get settled on a fuel, and they tend to stick with it to save them re-tuning everything, personally it make me laugh when I hear of them spending nearly 20quid on a bottle of fuel, good fuel it may be, but 20quid holy moly, Weston UK 5% delivered to your door 45quid for 4 bottles, and its great stuff, many years ago when synthetic oils were starting out, they were not as good as they are now and some castor was left in as a safe guard nowadays it is not required synthetics really are that good, still its a personal choice, pick a good fuel, one you can easily get, and stick to it, again no real reason to use 10% nitro, but if it works don't fix it

Edited By Lee Smalley on 25/12/2014 22:33:56

Yeah I really liked southern MC fuel however getting hold of it is a pain in the butt, I easily go through 12 to 16 bottles of the stuff in a season and I ain't buying that much in one go, as for Weston not publishing the contents, I don't really give two hoots, better flyers than me use it on some very expensive engines so that's good enough for me, I also have Moki engines which will not run well on any nitro, that's even cheaper

Pro synth or model technics will do well. However I'm sure engines don't like swapping fuel for some reason. So if you find a reliable supply of either then stick with it.

I use Pro synth. Even though the oil content is not revealed by the company, I've never had a problem with it and there always seems a nice clean oily residue from the exhaust. It doesn't gum up the engine and (go on laugh if you must) when the engine is running correctly there is a sweet nutty smell to the smoke.

Posted by Percy Verance on 26/12/2014 09:48:49:

A bit too pricey for me Justin, but I'm a tight git. I even took the bulb out of our fridge to save electricity........

smiley

Yes I know what your saying Percy, I have to drive a fair old way to get mine now so am considering a move to Westons fuel as they will courier 4 one gallon bottles foc. 

Edited By Justin K. on 26/12/2014 10:04:13