Peterf's 1/4 scale Falcon Models Tiger Moth

A small update, the control tunnel is now glued into the fuselage framework and the servo mechanisms connected up. The third photo should show the aileron hook up in situ with the closer to scale like appearance than the plan, the new epoxy glass horn resembling (roughly) the actual aileron control arm in the scale location.

The one thing I thought about when setting up the servo controls was what position on the horn was required. Therefore, I took the throws on the plan for the 3 control surfaces, then using the control surface chords I back calculated how much throw was required at the epoxy glass control arms and hence the servo horn locations. I am hoping that when I finish the build I will not have to adjust anything in here.

Elevatordsc03010.jpg

Rudderdsc03011.jpg

Ailerondsc03014.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

With the control tunnel in place along with all servos I sheeted the cockpit floor, needing to make a cut out for the aileron control arm. Attention was then placed on the rear framework of the fuselage installing the formers to bring the side frames in. Before pulling in the side frames I made small cuts half way through the spruce longerons right behind the cockpit with the razor saw. This is to give a sharper bend than just pulling the longerons in, the slits were filled with epoxy before bending. The bottom cross braces were then installed, the lengths of balsa individually measured and cut based on the width at the top of the side frames.

The rear of the side frames is bought in at a tighter angle between the last former and the rear of the side frames as seen in the final 3 photos. There is a horizontal former, F10. As with the earlier bend in the longerons I cut half way through them with the razor saw to give a good bend and then packed the cuts with epoxy before pulling in. The side elevation plan has a different dimension in this area to the plan view and I know some other build logs have noted the hole in F10 being in the wrong place after the build. I chose to go with the side elevation and used the lower tail plane rib to set where the hole should be. This meant I had to cut 3mm off F10 to get the hole in the correct place. In retrospect I may have been better off leaving F10 its full length and moving the hole forward by 3mm by filling it with some dowel and re-drilling it. Anyways, it is all glued in now and will work regardless of the solution adopted.

A lot of care was taken during these parts of the build to make sure that the side frames remained vertical to the cockpit and on the centre line of the cockpit to make sure the plane built true, well worth the extra effort in the long run. I will also add some triangular balsa pieces at the bends where I cut through the longerons.

Cockpit floor sheeting completeddsc03062.jpg

Rear fuselage former fitteddsc03065.jpg

Lower cross braces being fitteddsc03068.jpg

Lower tail plane rib showing correct position of hole in F10dsc03076.jpg

Rear section of fuselage pulled in over F10dsc03074.jpg

Ron, yours is looking good (more than good). I am looking at G-ADGV, the plane was originally a Brooklands plane hence still in original livery. Also it was never fitted with the anti spin strikes making it a little different. I must check that the current owner is OK with it being copied.

112_2777w6+.jpg

Peter, ha oh dear, I didn't think to ask Ian Perry if he minded me copying his plane, but then Horizon Hobby do a horrible little copy. I was going to finish it then send him a photo and hoped he would approve ! The colour scheme on G-ADGY looks less fiddly which has been my biggest bugbear on G-AMNN. Your doing a good blog keep it up. I wonder how other people are getting on now that Chris Stewart is back on line.

The first thing after finishing the rear fuselage frame was to make up the aileron return arm that goes below the cockpit, I have pretty much made up my mind that I will also have the return wires as well as those connected to the aileron control arm.

The next stage is to sheet the turtle deck and other upper sections of the fuselage. The rear sheet is a little larger than required to allow for vagaries in the build, this needed a little trimming before attaching. It was then glued down along one edge and then when set pulled over with lots of masking tape and glued onto the formers and the second edge.

Before starting the front sheeting, the instructions remind you to attach the clevises for the cabane flying wires, remember this or you are in for some fiddly work afterwards. I would also recommend that the throttle servo is also installed before the sheeting. Oops, now I have some tight work as this is best positioned below the front sheeting. Some small framing pieces are then added inside the sheeting around the cockpit doors and this reveals that the fit of the sheeting is not perfect, other build logs have also shown the need to add some small filler pieces and trim other bits back to get the doors to fit.

Aileron return armdsc03082.jpg

Starting to sheet the turtle deckdsc03078.jpg

Completed sheeting the turtle deckdsc03080.jpg

Remember to install the clevises before sheeting the frontdsc03083.jpg

Front section sheeted before trimmingdsc03087.jpg

All sheeting completeddsc03086.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The next thing was to install the throttle servo that I should have done before sheeting the top of the cockpit. This turned out OK and gave me an excuse to trial fit the laser 150 that has been sat in its box for a while. I then moved on to building the cockpit doors, these are made from 2 laminations of 1/64" ply, curved to fit and glued together. Once dried they retain the curve of the cockpit really well. Bottom strips have been added from some light weight hard wood, which were sanded to a taper on the outside to line the door skins up properly. Then the top edges of the doors were added and the wires for fastening the doors shut as per plan. Finally, some small dolls house hinges off ebay were fitted using small csk machine screws and bolts. I used the pillar drill to make sure the holes were true, these are the only holes not pre-drilled in the fuselage frames. Prior to this model I have never had to put a whole airframe into the pillar drill before, quite a new experience. I also gave Tiger Terry from Jim Reeves a trial fit as well.

Throttle servo installed and Laser 150 trial fitteddsc03089.jpg

Cockpit doors being laminateddsc03090.jpg

Top and bottom strips added to doorsdsc03094.jpg

Fastening mechanism for the doorsdsc03099.jpg

Airframe in the pillar drill having the door hinge holes drilleddsc03101.jpg

Doors completed and closeddsc03102.jpg

Doors completed and opendsc03106.jpg

Tiger Terry makes his first inspectiondsc03092.jpg