The not sure what it is classic aerobat build blog

A short while back I acquired the model in the foreground and as yet have not been able to definitively identify it. However having now joined the UK Classic Aerobatic Association and a target of getting this model flying and competing at my first aerobatic comp since the Nats in 2000 I figured I better get a move on.

s1310020.jpg

The airframe is nice and true so no basic problems and really just needs gear installing and finishing off. First issue was choice of engine. Buried deep in my workshop was an old Enya 120 4 Stroke, it has not been used for at least ten years and was a bit gummed up but nothing that a quick squirt of WD40 could not resolve and other than in need of a clean looks like it should be up to the job. Now just to get it mounted, for the moment I am just going with a standard nylon mount, if I get hooked I can upgrade to a quiet mount in the future.

s1660001.jpg

First issue, the builder had installed captive nuts and the existing mount holes of course do not align with my new mount. Fortunately the bulkhead has centre lines already marked on it so not an issue to set a new mount but with the front end all built in nothing is easy to get at so only one option - out with the saw and cut the front of the cowl off in line with the front face of the firewall.

s1660005.jpg

That done the existing captive nuts were removed with a bolt and swift hit with a hammer to free them from the ply then the new mount could be located and temporarily fixed and check for alignment. I do this with a couple of thin self tapping screws. Tape the front cowl back in position and hey presto the engine is in the correct alignment but next issue is the mount is a little short and the prop boss does not clear the cowl. Couple of options here but I think I will go with adding a ply spacer behind the mount to bring the engine forward as this should be beneficial in locating the correct cg and give a little more space around the engine making things like throttle connection and servicing a little easier.

s1660007.jpg

A start at least has now been made. Linds

You might be right PV, in fact if I had dug around for long enough I probably have one or both tucked away somewhere from past use, however mount now in place since last post so for now at least I'll keep it simple with the bits I have to hand.

Pat, I know what you mean definitely a passing resemblance to the Arrow design, the fuselage has an aperture running back from the bulkhead but I think on the small side for a pipe. Incidentally the parts have printed numbers on the inside so I guess it at least started out as a kit. More than a hint of Lightning about the tail too but the airbrake flaps are more of an early eighties Hanno Prettner feature so it's all a bit mix and match but looks right and built true.

I'll need to did out an old set of retracts from somewhere as well, I have a set of 60 size Merati stored away I think which should be up to the job.

Linds

Hi Sam, I'm happy to go with that, at least when somebody asks I have something to say other than errrr not sure ?

Been a relaxing build really so far engine gone on easy now giving just a couple of mm clearance for a spinner and even got the throttle linkage sorted. happy days

s1670001.jpg

s1670003.jpg

I'll get a coat of resin on the bulkhead tomorrow and then get it all fixed properly and can then look at getting the fuel tank in and the start looking at the control surfaces. Linds

The design also has some Don Lowe Phoenix 9 or 10 overtones. But seeing it was likely built in the UK, it might be an English design rather than an American one.

The front top of the cowl looks like it could use a little diet, particularly with the 4-stroke which doesn't require much space under hood in that area. A flared spinner line would improve the looks considerably. Couldn't help commenting on it.

David

Hi David, I know what you mean with disrespecting the original designer, I don't think it will win any beauty contest, at least not just at the moment. I been getting the radio installed during the week, all a bit menial stuff but will update with photos soon. I hope to get a fresh face of primer down on her tomorrow and then can start thinking of colour schemes. Linds

Bit of installation work with the tail linkages first, golden rods were already installed but went for a closed loop on the rudder, all standard stuff really.

s1690002.jpg

Next some filling and sanding and time to get a coat of primer down on the airframe

s1700010.jpg

s1700011.jpg

Looks a bit smarter now I think. Elevator and rudder servo's gone in tonight together with the fuel tank so loads of progress today. Will get the throttle set up tomorrow and then probably turn my attention back to the wings.

Linds

• 3 months later...

Hi Tim, unfortunately will miss Greenacres this year as the later date clashes with the holiday we booked as leaving Sat 4th, very outside chance I get down Friday PM but as we are literally moving house the previous weekend it's all a bit hectic. Stephen, I remember the Jetta well, again there are similarities but I think at the end of the day this has a bit of home brew about it but the proportions and build are good. Percy DUO - I like it. Linds

Lindsay

As the original designer of the Lightning in the mid 1970's I would say the alleged "mystery model" is a Flair Super Lightning.

Flair did a few alterations to my basic design, one being to house a tuned pipe in the fuselage, hence the upright engine. The Flair version of Lightning also used a rolled ply fus instead of balsa sheet and block for the decking and canopy (too expensive). The tailplane originally had anhedral, unlike the Flair model. Wing and tailplane tips are slightly different.

As to the inspiration for Lightning, this came from the 1971 R/C World Championships in Doylestown where, before the competition started, we watched Tony Bonetti do a blistering demo flight with his Troublemaker, complete with unsilenced 60 up front. Brilliant ! I had to have something similar.

When I took the first Lightning to a competition its distinctive looks raised a few eyebrows.

When I flew it, it also raised some eyebrows !!smiley

David H

Edited By David Hardaker on 11/05/2015 13:53:29

Lindsay,

Very nice job you did here!

I like the nose details to blend the model into the nose cone (we call them spinners on this side of the pond). Did you route the 4-stroke exhaust through the pipe tunnel?

Looking forward to seeing her in some nice colours!

Stephen,

That Jetta must be a Curare/Tiporare knock off. Maybe a European glass/foam version from the 80's? It has very very similar lines to Hanno's well known model much like the Tiporare does (which is indeed a simplified redesign of the Curare)

David

Thanks for the kind words guys. David, I think the Lightening is what it is so that's what I am going with so good to know the original designer and I hope I do your design justice in the end David. Initially I will just run the standard exhaust pot off the engine to fresh air and we'll see how she goes. The next issue is the u/c, I have a set of mechanical retracts that will fit but she has been built with 2inch wheels in mind and with our strip that is not likely to work so well so I might plate these over and fit a fixed u/c instead that will be a little more user friendly. I am quite looking forward to flying a proper pattern ship again as last competitive flight was at the NATS in 2000 and not touched an F3A model since. Yikes 15 years ago! Linds