Warbird Replicas Spitfire LF mk IXc

Ady Hayward

While being held back from building I added some cockpit detail, applied the decals and got the pilot in his office and covered over with a canopy. The control surfaces were all hooked up and the RC gear installed. I was rather surprised to find that with the Lipo installed the C/G was about 25% of the root chord back from the leading edge which isn't too bad at all. Flying weight is now: Fuselage with 3300 4s Lipo: 1843g 4Lb 1oz, Wing: 883g 1Lb 15oz.

Total: 2726g/ 6lbs

The first pics are of the instrument panel made from ABS plastic and a bit of etching off the black paint. Although the decal supplied was more clear in the detail, the panel looked a little more war weary....(That's my excuse anyway). The pilot was supplied by Warbirds and painted by my Son Dominic who is quite adept with the paintbrush. (Please note the pilot used is not painted in the image of the then Sqn Ldr Gray).

img_2524 (copy).jpg

img_2527 (copy).jpg

sdc10389 (copy).jpg

sdc10392 (copy).jpg

sdc10394 (copy).jpg

sdc10413 (copy).jpg

sdc10417 (copy).jpg

sdc10418 (copy).jpg

Ady

Good news....She flies!!

I did the maiden today in less than ideal conditions. Wind from the West at 10-15mph gusting 20mph and some turbulence at low level. The flight went well but she seemed a tad tail heavy as she was a bit pitch sensitive. Stalls and spins were quite benign with swift recovery as soon as the sticks are released and she pulls enormous loops that look quite realistic. At 6lbs auw she is not a heavyweight either so will float on quite a bit as I found out with the landing which was not one of my best. A quick check after found the port U/C leg had twisted in the DSR so a bigger flat need filing on the leg. All in all a very successful maiden and a Spitfire that handles like a dream.....well chuffed.

The video is here:**LINK**

Ady

Hi Folks. Many thanks for the great comments. The Spitfire really was a nice flier and exactly what a newcomer to flying scale(Ish) warbirds needs. The decision to fly was based a little on having a decent headwind meant the plane would have a good margin over stall speed at takeoff and a suitably low groundspeed at landing.
I now believe the pitchiness was pilot induced given the throws used and the relatively light wing loading. C/G wise no problems as the initial power-off, then power-on stalls were quite normal and the later spin went very well so the C/G as stated in the instructions is safe.
My excuse of a landing was entirely my fault slowing it down too much. I had intended to do a wheelie landing, but as I pitched up after a bit of turbulence dropped the nose it slowed so I decided to try a 3 pointer and stalled it about 12" off the turf hence the wing drop. It still showed that the plane is very controllable though and quite forgiving of my mis-handling.

As for the colour scheme: I was given a challenge to find a scheme of an Aussie/ New Zealand Spitfire Ace that was not the typical D-Day/ RAF day fighter colours and this one just seemed right. I have a little Hurricane of some 32" wingspan also in desert scheme and found orientation much better than anticipated considering the rate it passes through the airspace so the choice was made.

Adrian

Edited By Ady Hayward on 19/06/2015 19:59:05

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi David Barker 2,

The drawings show a OS 52 Four Stroke which was the engine of choice for the prototype of this kit and Richard Wills has said that it flew very nicely with this powerplant so that should be a good starting point. The model is around the 6lbs mark so should not need anything bigger unless the tail end has got a bit extra weight in it during the build.

Adrian

• 1 month later...

Hi Adrian.

I hope you are still enjoying flying your Spitty.

I and building the Cambrian models version - same size as yours.

I am at the painting stage and, as yourself, it is the first time using an airbrush. How did you set about painting the camo pattern - did you do it freehand or mask it off? If you masked, did you somehow raise the mask to get a diffused edge?

Many thanks.

Geoff...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Geoff, Please accept my humble apologies for the delay in replying. I was admitted into hospital for surgery to remove an ulcer from my leg but some complications have left me still interred without a laptop until a day or two ago.

This was also the first aircraft that I have used an airbrush to completely paint the airframe as previously I used rattle cans and the airbrush to tidy up the edges. My masks were pieces of A4 paper torn to represent the basic shape and packed off the surface by slivers of folded paper slipped underneath. This gave the basic feathered edges but is rather time consuming and sometimes extremely frustrating. I did find that after a little practice I was able to get a decent edge freehand, and in the case of an error I could use the alternate colour to reset the area or re-define the edge. The really big advantage of the airbush is cost of paint in that the Spitfire could take up to 6-8 rattle cans of primer and colour whereas the airbrush took a similar number of 18g pots of Humbrol acrylic at 1/3 the cost or less plus I had far better control of the paint application. Obviously what I have described relates to the pigment, and to that the fuel proofer/ varnish of choice is to be applied over all to protect the finish. In my case it was clear silk water based quick dry varnish.

Best regards

Adrian

I would definitely say give the airbrush a go as the feeling of accomplishment of a decent job is much the same as seeing the first maiden.

• 1 month later...

Dave,

Sorry for the delay. I've been under the weather and away from the computer for a while. I dis suffer the same issue with holding the legs straight but got over it by filing flats on the U/C legs and using flat nosed grub screws to secure the legs. If points are used they soon wear a little and allow free play and a worsening situation. I also used Loctite 222 or screwlock to secure the grub screws and have had no issues since.

Best regards

Adrian

• 2 months later...
Evening all,

I'm new to the forum, posting wise anyway.

I've been building a Warbird's Spitfire since may with a couple of different takes on it from Adrian. I also intend to go to town on scale with panel lines and rivets so thought I'd leave a bit of a record.

Before I do I'd like to say thank you to Adrian. His build was one of the reasons I went for this kit in particular.

Secondly it's only right to support what has been said already. This is a first class kit in design, manufacture and most importantly the best customer support I've ever come across in any trade.

Cheers,
Barney

Hi Barney and welcome to the forum. Thank you for the kind words and I'm very glad that you have chosen to build this great model. It has a good wing loading so has scope for the addition of detail without compromising the handling to any degree. Please don't forget to add pictures as you go as detailing is a black art to many and any inspiration is always welcome. Best regards Adrian

Thanks for the welcome Adrian.

I'm still trying to find the majority of the photos I took during the build to show how I went about a couple of things but in the meantime here are a couple of photos of a new product from Warbird Replicas. One of the only things I wasn't keen on in the kit was the exhaust stubs which were a bit too block like for my taste. I was going to make a set but spotted these as a new item and took the plunge:

20160124_182054_001_resized_1.jpg

A set of 3D printed exhausts at a bargain price. The finish is as you would expect for a printed item but they shouldn't take much sanding to smooth out.

20160124_182326_resized (1).jpg

What I particularly like is that they are hollow so look right from any angle, if nothing else they have saved me a lot of time and frankly I doubt I would have managed 12 uniform stubs this side of 2017!

20160124_182108_resized.jpg

I'm currently debating whether or not to separate them from the backing piece but either way they'll be smoothed down and mounted on a shallow balsa box inside the cowl so that when they are glued in place there is some depth behind them.

I'll try to post updates on a reasonable basis although work keeps getting in my way!

Cheers,

Barney