Warbird Replicas Spitfire LF mk IXc

Ady Hayward

A very timely bit of information - after 6 months sitting on top of the wardrobe (the Spitfire not me!) I have just taken it down and started on the winter building season.

A couple of weeks work has seen it glass/epoxy covered (added 5oz) and am now in the process of primering and rubbing down. Looking forward to fitting out the cockpits, and hope to be flying in the Spring.

Dick

progress march 18.jpgprogress november - glassing.jpg

Advert

Posted by Ace on 26/11/2018 16:10:44:

DickW -...., nice wing seat joint.

That is mostly down to the quality of the Warbird Relicas kit - I just assembled the bits.

I must say it has been a pleasure to build, and would have been in the air this year if I hadn't decided to modify it to the 2 seater.

Dick

• 2 months later...

Afternoon All,

First off, big thanks to Ady and other builders on this thread - your expertise and willingness to share your knowledge on this forum has been invaluable to me as I plod through my build of the WR Spitfire.

I have a fairly basic question - how has everybody attached the rear control surfaces to the inner snakes? I guess I could run the inner snake right up to the control horn but this seems to leave a lot of the flexible inner snake out of the fuselage and therefore unsupported by the outer snake. I can't quite see how others have dealt with this from trawling the pictures on here.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Rob

Hi Rob

By coincidence I have just been sorting out the linkages on my own WR Spitfire. The attached photo shows how I did it and it seems to work OK freely, firmly, and with correct throws. As you can see I extended the "outer" part way to the horn.

Just need to finish tidying it up before starting the final paint job.

Dick

tail linkage.jpg

Hi Dick,

Many thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I have diligently followed the kit instructions and the snake outer is now flush with the fuselage skin (see pic if I can attach it).

Not sure it would now be possible to extend the outer snake now in a way that would truly provide any strength and avoid fouling the inside with glue?

Rob

I've always ended the outer flush to the fuselage side for neatness if nothing else. I then cut the inner not much longer and thread the connecting wire into it which then runs up to the clevis on the control horn. This is naturally rigid and as the snake is fairly straight inside that section of the fuselage the wire can travel back into the outer if needed.

Edited By Barney Corn 1 on 01/02/2019 17:17:03

Posted by Barney Corn 1 on 01/02/2019 17:16:37:
I've always ended the outer flush to the fuselage side for neatness if nothing else. I then cut the inner not much longer and thread the connecting wire into it which then runs up to the clevis on the control horn. This is naturally rigid and as the snake is fairly straight inside that section of the fuselage the wire can travel back into the outer if needed.

Edited By Barney Corn 1 on 01/02/2019 17:17:03

+1 for this method

You can buy short sections, 6 inches I seem to remember, of 2mm threaded rod. Wind that into the yellow inner so its well into the fuselage, just leaving a short section to screw the clevis onto. That will support the yellow snake internally making it stronger. I seem to remember they were expensive, about £2 each but you only need one. Two if the rudder is the same.

Hi Robert,

Some guys at eBay need to make a quick and easy profit, I guess.

Please look at some 2mm carbon steel threaded rod here at Banggood with a length of 250mm at the democratic price of € 1,65... but of course you'll need a bit of patience for the 'slow boat' to cross the big pond... wink

Cheers

Chris

You could slide a piece of the original blue outer over the exposed yellow to support it. But this time you'd have to support this 'extra' piece of outer as it's receiving no support itself. That would mean glueing a long triangular fillet between the outer and the fuselage. From the side you'd hardly notice it and once in the air it would be impossible to spot.

Of the two methods I'd prefer the long threaded steel insert into the middle of the yellow inner. The whole snake run looks nice and straight so the longest piece that will fit without causing fouling would be best. Use a power drill to grip the threaded rod to wind it in, the friction makes it hard to accomplish by hand.

I hope this helps.

• 1 month later...