Warbird Replicas Spitfire LF mk IXc

Ady Hayward

Advert

Posted by RICHARD WILLS on 25/03/2019 14:16:22:

I dont use a 2 blade on those motors as there are some nice 3 blade props like the Dynam 13x7 available .

With a typical 580-600kv motor on 4s you will need 8inch pitch , so a 13x8 will be a good starting point .

Good luck

Richard

Thanks thumbs up

I am please that this thread has resurfaced as I have just got my Spitfire about ready for our clubs pre-season static show.

I am not really a scale modeller so this was sort of a new venture for me. Add in the fact that I converted the kit into a two seater means I certainly jumped in the deep end. It is by no means perfect, but I am reasonably please with the result. I might do a bit of weathering to improve the appearance if it survives the maiden flight, but that could be a week or two away while I summon up my courage!

It weighs in at 2795gm (6lb 3 oz) ready to fly with a 3700 4s Lipo installed. A bit heavy perhaps, but that has been affected by the modifications to two cockpits and pilots,and my decision to install twin elevator servos (had a couple of servos fail recently). It also has telemetry sensors installed which obviously adds a few grams.

I have to say thank you to Richard for an excellent kit that made my job a lot easier than it could have been for a newby to scale.

Dick

more progress.jpggeneral view.jpgunder side.jpgcockpits.jpg

Dick , that is really lovely . I went to Duxford last week with Phill my kit cutter and we watched their two seat Spitfire doing a continual bout of 20 minute pleasure flights . I guess the windy weather the previous week had caused a back log .

With that image in mind ,I think you have very nicely captured the look . Your additional cockpit looks very crisp too .

I think we would all be interested to hear a little more about the mods you made . I for one wouldnt mind a few low angle pictures of the model as if you were about to get in . On short grass or tarmac if poss.

The weight is fine by the way , anywhere around the 6lb is normal . Just check C of G and let it get plenty of air speed into to wind before the off.

Thanks for making such a nice job of it .

Richard

Posted by RICHARD WILLS on 26/03/2019 17:25:07:.....

I think we would all be interested to hear a little more about the mods you made . I for one wouldnt mind a few low angle pictures of the model as if you were about to get in . On short grass or tarmac if poss.

.............Richard

Hi all. Thanks for the nice comments - it is largely down to the information and enthusiasm of everyone else who has posted on this and other build blogs that I have managed to complete the project.

Richard - I will try and get some photos of that type over the next week and add them, and some details of the mods., to this thread.

Dick

• 2 weeks later...

MJ627 had its maiden flight yesterday, and an excellent video put together by clubmate Chris can be found here - thanks Chris.

At our club we have a system of inspecting new models before they are flown to ensure safety and noise compliance, and very useful a second set of eyes looking over a model has been, so getting it checked out and range tested was the first task – thanks Martin.

Next was the photo opportunity, before I tried to break it, after which I changed from the lovely 4 bladed Biela prop to an APC 14x8.5 and proceeded to check out the ground handling.

I fitted a castoring tailwheel as it seemed like a good idea at the time, since then I have heard lots of horror stories about them. It certainly made manoeuvring on the ground easy, but trial take off runs proved hilarious. Thankfully I had fitted a gyro assisted receiver and once I had selected Heading Hold and cranked up the rudder gain the take of runs started to look possible even in a crosswind. So, I fitted a fresh battery and tried to calm my nerves.

I elected to do a crosswind take off and landing because the into wind runway would have had me trying to land down-hill out of the sun, and I didn’t fancy that. The take off actually went smoothly and it lifted off after a reasonably short run. I don’t like flying with a heading hold gyro as it seems like a fight between me and it, so the first half a minute or so was a bit jerky until I remembered to switch back to normal damping mode gyro.

The rest of the flight went OK with trimming out both "UC down" and "UC up" flight modes, checking the stall, and generally getting used to flying a different type of model to the ones I am used to – e.g. there were some comments from the inevitable audience that the rolls were a bit faster than normal with a Spitfire!

A few trial landing approaches from opposite directions (crosswind remember) showed that it didn’t want to come down in our field without a headwind to slow it down. I eventually settled for an approach that would let me turn left into wind if I couldn’t get it down on the first runway. The landing didn’t seem all that hard but the UC will soon be re-fitted (I will cover that bit in a separate post).

The flight time was about 7 minutes and telemetry revealed I only used 1520mAh out of the 3700 mAh battery, with a peak power 530 watts. I learned a lot in that one flight and am really happy.

Low level photos as requested by Richard.

Dick

dsc_0581.jpgdsc_0584.jpg

Maiden flight yesterday, and very pleased with it, but ……….. the landing

On touchdown I ripped the RH undercarriage leg and half its mounting plate out of the wing. You can see it exiting under the LH side of the fuselage in the attached photo.

The inquest shows that I might have been a bit too light with the glue in that area, as the landing wasn’t THAT bad, although there might have been a bit of yaw at touchdown.

I have already “dry fitted” the UC back in the wing (see photo) and everything still lines up and works OK, so an easy repair.

Dick

lost uc.jpgfits back ok.jpg

Well done Dick , and many thanks for the super photos , I even liked the landing one !

The plate pulling out at the front can simply be down to glue as you say , but there is tremendous shock force on that joint when it hits a bump. However i have found that wrapping a little brown paper or even better glass cloth over the front edge of the plate and onto the rest of the wing stops the issue dead.

If you think of gluing glass tape or brown paper over the edge of a cardboard box edge ,you can imagine how it stops somebody ripping the lid open,

I think that for such a beautiful model, when nerves must have been pretty stretched , you did really well . Next flight you can spend a bit of time investigating the slow speed characteristics mid flight (at height) until you feel confident to slow the spit down more on approach .

A well trimmed one will fly slowly into wind without dropping a wing since the wing sections and washout are very effective , Practice slow flying at high level is the way forward because i would never attempt to land one crosswind , so if you know you can land short into wind , you can always make a better job of it .

I liked the way you used a two blade prop for the test flight too. Just go easy with the throttle when you fit the bigger prop as torque becomes very apparent . I ease on the power and never let it swing left ,

I have to say that there is a factor here worth mentioning . Lets call it the "Pee Factor "disgust. People who buy an ARTF Mustang or Spitfire bolt the wings on and fly it . They do not put any of themselves into it , it does not represent them in any way , no more than next door's dog or son .

Consequently the test flight result is normally signified by a non commital shrug of the shoulders, whether it went well or not .

So I say , well done Dick and anyone else who is brave enough !

Richard

Posted by RICHARD WILLS on 13/04/2019 10:03:11:

The plate pulling out at the front can simply be down to glue as you say , but there is tremendous shock force on that joint when it hits a bump. However i have found that wrapping a little brown paper or even better glass cloth over the front edge of the plate and onto the rest of the wing stops the issue dead.

I think that for such a beautiful model, when nerves must have been pretty stretched , you did really well . Next flight you can spend a bit of time investigating the slow speed characteristics mid flight (at height) until you feel confident to slow the spit down more on approach .

I liked the way you used a two blade prop for the test flight too. Just go easy with the throttle when you fit the bigger prop as torque becomes very apparent . I ease on the power and never let it swing left ,

Richard

Hi Richard

Thanks for the sugestion for the UC plate repair, I will,definitely try to get some glass cloth in there during the repair.

Slowing it down and low speed handling is something I can work on more in the next flights. My checks of the stall charactersistics during the maiden showed it is very gentle with the nose just dipping slowly straight ahead, and I have already had comments on how stable it looked in my low and slow final turn into wind for the touchdown.

The 14x8.5 APC two blade prop was fitted to avoid damage to the (expensive) four blade during initial testing and flying, but it certainly flies well on that. Now I know the rate of consumption from that first flight (1520 mAh out of a 3700 for a 7 min flight) it seems I will have plenty of time to practice landing approaches on the next test flight. Most of the flight was on 250 watts or less - not bad for a 6lb plane.

Dick

watts mah maiden flight.jpg

I like the on board monitor Dick , we used them a lot when we started electrifying the fleet . Its fascinating how the power from some Motor/prop combinations can be so efficient and others so awful!

When I wrote my comments above they were based on your still pictures and your description of events .

I completely missed the video blush What a wally . Anyway , now Ive seen the rather excellent video , I have to say that I dont think you could have done a better job on the test flight . Your Spitfire flies very slowly and the landing was a peach considering it was your first and on a curve . That plate should have stayed in as there was absolutely nothing wrong with the landing , I do think a change of glue and a small wrap of something around the front of the plate will secure the plate for good . Fantastic job Dick, (and Chris ) .

It will be interesting to see how the four blade prop changes the performance and current consumption , once you've got a few more flights under your belt on the cheap prop .

Richard

• 3 months later...

Hi Dick,

Just caught up with the thread again and Wow!. I love the choice of subject and so well done too. Just shows what can be done with time, effort and a good model. Its a shame about the u/c mounting, but it looks like it went back in very nicely and would be taking to the air again in a short time. I'm sure that by now there will be a good few more flights under the belt and appreciating the handling qualities of Richard's designs. It is the sweetest handling Spitfire I have owned (Out of 7 built) and with the fewest vices, though if provoked will bite but recovers well if correct handling is carried out.

Please post more pics if available.

Ady

• 5 weeks later...

92.jpg6.jpg53.jpg51.jpg5.jpg48.jpg45.jpg35.jpg32.jpg20.jpg18.jpga.jpgOur friend Mike Hammersley has built one of Richards Spits and today it had it's maiden. Not surprisingly with Mike's high standard of craftmanship and Richard at the controls it was a flawless and well behaved first flight. I did the hard stuff and took the pictures.b.jpg16.jpg

Lovely looking model, envious of the skills to build it! I confine myself to building sports models, and buy the more complex ones as ARTFs I'm afraid. I have the Avios MkV, which is probably quite similar in size at 1450mm. That also weighs 6lb, and I find that the scale 80 degree split flaps help massively with the landing. If this design caters for them, I recommend they are fitted and used.

• 6 months later...
Posted by Trevor Crook on 10/09/2019 17:29:14:

Lovely looking model, envious of the skills to build it! I confine myself to building sports models, and buy the more complex ones as ARTFs I'm afraid. I have the Avios MkV, which is probably quite similar in size at 1450mm. That also weighs 6lb, and I find that the scale 80 degree split flaps help massively with the landing. If this design caters for them, I recommend they are fitted and used.

you should try one at least in your life .the kits are really straight forward in real terms  , not flown mine yet but ive had spitfire , p40 ,p47.,la7 from many years ago & all flew great , got the ju88 to finish (cosmetic ) & fly , always wanted the P51b but missed that boat

andy

Edited By andrew exton on 10/04/2020 08:23:53

Edited By andrew exton on 10/04/2020 08:24:38