Warbird Replicas Spitfire LF mk IXc

Ady Hayward

Given the weather I'm not keen on the shed but I have been making a bit of progress on the pilot.

He was supplied by Warbirds with the bust being a good quality cast which is glued to a vac formed base.

20160110_161636_resized.jpg

Since the pilot can only be seen from above I don't think the join is very important, however the fact he looks like he's wearing a skirt and has hi hands in his lap isn't quite the look!

First step was to give him a pair of legs which I started by cutting a slit in the middle, be warned, it's brittle stuff as you can tell from the crack, don't panic though as it won't be visible.

20160126_191148_resized.jpg

I then cut a couple of wedges from 1/8" balsa and pinched the moulding around them with a bit of cyano to hold them in place.

20160126_191911_resized.jpg

The result is a bit rough and ready but from above does the job given that the view will be very restricted.

20160126_192152_resized.jpg

The next stage was to give him a joystick which was made from a bent bit of sprue from an Airfix kit, in this case the 1/48 Spitfire I've bought as a guide to detailing the model.

20160126_192145_resized (1).jpg

I then drilled two holes in the moulding that seemed to correspond with where the hands would grip.

20160126_192412_resized.jpg

Into these were glued the bent sprue with a couple of small offcuts to simulate the firing button, I went for the round version for ease although there is also a square holder with a switch, both seem to have been used on the IX so it's a free choice.

20160126_194014_resized.jpg

A straight section of sprue glued between his legs and there's a reasonable impression of the control column when viewed from above, plenty good enough for the scale I think.

20160126_194734_resized.jpg

Now just to finish off the painting then dry brush and dark washes for a bit of life, unfortunately my hands shake so the fine detail is a bit tricky (or impossible as the case may be)!

Cheers,

Barney

• 1 month later...

There were at least 2 Spits captured and made flyable again for the "Zirkus Rosarius" (a luftwaffe test unit) that apparently also toured with the captured aircraft to give familiarisation training to combat Staffels - so the example that was forced down in Jersey might well have needed a new engine to restore it to flying condition for demo purposes.

Interesting link - **LINK**

• 2 weeks later...
My build will progress as the evenings draw out. In the meantime I've started building a West wings sea fury for conversion to miniature rc. I bought an ele mini stick from BBC last year which is lovely to fly so thought why not build another little aeroplane. Mostly it's the boyhood dream of being able to control a free flight model! I'll start a build thread shortly.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Adrian,
I chose the Fury largely thanks to the big round nose, makes fitting an outrunner nice and easy.

I'll get a build thread up and running in the next couple of days. Bit belated as I got carried away with building it! At the moment I've largely completed the fuselage and wings so I'll be moving onto the control runs which will slow things a tad.

I have a small bag of all the rc bits thanks to BRC which helps spur me on.

Cheers
Barney.

In case anyone is interested in the smaller side of the hobby I've started a thread on the Sea Fury which may be found at http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=116706

I've also made some progress on the Spitfire with some more rubbing down of the final areas so I'll post some photos of that in the near future.

Cheers,

Barney

• 9 months later...

Hi Adrian

Thanks not too long. Just getting the balance right. Had a weight machined to fit onto the prop and needs adjustment, more machining yet.

I spent Tuesday Morning at Richards for coffee and a chat.

Had a look at his prototype Spitfire and he gave me a lot of tips on finishing line detailing etc. A very clever guy.

He asked me to post on the battery cover as he was impressed on how well it held and fitted.

Had to post under those circumstances!

I will keep you informed when I do.

Needs to be soonish as I have been bewitched by the BF110 so I'm in the list for that release.

He told me of your delight with the JU88 so just had to jump on board.

Regards

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Opinion's please..

After visiting Richard and getting his master class on panelling. Using black on light and white on dark I made a mistake and know make lots of mistakes... I accidently put white under black and the panels now come alive.

I use black first then on the horizontals put white underneath then behind on the verticals.

the results..

before

20170206_192005.jpg

and after

20170206_191955.jpg

Well I like it cheeky