Tyro major

Henry

Hi guys I thought I would post the progress on my tyro major I've been building for a few months. It's my first build so any constructive comments are welcome! I acquired a print out of tatty looking original db tyro 54" plans and thought it would make a good little project. It has been a bit of a learning curve And I've enjoyed building it a lot . Here's some piccys

Advert

The Tyro Major was my first R/C model, a little over 40 years ago now... That was built from the plan too - I'd done a fair bit of control-line flying before that. Nylon-covered and powered by an Enya 19, it survived my best attempts to kill it whilst I learnt to fly, and was passed on to another beginner.

Looking forward to seeing Henry's pics!

When I came back to the hobby about 10 yrs. ago this is what I built .however I could not cope with a tail dragger then , as I was teaching myself. Too much elevator with dire results .My fault and inexperience , nothing wrong with the design so I opted for the trike version .I was so naïve that I controlled the rudder with the rudder stick on the tx. not the aileron stick.I eventually found that as a primary control I should allocate the rudder to the aileron stick for a three channel plane .It did me no harm and on an occasion when I lost aileron control on another model I was fully at ease bringing it home using the rudder .

Don't try fast multiple loops with it though ,the wing can't take it ,don't ask how I know! !

In total I built three of them .

It was powered by a thunder tiger 25 .and covered in Solarfilm .

Best of luck you'll enjoy it .

wings are angled properly and balanced, i have got 1 more piece to cover and then i will look at tuning the engine and setting up radio gear

kc. i bought those they were brilliant, the man from db was very help full! saved me lots of time!

keith cheers for the heads up!

i have got 2 different engines i could stick in here 1 is an os max 35 fp? and the other i will have to dig out at the weekend and look at the name, what do people make of the os max 35? i have heard mixed reviews?!?

Well it's the first time I've tried it with Photobucket. But following your link I went to the Photobucket album. On that page there's a section at the right headed "Share Links", I clicked on the "Story Embed" one, whereupon it said "copied"

Next I came here, clicked on the button obove the posting box next to the youtube one (it's called Embed Media when you hover over it). In the box that appeared I pasted what had been copied from photobucket. (To paste, "Right click" in the box and then click "Paste".

Hello Henry,

I don't want to appear a smarty pants, and I hate it when people do this to me after the event, but I thought I'd say that the build instructions are still available from DB Sport and Scale which recommends that the fuselage sides are built as in the photo below. The Major is a tough as old boots though, so I'm sure yours will be fine

tyro major.jpg

It is normal to build the square reinforcements onto the side sheets as the photo shows.and this applies to all other models with similar sheet sided construction. It's much easier and probably a bit stronger as every component is glued firmly to the sheet sides and only bent into the tail when complete and glue is dry.

The OS 40 FP is not a powerful high revving motor but it will turn a large prop.  If you look at engine tests when it was first made the results on an 11 x7 were almost the same revs as a 10 x6.    So an 11 x 7 is the right prop to use ( dont believe the 'experts' who say you must use a 10 x6 )   Probably similar with the OS35FP so maybe an 11 x 6 would be a good prop.

Edited By kc on 21/01/2015 12:28:03

Hi dai and kc.

I found that picky on the net after I started building it, next time I will do it like that, it all seems to be in line and all so hopefully it will be ok, if it's anything like the other planes I've had it probably won't last long and I will have to rebuild it embarrassedcrying

Cheers kc the prop was 1 of the things I was going 2 ask about!

The other thing I was going to ask is on the plans the engine mounting plate is cut so the engine is mounted at a angle, I purchased a part from db for this, it's cut out of some synthetic wood stuff but the part where the engine goes isn't cut out,do you know the reason for this angle ? Cheers guys!