BMFA members insurance + achievements

Just got my first lot of memberships back....last year some lads had got it into their heads if it did not show their instructor status on their BMFA certificate...they would not be covered if instructingcrook

So this year I send my form in with all the instructors on AGAIN, plus their details, what a surprise it's not been done again.

Lets do it all online and save on paperwork.....hows about actually reading the forms I send back, that'll save on paperwork and save me getting the hump.

John DN2...grumpy dept

Advert

John, looking online, it shows our examiners were 'confirmed' (all just renewals from the previous years) on 10 March, and instructors 'confirmed' on 13 March. So I guess the green and purple examiner and instructor ratification forms get put aside for the moment (whilst they're busy with membership renewals) and are dealt with in March when things get a bit quieter. Though that doesn't explain why it didn't get put on their card last year...

I don't like moaning about shops or BMFA on forums John, but this is the 3rd year running and to do it later means issuing new certificates with updates on....at a cost ? it took me 11 months to get them to change our Secretarys details, the previous one had left the club, I wrote 3 times, phoned repeatedly and they still sent him the memberships even though it had my name and address on the forms.

John

John, did they appear, pre-entered, on the green and purple forms that came with your 2015 renewal pack? Is it just the membership card that the qualifications don't appear on?

I think I'd be inclined to give them a call - maybe wait a few weeks until they're less busy with renewals. Any issues I've had (and they've usually been due to me needing to do something a bit 'odd'!) have usually been sorted out fairly quickly by Julie or Helen or one of the others in the office.

Or alternatively add them in as instructors online...

Posted by john stones 1 on 24/01/2015 01:04:10:

Just got my first lot of memberships back....last year some lads had got it into their heads if it did not show their instructor status on their BMFA certificate...they would not be covered if instructingcrook

So this year I send my form in with all the instructors on AGAIN, plus their details, what a surprise it's not been done again.

Lets do it all online and save on paperwork.....hows about actually reading the forms I send back, that'll save on paperwork and save me getting the hump.

John DN2...grumpy dept

John - I hope you put them right on the insurance aspect - we don't want another urban myth doing the rounds!

From the handbook:

Flying Training Cover
The BMFA insurance policy contains indemnity cover for any member who accepts a fee for the teaching of R/C flying. This cover is only available for instruction carried out in the environment of a BMFA affiliated club and not in a commercial organisation.

No mention of any qualifications there...and that's if it's paid instructiion!

Basically, any recognised / authorised activity of the BMFA is covered and there is no BMFA requirement to have any certification for instructing. The club instructor "rating" was simply introduced "to give recognition to the many hundreds of dedicated club flyers who give freely of their time to instruct newcomers to model flying but who do not wish to take the step of becoming BMFA Approved Instructors." It's the Approved Instructors who need to maintain their membership in order to retain their ratings, Bert.

Edited By Martin Harris on 24/01/2015 18:38:21