Wiggo

Max Z

I don't know about you guys, but my Wiggo has no stall misbehaviour at all. With full up elevator she just floats down.

Great party trick at the field. Slowly overfly your landing spot, while pointed into the wind. Slowly cut throttle, and she gently floats in reverse. Juggle the throttle very gently to control descend and position, and she'll kiss the ground at your feet...

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently building my Wiggo and note from the build article that it was necessary to bend the undercarriage forward a little to prevent the prop touching the ground.

I'm building mine from the RBC kit with a pre-bent U/C wires. It would be easier to bend these forward during building and I wonder if other owners have found this necessary?

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers
David

I am not sure what the tailwheel is like in the RBCkits kit, but the original one that I drafted on the free plan is quite springy, and I found that it had a tendency to kick up the tail resulting in the prop striking the ground. It happened mainly when taxiing slowly, as soon as I accelerated the prop blast over the elevator would push the tail down again.

It got a bit annoying, so I cured it by indeed bending the main L/G legs slightly forward.

• 3 years later...

Finished this during our NZ lock-down. Looking at the dates I'm a bit of a late starter on this but I enjoyed building it. Colour and pilot were chosen for the granddaughters. The fluoro pink is brighter than the picture suggests. Looking forward to being able to get out and fly it. Taxied no problems down our cul de sac and back.20200502_124528.jpg

Congrats, well done Nigel!

I have a soft spot for NZ, having enjoyed life out there living in Whangarei for a few years back in the 1980's. And flying models with my friends from the WMAC. Shame that it is so far away from here, I would like to visit it more often. Last time was 2013.

Cheers,

Max.

Thanks Max. Hopefully when things settle down you might get another chance to come back over.. Model flying seems in good spirits over here. I'm at the other end of the Country down here in Christchurch but we don't do too bad. Hoping the end of lock down will coincide with some crisp calm winter mornings.

Stay safe and all the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Shaun,

This is what I wrote in my original construction article:

I’m happy flying my Wiggo with a 9x6 prop on a 1000Kv brushless outrunner. The ensemble pulls about 25 amps static using a 2200mAh 3S Li-Po battery, so aim for about 300 watts of power and an ESC to match.

Your motor-esc combo seems to fit that bill just fine, go for a 8x6 or 9x6 prop.

Enjoy your build,

Max.

Posted by Max Z on 13/05/2020 13:10:02:

Hi Shaun,

This is what I wrote in my original construction article:

I’m happy flying my Wiggo with a 9x6 prop on a 1000Kv brushless outrunner. The ensemble pulls about 25 amps static using a 2200mAh 3S Li-Po battery, so aim for about 300 watts of power and an ESC to match.

Your motor-esc combo seems to fit that bill just fine, go for a 8x6 or 9x6 prop.

Enjoy your build,

Max.

Hi Max

Thanks for the quick reply.

Shaun