Wiggo

Max Z

After establishing the battery position to get the CofG in the right spot, I stuffed a piece of polystyrene foam underneath the wing to act as a stop to mount it in that position every time. I used a couple of packing foam wedges (seemed appropriate wink) to create a home for the battery. I then jam a piece of semi-flexible foam between wing and battery to fix it in position. I am not too worried about fixing the esc to the fuselage, it usually floats somewhere between firewall and battery.

I don't recommend using velcro to fix the battery since it will be really difficult to remove it from underneath the wing.

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 30/12/2015 21:42:07

Advert

The scheme is a cartoon take on Riccardo's F1 car, maybe his off time flyer!

The Helmet was fun, just a piece of pink foam covered in Deluxe Foam Armour and sprayed white, the Smiling Daniel Helmet decal was a trial and took several attempts before an acceptable but not perfect application getting the decal to adhere to the double curvature.

wiggo6 (7).jpg

Posted by Tim @ ModelMarkings.com on 06/01/2016 15:33:05:

...attaches with two skewers,.......

That's how I did it. I hope you are not taking my comment too seriously, I'm sure it will fly just fine without the little triangle.

Max.

Once more I seek your advice please.

I am at the covering stage. I thought it might be best to cover the wing and fuse separately before assembly, due to the difficulty of covering where they join if I don't.

I have found that I cannot slide the wing through the fuse unless I remove one servo first as the splined shaft is obviously proud of the wing surface. Therefore it makes the wing profile too large to shove through. But if I remove it I cannot cover the wing before fitting obviously.

It would seem to me, that I will have to cut a notch both sides, bottom of wing aperture, but this will spoil the fuse covering, and leave the on show. Catch 22?

I hav probably got my knickers twisted, please let me know.

Thanks in advance, Glyn.

Posted by Glyn Calow on 09/01/2016 10:05:18:

PS What is the best method of bonding wing to fuse?

Assuming that you did not fit parts F13 and F14 yet as per the building instructions, just put a bead of PVA glue on the wing saddle, slide the wing in with the trailing edge lifted, then press against the forward end of the opening and rotate down until it sits on its saddle properly. Weight the wing down until the glue has set, then fit and glue F13, and lastly F14. I used PVA for most of the joints.

As for the protruding servo's, just don't cover the servo bay and install it at a later stage. You may want to install some paper tubes to guide the servo leads as I wrote in the building article.

It should not be very difficult to cover the whole plane after assembly, but I choose to cover the wing first, leaving a void near the fuselage to allow for wiping off excess glue. I covered this void with a strip of covering material in the same colour after assembly.

Max.

Glyn,

I covered the wing first, leaving the area covered by the fuselage uncovered. I then glued in the wing before covering the fuselage, I used two balsa blocks each side to add glueing area between the lower wing and the fuselage, I then fitted the triangle shaped fuselage sides to the top of the wing, I used PVA resin glue throughout

Glyn,

My arrangement is similar, a strip of light ply held off the bottom glued on, with a Velcro strap, ESC Velcroed to side, but TX is mounted on top of wing near CG position as its a Lemon RX 3 Axis Gyro and needs to be mounted flat and central to CG pointwp_20160111_09_56_27_pro.jpg

Cheers that info will be a great help.

Rene, good luck for Friday. I'm sure you'll give us good news later.

I have some adhesive from the heat shrink marking the outer surface, my fault, anyone know how I can remove it? Otherwise I may have to recover the wing.

Disaster struck (well, sort of...)

While walking to my car this morning, arms full of flying stuff, I stumbled. The tail of my Wiggo hit the car, helped by my not inconsiderable weight, bend, and pulled out the control horn. An easy fix, but no maiden today.

Not doing any fixing this coming week because I'll be on holiday abroad; London, UK!

Stay tuned...