Wiggo

Max Z

I have started a new design, this time definitely not scale. This is what it looks like on my computer screen:

wiggo1.jpg

I wanted to design a fun model, not too difficult to construct by relative beginners in the art of balsa bashing, but a bit more challenging to fly than your usual beginners model. I am hoping that this will be a future club-mass build, so I am aiming at those guys that have learned to fly on an arf model, but want to try some traditional building.

The design is not entirely original, many years ago I built something like it based on a plan in one of the magazines. I reduced it then by some 30% to suit my OS25 two stroke. It was a great flyer until this not-so-great pilot managed to destroy it. I reduced it again by some 20% this time and completely redesigned it to suit the electrics I have available, span is now 88 cm. Power will be a 1000 Kv motor with a 9x5 propeller on 3s.

I have started to built a prototype, assisted by the friendly people at RBCkits who have provided a set of parts. This is the progress after some 10 days;

wiggobones1.jpg

wiggobones2.jpg

I am hoping to finish the covering soon, so flight testing can begin (when our club field has dried up sufficiently.

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 01/02/2015 12:24:57

Some more computer generated pictures:

wiggo2.jpg

wiggo3.jpg

As you can see from the title I have named it WIGGO, not after the famous UK speed cycling champion, but because "wig" is the Dutch translation of "wedge". And "go" speaks for itself I believe.

Max.

It's finished! Well, apart from some minor details, like fixing the battery and adjusting the controls, but it will fly soon. Here is a picture, although the flash does not do the colours justice:

wiggo_klaar1.jpg

Today, my friend Rob (who provided the machine cut parts and will sell it as a kit soon, see www.rbckits.com) did test fly his prototype which he built in parallel with me, and it was a complete success. Agile, no vices and fun to fly.

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 07/02/2015 19:10:27

Graham is supporting publication, so I am working on the drawing details and the building instructions.

Meanwhile, I have flown the Wiggo at several occasions, and so has flying buddy Rob. Today, we have tried to get some decent in-flight pictures, but the camera settings still need some fine tuning. Although lacking quality, here are some of the best we shot today:

p1010567.jpg

p1010593.jpg

p1010644.jpg

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 15/02/2015 15:57:12

• 2 months later...

Posted by trebor on 20/05/2015 17:07:11:

I might just buy that copy, is it easy to fly for a humble novice pilot ?

That depends. It is not difficult to fly, but it is not self-levelling due to the absence of any dihedral. It needs to banked in and out of turns, you cannot leave it to its own devices for a while. It is docile on pitch stability though, just don't give it masses of down-elevator.

Max.

• 3 weeks later...

Posted by Jim Mchugh on 21/05/2015 21:38:24:

In the mag please!

It should be in the shops by now. David was kind enough to send me a preview of the article, but I will not be able to see the final product until after a few weeks. My copy of the mag arrives a week or so later as subscribers in the UK get it, and I will be leaving for holidays coming monday (to the UK...).

I'll be following this thread at intervals though, so if you have any questions on the build post them here, and I will try to answer them. I intend to go to the Greenacres event bringing my Wiggo, so we will possibly meet there!

Max.

I know it has been stated that it is not scale (and I do like the link Reno). I am absolutely positive that I have seen a picture of a scale aircraft that looked very similar. I thought it was French, although I cannot find a picture, I also thought it was a racing aircraft, again I could not find a picture.

Although it seems strange to place the pilot at the rear, (in a cockpit completely faired into the wedge forming the fin), for tail dragger, due to the poor forward view, I assume that the aircraft I am thinking of probably had the fuel tank over the CG, the pilot being a fixed weight, assuming the same pilot is used and he is tucked away, in a position that is rather convenient.

Now if I could only find it.angry 2

As for Wiggo, seems very interesting, although i would move the servos to easier to build in locations.